REVIEW: S15 EP29 "Evolution By Fire" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: S15 EP29 "Evolution By Fire"

Default Re: S15 EP29 "Evolution By Fire"

I liked how not only were Cilan and Iris getting into Tepig's battle, but Pikachu as well was really pumped to see Tepig and Snivy crush the "fire warriors." I really wished maybe Snivy would have evolved alongside Tepig, but perhaps that would have taken the spotlight on Tepig's solo evolution. I wonder when Snivy and Oshawott will evolve. For any of the starters, Snivy seems to be the one that's been on the cusp of evolving for the longest.

Shamus was a total creep. I'm so glad Pignite fried him at the end and saw through his lying eyes. I wonder if we'll see a lot more of him in the future?
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

A very good episode that combined everything we're used to and like about this show: action, drama, willpower, determination, heroism and a very mature lesson that could be learned in the end.

There is only one thing I don't get. Some of you already mentioned the inconsistencies concerning the rope around Tepig's snout. I'm convinced that it got tied around his mouth accidentally when he was trying to free himself as can be seen in the screenshot from BW004.
    However, I must say that, in this case, it would be rather bad writing. You see, if Shamus "only" tied Tepig to that wooden stake, then a Fire-Pokemon could have freed himself effortlessly by just turning around and using a fire-type move to burn the rope. It's as easy as ABC if you ask me. So, writers, don't get me wrong but where was your sense of logic in that scene?

As for the rest of the episode, I especially loved Snivy cheering up Tepig, her courage and almost heroic commitment when protecting her battling partner from the double attack and last but not least, Ash's determination to prove that so-called trainer wrong. It reminds me of the good old days of Sinnoh when we had plenty of these stories and so, watching this episode almost felt like a journey into the past. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    It would also be nice if Pignite's ability was shown off - either one of the options would be good - Thick Fat would have helped show its ability to have withstood the attacks or Blaze being active would have made the win in the end a bit more balanced - because in the end Pignite still defeated its fully evolved counterpart and a Heatmor in two shots, which is kinda unbelievable.
    You're right and still, I can't agree with you completely.
    Sure, all fire-type starters have Blaze but over the years this ability has become associated with Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape so much that I think the whole fandom would revolt or at least protest if the writer officially gave it to another Pokemon, too. I dare say Blaze is a Chimchar only-thing (almost like a copyright) and so inextricably linked with him and his background story that I wouldn't want to see it on another Pokemon.

To sum it all up: A really awesome episode and something that I guess we've all been waiting for.
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 2nd September 2012 at 05:05 PM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems this episode confirmed that Snivy was once owned by a trainer who abandoned her - I of course didn't catch that watching the original version since I know little Japanese, but I now I know myself.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    I dare say Blaze is a Chimchar only-thing (almost like a copyright) and so inextricably linked with him and his background story that I wouldn't want to see it on another Pokemon.
    That's part of the reason I'd have wanted to see another of Ash's Pokemon have Blaze - to show it not cause a Pokemon to go berserk. I suppose Ash having a vision of how Chimchar first activated it when it happened for Pignite would be too much to ask for, but some awareness of the ability's power would help show Ash can learn things about Pokemon from starting fresh every region.

In the context of the storyline for this episode, perhaps Tepig's Blaze never activated under Shamus, because Tepig was never assured to the degree he is by Ash, so didn't have the same amount of fight in him as he was about to faint. It would fit with the general idea that Ash has a natural ability to get more out of 'weaker' Pokemon that seems to be one of the few constants remaining in the show.

I suppose they demonstrated something similar without using Blaze, by Shamus even commenting that Ash trained Pignite well, but so Blaze isn't overshadowed by the Chimchar storyline, I'd have liked to see it activate here.

Otherwise, give him Thick Fat and use it to make Cilan panic about the food he makes.

Blog Entries

I honestly thought that the dub of this episode was atrocious. 6 pieces of music were kept. After the Title screen, it was all dub music up until Tepig starts to evolve. I did not get enough tension vibe in the English dub as I did in the original japanese version.

Boring rehash. I would have been more interested if people would've used their imaginations to think of a better way to evolve Tepig instead of making him a Monferno clone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 3rd September 2012, 07:05 PM
  2. 3rd September 2012, 06:33 PM
  3. 1st September 2012, 10:39 AM
  4. 1st September 2012, 08:15 AM