REVIEW: XY007: "Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: REVIEW: XY007: "Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!"

Default Re: REVIEW: XY007: "Leave it to Serena!? The Charging Sihorn Race!"

Too cute, just too cute @_@ This is turning into CardCaptor Sakura (not that I think any pairing will become official, I just mean as in the cuteness). I'm all for it. I'm seriously scared the writers will fuck everything up because I've enjoyed every single episode so much so far. I would never have believed it after the train wreck that was BW.

And wow, Satoshi asked Serena to travel with them, that's a first.

And yes, Satoshi remembered the girl with the straw hat. Classic Satoshi XD But well, she never did tell him her name in the flashback. Unless I forgot.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    And yes, Satoshi remembered the girl with the straw hat. Classic Satoshi XD But well, she never did tell him her name in the flashback. Unless I forgot.
    AWESOME XD
    She never told him her name in the flashback, meaning they had further interaction AFTER that flashback *_* Gimme!

EDIT: Just realised he never have learned Serena's name back then at all so goshdarnit, this is probably all we'll get! Baw, I wanted more adorable flashbacks ;_;
    Last edited by Chatsy; 21st November 2013 at 03:19 PM.
    Yato likes this.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    I would never have believed it after the train wreck that was BW.
    None of that, thank you. BW really doesn't have anything to do with the thread, and insulting it's just gonna start up tensions again.
    Reila and Toa of Gallifrey like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

I have to honest Ash and Serenas relationship is bringing out the hopeless romantic in me! i have never been more into a shipping situation than these two right now. Also I am loving the character growth in every episode and bonnie makes me wish I had a younger sister. Overall Serena being Ash's teacher was great it showed she may be a novice but not at everything in the world of pokemon even though she just started being a trainer. Ash was very funny and Serena warming up to her moms profession as a rhyhorn racer is great, but I think she will pursue something involving fashion, but I dont know what. i also loved how team rocket was both evil and compotent but also funny and predictable, I am so glad they are not complete clowns in this season. To end this post I have more hope for this season than anyother and I have to wonder what will happen when Misty eventually meets Serena...
    Johtohfiller, valzz, Yato and 1 others like this.

Blog Entries

It's just as well that this episode turned out to be character-centric, because that really made up for what would have been a really dull experience watching people ride about on four-legged rocks. The focus Serena got today was a pleasant surprise and I can only hope that the other characters receive the same treatment this season.

It seems like they're going to take their time with Serena's goal and I'm totally okay with that. I wouldn't mind if they spent the whole season with her trying out different things and seeing which is best for her because, let's face it, finding a calling in life is tough and it'll probably be more interesting to watch than Rhyhorn races. The concept of a Pokemon Racer is fine, but it's illogical to me to restrict it by only using one type of Pokemon that isn't the most interesting of species around when you could include all sorts of different types. Unfortunately, with the way Serena seemed to be warming up to the idea of Rhyhorn racing this episode, that could very well be the way she goes.

Incidentally, although I've never ridden any animals before and therefore wouldn't have much authority on this, I can't help but wonder why Ash had so much trouble mounting a Rhyhorn when he managed to mount a bloody Spoink back in DP. Having a girl show him how to use the long hard thing between his legs probably wasn't his proudest moment, either.

One of the things I liked most about this episode was how Team Rocket were dealt with without any intervention from Ash at all, as it not only gave Serena her first battle, but also gave Clemont something to do in an otherwise quiet episode for him. XY also continues to make its characters more expressive with their emotions and gestures this season; who else noticed Ash awkwardly scratching his cheek when he was admitting that Serena's encouragement helped him during his gym battle? Such a small thing that can do wonders for the characters.

Good to see that Serena actually came prepared for her journey with a nice gizmo that can tell her where she's going and some cooking skills so she doesn't starve out in the wild. You know, basic stuff that certain others characters apparently didn't bother with. Also good to see that a group of kids can still do the police's job.

Now let's see if Ash proves he isn't asexual by taking note of the obviously smitten girl he's now travelling with.
    Last edited by VTP-Dawkins93; 21st November 2013 at 04:12 PM.

When that flashback of Ash and Serena happened, I had a tear in my eye for the way of Ash's compassion for young Serena, and I thought it was the onions making me tear.

Wasn't it a surprise? I thought the writers had some bias against shipping because it supposedly detracted from the focus on the Pokémon, but it seems they threw this rule out of a window. And you know what? I really liked it, if that's the strategy the writers are adopting for XY they just got my approval.
    I know the anime is about the Pokémon, but it doesn't mean everything in the Pokéworld literally has to revolve around them. It is nice to see the focus shifted to something else for a change, this episode didn't need much more than an introduction to Rhyhorn races, so shoving the race to the background was actually a good move there. Developing Serena's interaction with Ash is way more important and Rhyhorn racing didn't need much more than an introductory instance here, as the characters said it wasn't even a big race. We can perfectly have a deeper look into that in future episodes.

Adopting? I think you meant "adapting", right? And your right about that that too. Now I wonder if there will be an answer or flashback to why Serena left Kanto.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

That's what's up!

This episode really does show what a solid storyline can do for a tv show, not that I didn't know that already but finally the writers are redeeming the show, just hope it carries over to the english version

This episode gave me warm, fuzzy feelings owo
    Reila likes this.

Serena is totally wonderful. I love that she hasn't come up with a goal yet, I think her trying to find something to pursue could be her goal in and of itself, trying out different stuff throughout the season. Also nice that she's our navigator this time, maybe even the one that cooks. I can't say I care too much about her feelings for Ash, since I don't expect them to get anywhere beyond being just friends (Ash isn't into girls and she's going to leave as soon as gen 7 rolls around anyway), but I don't mind it either.

Everyone else is still going strong too. TR is funny and used appropriately, being absent from important episodes like the gym ones, and appearing here giving Ash's friends a chance to do something. Bonnie's still cute, and I really loved her pajamas. Clemont is still funny with the way he runs, and it seems he found some kind of shortcut while the others took the long way around, because he managed to get there first. Ash was nice, good to see him finally remember Serena, seems logical he would need a more specific explanation of how they met since he does go around helping everyone and it would be hard to remember each one. But what was his problem with getting on Rhyhorn? I'm sure he's done this in some episode before, but whatever. The whole group was really cute in their introduction to Serena's mom.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Wow! I ended up liking this episode I lot more than I thought I would!

First off, let me just say that Ash as a child was adorable. Using some sort of magic trick to remove Serena's pain. That was just too cute. It was also funny seeing him train with the Ryhorn.

Serena training Ash for the race was pretty interesting to watch as well. It was nice to see how experienced she was with the Ryhorn, even though she doesn't really care for the sport. Ryhorn races actually look pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, especially since this one didn't have a real ending. I'm really eager to see what Serena has planned for her future goals.

Now on to Clemont. And to think that I thought that I wouldn't have anything to say about him in this episode. He took the initiative to go save Ash, used Bunnelby to stop Team Rocket, and then jumped in the air and destroyed their remote thing with a rock. Just awesome. I love this guy. It was also really cute how he shook Bunnelby's paw after they beat Team Rocket. I also thought that his little nightcap was cute.

And then there's Bonnie. First and foremost, those Tyrantrum pajamas are adorable. Second, I also liked how she helped untie Ash after Team Rocket caught him. We've got some really great teamwork going on here.

Even Team Rocket had a good plan today and nearly pulled it off.

Overall, a really great episode. 9/10.

Criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinge.
    They are TEN YEARS OLD. Oh my goodness, I think I'm on the verge of cracking

(PS. I loved everything else about this episode!)

Blog Entries

First off, I was ready to hate this episode---merely from the title. =_= However, I was happily wrong about the episode. I don't remember ever having this much development in a character, in one episode, outside of one-off people. It was wonderful change of pace.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I am getting a Clamp/Tsubasa/Card Captor Sakura feel from this season. Everyone works so well off one another... and I can't really describe it, but it's just really well-written.

The little natural movements and how they make them talk is just so natural. I can see some great drama coming up this season... and they're getting rid of many of the cliches of other seasons. Pikachu doesn't have to have the final move to "blast" Rocket Gang off, there aren't just "slight hints" but actual "cutely, romantic" moments... Ash asked a girl, for once, to join them... actually, I think that she may be the first person he ever asked to join him---because everyone else decided on their own to join him.

Clemont and Bonnie were naturally amazing... and I like that everyone has their nuances. I feel like, with this season, they went into the drawing board early on and really fleshed out everyone. I feel like they know these characters like they know their best friend.

Serena seems like the girl who is just trying figure herself out yet I loved how she blushed and got all ready to show off when Clemont complimented her then immediately, teh Saihorn knocked her off---then Bonnie got jealous and went in to play with them.

This group feels like a family unit of brothers and sisters.... or even possibly the closest of friends.

They all complement each other so well.
    Can you hear me?

I just really love how well this group interacts with one another. As Monkey D. Luffy would say, these guys are nakama for sure. (In fact the way Ash invited Serena to travel with them reminded me of how Luffy would ask someone to join him. It shows how much Ash cares for his friends if you ask me ^^) I don't know whether it's because we're back to a group of 4, the writing this season, or both, but the way these group of kids interact makes them seem like family/close friends already. I think it's because they're all roughly around the same age as well (or at least it looks like it. I'm not sure if Clemont is supposed to be the same age as Brock or Cilan. He looks closer to Ash's age) and it doesn't feel like one of them is left hanging on the sidelines while the others save the day. Again I think that's because we have an even amount of people traveling together again.

Also Clemont was amazing and I loved how he used Bunnelby to stop Team Rocket. And Bonnie is a cute little kid without being an annoyingly cute little kid.
    Keep it up XY writers :D

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast