REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!" - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!"

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!"

Well, I guess I can't say I'm surprised that Ash didn't remember Serena, But not exactly how they met - though it does make sense.

Horray for the return of serious battle training. It seems Ash and Alexa trained for hours until dinner time, then into nightfall. I hope this continues.

Loved the way Bonnie got tired as she cheered for Ash's training when it was past her bedtime and Clemont walked her to bed. I still just love how she's treated as being a kid her age in every conceivable way while still being adorable and fun.

The gym battle rematch was also well done overall. Lots of strategies and counterattacks done. I'm okay that it only lasted half the episode, while the first half was devoted to counter-training. Not every gym match needs to last an entire episode. I am, on one hand, a little disappointed that Fletchling didn't get a win, while Pikachu finished both of Viola's Pokémon - after all, Fletchling worked just a hard as Pikachu to prepare for the rematch - but no big deal.

Lol @ Clemont's invention actually helping Ash, both before and after it falls apart. XD
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

Blog Entries

I love this series, I really do.

We start off with more intense training, which is pretty cool. I liked seeing Keromatsu again, and its relationship with Yayakoma. It looks as if they are going to have a strong relationship, which I love. Speaking of relationships, I get a vibe that Satoshi and Serena are going to have an amazing one. The way she acted when Satoshi didn't remember was really mature (Something I can't imagine any other female companion doing). It's also really nice how she encourages Satoshi; that's something else I love.

I'm not too worried about Satoshi not remembering Serena. A, because its Ash, and B, I'm sure the writers are going to touch the subject again and have him spontaneously remember.

The battle itself was good, and I liked seeing Yayakoma in battle. Too bad it wasn't battling for long though. I was honestly hoping that as it was falling to the ground, it was going to shoot back up with Flame Charge, but I guess Steel Wing is an acceptable move; it will be good for dem rocks. It also would have let Viviyon show off Powder, but oh well. I understand that Pikachu got the win to help showcase his and Satoshi's bond, but it still would have been nice for Yayakoma to win.

Overall, it was a great episode that showcased the new animation, Satoshi's battle style, and the whole groups personality. Ending it with a cliff hanger only makes me more excited for next week. What a fantastic episode.
    x
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest
    profile pic ~ my poetry ~ my fan-fiction
    x

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I really liked this episode. It was nice to see all of the brief flashbacks with Ash and Serena when Ash would say something that he used to say at the time. Not too surprised that he didn't remember her from back then. The battle was animated very well, and I like that even though Fletchling didn't get a win that it was still able to show off the improvements that it made during the training they went through.

It was funny seeing Clemont's machine blow itself up when the sticky stuff got jammed inside of it. Bonnie was cute when she was falling asleep at the end of the day and Ash's training. Nice to see Froakie get some action in this episode, helping the Pokemon train and minimally hitting Fletchling to say "good job".

It was nice to see Ash give credit to everyone for their help during training that led to him being able to win the Gym Battle.

Just watched this one again, with good subs this time. I'm convinced now that "giving each other inspiration" is the theme of this series. You can see it with Serena reminding Ash of what he told her when they first met, Clemont saying he gets courage from Ash, Ash fanboying over Clemont's inventions, Ash saying everyone contributed to his victory, it's even in the opening animation with the scene where Ash's friends are giving him support. I think the reason the writing for this series is so good is because they went into it with a solid idea of what they want to accomplish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Just watched this one again, with good subs this time. I'm convinced now that "giving each other inspiration" is the theme of this series. You can see it with Serena reminding Ash of what he told her when they first met, Clemont saying he gets courage from Ash, Ash fanboying over Clemont's inventions, Ash saying everyone contributed to his victory, it's even in the opening animation with the scene where Ash's friends are giving him support. I think the reason the writing for this series is so good is because they went into it with a solid idea of what they want to accomplish.
    I agree. I think that may've been the problem with last season was the lack of clear direction and also the earthquake which messed up much of the original planning... I honestly think BW would've been good if RL hadn't gotten in the way and the story began to suddenly lose focus and never catch back onto it again.

This episode along with what we've all seen so far seems to lead very well with your hypothesis.

The good thing is, it doesn't come off as corny which could easily happen. Digimon tends to go very cornball on these subjects, but I am glad that Pokemon is bale to take something like teamwork/giving strength/etc and make it come off as very mature and strong for the plot.
    Can you hear me?

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

What a fantastic gym battle.

I can't believe Ash actually used Clemont's mishap as a way to get himself out of the Sleep Powder mess. And I love how the ice actually ended up being a sort of disadvantage for Viola at the end as it prevented Viola's Vivillion from moving properly. And I'm not mad at all that Fletchling lost. It got a victory in the first battle against Surskit and even in the rematch it landed a couple of hints before being taken out by the Sleep Powder, so it's fair. And I loved the animation, God, Electro Ball seems SO much cooler without the regular blue background. If this is how the first gym turned out, then I can't wait for the other seven, as long as Ash keeps up with regular training sessions.

It was nice of Ash to acknowledge that everyone helped him win this battle, and even after Clemont said he only messed up, Ash encouraged him saying it was his own accident that led to Ash winning.

Oh, and Bonnie was adorable, like always. It's only natural a little girl can't stay up for long.

Overall, a really good episode. XY quality continues - yes, a good episode.
    Last edited by Tsutarja; 23rd November 2013 at 02:25 AM.
    Johtohfiller and NeoMiniTails like this.

Blog Entries

I have not been thrilled by a pokemon battle since Satoshi's battle with Shinji in the Suzuran league. Oh my god. It was so amazing. I do not care that Yayakoma couldn't snatch a win. What counts is that it put up an awesome fight and it actually got defeated because it slept. Bibiyon was a monster and I love the realistic way in which it was defeated. And Serena???? <3
    NeoMiniTails likes this.
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Blog Entries

Great episode. I really enjoyed the battle, although I think Satoshi could have used Keromatsu and Yayakoma instead of Pikachu and the bird.

The animation was excellent. Satoshi elaborating strategies based on Citron's invention was really clever.

Also, his interaction with Serena are so sweet and I am not even a fan of shipping. Pansy already realized that Serena likes Satoshi in a way or another lol

X&Y has been great so far. The quality is certainly on par with the quality of the X&Y games :')

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234