Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: REVIEW: XY007: "Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!"

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Default Re: REVIEW: XY007: "Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!"

perf episode was perf

Serena finally getting closure with Satoshi. was very well handled, and it's clear that even though he doesn't feel the exact same way about her (HE TOTALLY DOES WOW THIS SHIP HAS SAILED THO) he views her as a close friend already just as much as he does to anyone else, especially after her help in the Sihorn Race. It was sweet how she gave the cookies not just to Satoshi, but to everyone else, showing that she's not just in it for the Satoshi-d, but she legitimately cares about the rest of the group as well.

As for Serena's goal, I was pleased with the.... lack of closure we got. Although I'm a little miffed that she's still considering Sihorn races because I personally don't like them, I'm glad at how honest she was about keeping her options open and wanting to figure it out for herself which is a great change from Hikari and Iris.

10/10 ep would bang

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

If anyone wants to see the flashback, here it is.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

So why did Serena move to Kalos?

Really loved the anime version of Laverre City's theme <3

Blog Entries

Visit Grabbergirl's Youtube Channel

Nice episode! I loved the part where they were sleeping!

Looks like Serena is our new Brock/Cilan, the cook and navigator. Clemont getting stronger and braver, the power of friendship helped Clemont. Aww Serena made Ash, Bonnie, and Clemont cookies at night, I hope she got enough sleep. Luckily she didn't wake anyone up especially Clemont (who is in the bed next to her). It'd be funny if she chose to make cookies this late at night because she didn't want to hear Clemont's snoring but still good idea. I would love to see her make them breakfast, lunch, and dinner now then little desserts for afterwards.

LOVED it. I would buy drinks for the writers and animators if I could.

Once again there's a lot going on, but nothing feels rushed. They've nailed pacing. Very cool how they had this one start right where the last one ended, I hope that's something they keep up with. I loved how excited Bonnie was over Serena joining. And those Pidgeys taking flight when she joined, was that a John Woo reference? Hahaha.

The flashback scene was fantastic. I think I'm in sugar shock, in a good way. Lil' Ash looks so much like Luffy, which I bet was intentional.

The Ryhorn practice scenes were nice, typical of Ash he eats dirt a lot but perseveres.

Clemont is bad at sustained running, but he can sprint like a mofo. That move he did with the rock was the mutt's nuts. I like how he and Serena saved the day this time, it looks like they're going to spread the action duties among the cast instead of having Ash be the Designated Action Dude all the time. I approve of this.

The video phone scene with Serena's mom was hilarious. I don't know enough Japanese to tell for sure, but I got the impression at the end that Serena told Ash she'd like to hold hands with him again sometime, but he was too captivated by the cookies to notice.

I'm glad the race itself wasn't the main focus of the episode. I was worried this would be yet another "Ash wins a race" episode, we've had enough of those already. The more character driven approach they took was much more interesting. Even though my knowledge of the language is minimal, I thought the character interactions seemed amazingly well done. This is quickly becoming my favorite main cast, they seem like such great friends already. Everyone got to do something, the episode focused on Serena but they didn't use that as an excuse to leave anyone else out. This episode put a huge smile on my face, a great antidote for the crappy weather I've been having.
    Last edited by Johtohfiller; 21st November 2013 at 09:57 PM.

I really loved the scene where the whole gang was talking to Serena's mother over the phone. It wasn't just animated nice with each other pushing to get in camera to talk, it was genuinely endearing of the entire gang.

Also ignore heartfelt thank you and obvious ship tease, eat cookies.

Dat's our Ash.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

i'm actually dying this episode is so cute serena is so cute everyone is so cute

i have to stress again and again how organic the interactions between the characters feel and i think i'm starting to suspect it's because there's no "mentor figure" like dent and takeshi

they all feel like real kids. if it's one of the many criticisms i have of bw i think the characters were a little too unrealistic while serena, citron, and eureka are literally coming alive out of the screen. the build-up for serena especially is slow so far but well-paced. it's not like haruka who felt she had to live up to certain expectations, but serena really looks like she's along for the ride simply to grow. and that's fine when done realistically and honestly which is what i think is happening here. and WOW serena and eureka are perfect sisters already omg. i was literally screaming when she went to join in on the sihorn cuddling; if cuteness could kill we'd all be dead by now. everyone's little...antics... nuances was a word used somewhere in the thread are so ENDEARING without being overdone or overplayed.

and it's been said already (wow, has a season ever been this universally loved just 7 episodes in?!) but the characters play off each other so well and even if the episode focuses on one character over the other i don't feel like there's too much ignoring the other going on. citron still took an active part in the episode and we touched upon his story as well - his insecurities about his status, the bravery he wants to achieve despite his level of skill.

even i feel like the shipping is being written correctly??? like serena HAS IT BAD for our boy clearly but her journey isn't about her feelings for satoshi it's finding her way and learning what she's good at and learning to appreciate herself more. it was really freaking adorable how she kept the handkerchief for so long and that flashback literally had me squealing waah. and her little introspectives also really added to the episode. i really recommend you guys who need subs to wait until the good ones come out because a lot of the shitty ones reallllllly kill the nuances of the dialogue. The cookie scene especially.

one thing i will note is that the animation was a little weird in this episode. the backgrounds and whatnot were standard but the facial expressions were a little bit weird i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilan View Post
    I just really love how well this group interacts with one another. As Monkey D. Luffy would say, these guys are nakama for sure. (In fact the way Ash invited Serena to travel with them reminded me of how Luffy would ask someone to join him. It shows how much Ash cares for his friends if you ask me ^^)
    They've definitely got the nakama vibe going. I think Ash looking like Luffy in the flashback is not a coincidence. There's even a straw hat, although he's not wearing it.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

Look at that beautiful character building and camera work.

Bonus: this episode didn't occur all in one day! I hope we get more episodes like this. c:
    Yato and NeoMiniTails like this.

Smile~

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

OH MY GAWSH THIS EPISODE WAS SO CUTE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

So Ash had taken care of Serena's injured leg and 'accidentally' hugged her when helping her stand up. I was squealing the whole time - what a cute backstory ♥♥♥

It was unexpected that Ash remembered her suddenly, but I'll let that slide for now.
    Serena blushing while giving him cookies? Romance confirmed.

Also, the reason Serena is traveling? Because Ash asked her. Romance confirmed.

I am looking forward to the future episodes where they build up on Ash and Serena's relationship. This is definitely something new, and I can't wait to see how their relationship develops from here - hopefully, they have a lot of fluffy moments ♥

About the Sihorn racing : I guess it was good Serena discovered her passion for racing while teaching Ash. It was a rather good episode, though the Team Rocket part was a bit unnecessary. It was still hilarious, and Serena's character got development, so I'd say it was a well-done episode.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

This episode was pretty good. Bonnie sure looked adorable while sleeping with a Tyrantrum hat. Ash sure fell down a lot while practicing, with Serena falling down as well.

Too bad they didn't restart the Rhyhorn race, would've been interesting to see how it turned out. I like how there were more flashbacks of what Ash did at camp to help out Serena, and that he finally remembered her. It was cute seeing Serena being licked by the Rhyhorn.

Fennekin sure loves battling and helping out. It was nice to see Inkay and Bunnelby get some action in this episode. Serena sure knows how to bake, I wonder if she'll be doing regular cooking as well later on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    This episode was pretty good. Bonnie sure looked adorable while sleeping with a Tyrantrum hat. Ash sure fell down a lot while practicing, with Serena falling down as well.

Too bad they didn't restart the Rhyhorn race, would've been interesting to see how it turned out. I like how there were more flashbacks of what Ash did at camp to help out Serena, and that he finally remembered her. It was cute seeing Serena being licked by the Rhyhorn.

Fennekin sure loves battling and helping out. It was nice to see Inkay and Bunnelby get some action in this episode. Serena sure knows how to bake, I wonder if she'll be doing regular cooking as well later on.

I was just thinking it would be funny if she can only bake desserts but sucks horribly at cooking normal food.
    G50, Yato, novalysis and 2 others like this.
    Can you hear me?

play later - sleep now! Playful_Weasel's Avatar
    Add Playful_Weasel on Facebook Add Playful_Weasel on Google+
    Visit Playful_Weasel's Youtube Channel

When I heard the title of the episode I was thinking to myself -'another boring episode focusing on gen 1 Pokemon - pushing 6th gen Pokemon aside. Boring'- was I surprised! The episode was great, funny, plus it was 'cute' to watch Fennekin again, doing an attack.... it was really funny when the group was pestering Serena' mom (normally I don't like scenes with the human characters being the center of attention - I prefer the Pokemon to be).

Whole Rhyhorn racing was still kind of boring for me, something not interesting to watch (could be that I don't like Rhyhorn in general).
    Last edited by Playful_Weasel; 22nd November 2013 at 06:42 AM.
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
    - 4871-3995-3493
    Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
    I have many teams in Kalos - my original team will always be:
    Original Y Team - IGN Maria: Delphox - Mienshao - Watchog - Lucario - Sylveon - Vaporeon

Avatar drawn by me. Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Yamashita-aka-Doragon on Tumblr Visit Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Youtube Channel

What I liked about this episode most was animation, cool angles and awesome pieces of music they used (like An Adventure Is Beginning or Snowbelle City, specially the latter was do damn beautiful). Really enjoyable one.

Sihorns are cuties. It's so awesome that such a Pokémon that got so little attention in this anime had actually an episode focused on it. Me approves.

And Fokko. Probably the first starter owned by a female travelling companion who's not getting on my nerves (I'm looking at you, Pochama) and despite being usually pretty feminine and all, this one looked so badass while battling Rocket-Dan. Also, he/she's pretty damn cute with all those little things like hushing with Serena when she was baking those cookies or poking her. I wanna see this little fella more.

Those faces. This episode was full of amazing faces, specially during the call with Serena's mom in the end of episode.

Oh yeah, there was some shipping stuff that make me laugh a little. It was cute, I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast