REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!" - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!"

Moe
    Blog Entries

Default Re: REVIEW: XY006: "Decisive Battle on the Ice! Pikachu VS Viviyon!!"

It's interesting how Sleep Powder seemed to be lingering drowsiness for Pikachu instead of just taking him totally out. Perhaps with Fetchling being a flying type it's more logical that it's hard to stay flying with even a slight impediment like that.

Not surprised Ash couldn't remember Serena, though obviously Pikachu and Fetchling have a good sense for that kind of thing with how they ran away. Ash's laugh on remembering something out of that made me think he was about to flip into being evil and possessed like that Battle Frontier episode.

The episode as a whole was well balanced time wise, with some development for all the characters - Clemont putting Bonnie to bed while she was still mumbling in support especially, those two are great so far. Seemed odd that Serena didn't recognise Froakie with how she was following him along on TV though.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    And the XY awesomeness continues...
    Yayakoma worked hard and its skills improved (even if a little), so I really don't care about the loss... It looked like they were caught off guard by Vivillon's Sleep Powder, that's all.

Eureka, stop being so adorable.
    Can I sue for her being so adorable in every little way that's realistic... her falling asleep while he was training ("Such a kid" **Iris voice**) and everything she does in general, aye... amazing.

My favorite scenes had to be between Satoshi and Serena... his asking her of what she plans to do, her not being sure, the scene later when Ash is getting lost in his mind when he hears her voice and snaps out of it and remembers Citron's fail the night before...

I love these characters. They are so natural together.

There were a few scenes that seemed straight from Origins and into this episode. Can't remember which, but a few that reminded of it. The storytelling seems to be much more closely to how Origins was done, plot heavy and very character-oriented rather than just seeing what could be funny...

I didn't expect Ash to remember her, just as I don't expect him to remember Giselle from the first season if they were to meet again... especially it being so long ago.

That quote of Ash's that she remembered, I wonder what was so special about it that she kept it so dear. **thinks hard** Hopefully, they'll give a good reason like they gave Hikari a good reason why she got so embarrassed about the nickname.

So far, if this keeps up, this will be one of the best season, if not, the best they've given us.

Who else feels like the storyline is more similar to something like Rorouni Kenshin or the like.... very much like Origins, where it goes for girls and boys... making a very strong cast, plot, and development.

I loved it.
    Can you hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMiniTails View Post

There were a few scenes that seemed straight from Origins and into this episode. Can't remember which, but a few that reminded of it. The storytelling seems to be much more closely to how Origins was done, plot heavy and very character-oriented rather than just seeing what could be funny...

Who else feels like the storyline is more similar to something like Rorouni Kenshin or the like.... very much like Origins, where it goes for girls and boys... making a very strong cast, plot, and development.
    I wasn't overly crazy about Origins myself, but overall I agree with you, it has a more dramatic feel than past seasons.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMiniTails View Post

I wasn't overly crazy about Origins myself, but overall I agree with you, it has a more dramatic feel than past seasons.
    I feel that the story is going to head for a very dramatic, much more emotionally-explicit than past seasons... I kind of want Citron to fall for Serena and there'd be a dramatic love triangle... haha...

Ah yes, now, I remember where it reminded me of Origins... during the gym battle when the pokemon fell into the already set up ice beams in the air, it slowed it down.... it reminded me of the battle against Brock in Origins... a very effective use of setting up dramatic endings that make sense for battles and using the game strategy even just a bit.
    Can you hear me?

The next great summoner

Fantastic episode overall! The training segments were surprisingly fun to watch. Each character interaction helped flesh them out more. Serena put aside Ash not remembering her pretty easily, Clemont named his latest invention in reference to Ash's determination (and even the machine's failure helped out in the end), and Bonnie is so cute it should be illegal.

Pikachu and Fletchling had trouble with resisting powerful attacks, but showed no issue whatsoever dodging. It was good to see the training really pay off, and hopefully the progress made here isn't just a one-off for the gym battle.

Ash is also showing a bit more personality too. His response to Serena's comment about not giving up was kinda interesting, laughing at himself for forgetting his own ideals. This is the first series where Ash is the senior-most member of the main cast, and he's surprisingly fit the role well, showing maturity without sacrificing his fiery determination.

Fletchling performed really well, despite the loss - I think the episode did well if a Pokemon could lose so quickly yet still be shown as an impressive battler. Pikachu, I think, didn't really reset much this season. Before this battle, Pikachu's Thunderbolt never hit its mark in the XY series so far. Here we see Pikachu's Thunderbolt cut straight through Signal Beam, and Electro Ball even cut through Solar Beam. Pikachu may have lost to Viola's superior strategy before, but as long as he can get off a solid attack it seems his raw firepower and speed hasn't regressed.

I also thought the Electro Ball to wake up was a bit odd - more anime physics, although smacking yourself with electricity would certainly wake anyone up I suppose - but I also remembered that the new move Electric Terrain keeps Pokemon from falling asleep. Dunno if that was an intentional reference, but it was pretty clever nonetheless.

The animation was also fantastic. Watching Fletchling and Pikachu dodge was amazing, and plenty of attention to detail was given in showing how Viola affected the battlefield using Ice Beam. I think my favorite bit was Pikachu struggling to keep awake - it showed strong determination to keep going.

Special mention goes to Viola - she was a blast to watch. If anything, she may have been a little over-the-top... Seriously, if people thought May was weird when she did the little photo thing, Viola must be downright crazy. Still, she's got style, with the skills to match. My only real complaint this episode was towards the end - before, Viola didn't think much of Ash's battling, but having lost this time, she didn't really have much to say besides the standard congrats. I wish more was done with that.

The XY Series is looking great so far! With the improvement to animation, pacing, characterization and attention to detail, I think there's legitimate reason to have high hopes for this season (... but I'll resist still, for now). Next week, it seems Serena will finally get to take the spotlight. Looking forward to it!

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Another good episode.

The characters were all well done. Serena's "rejection" was pretty graceful - she showed disappointment but no resentment, and continued to cheer Satoshi on throughout the whole thing. It was a fun twist to see how Citron's invention NOT being a failure for a change - and Eureka's sleepy cheering on of Satoshi during training was actually the most precious thing I've ever seen pls send help.

The battle itself was very good, not quite as good but still very well choreographed and on par with the best of past series. It's a shame Yayakoma got taken out so quickly but it still had its development so I'm not too worried. Satoshi's statement that it wasn't just his victory, but all of theirs was really fitting after what's happened the past two episodes.

Suuuuuuuuuuper looking forward to next week and hopefully finding out once and for all what Serena's goal is!
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

i really have to second everyone when i think the emotional stakes and drama are much higher already than they seemed to be in BW.

what i like so much about this series so far is how utterly organic and authentic it seems. The build-up so far has been paced well (IMO, though, i know part of the internet disagrees) and i think the characters are really being handled with care.

it's the subtlety that i've become very impressed with. the character 'tics' are being used to facilitate their development, which wasn't really what i was seeing consistently in BW which was stronger in ag/dp. serena's feels for our favorite determinator shounen hero are facilitating the development of her story - which isn't, admittedly, the most progressive or interesting or new way to handle a female lead's story, but she is seen already to be both unselfish and gracious. i also really like eureka and serena so far, i might actually die if eureka starts calling serena 'serena-neechan' or something.

eureka is the surprise "omg words cannot express how much i love her" for me so far, she's so realistic from her movements to her vocalises to her personality. and even though citron and eureka obviously took a back seat in focus from this episode (there was the gym battle and the fated serena/satoshi reunion, after all), what we did see was still an interesting character study that still felt organic and not contrived - citron's invention and his insecurity about it, and eureka's cheering.

tl;dr everyone is so cute help

edit: ALSO WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THIS but citron is literally my soulmate we have the same appreciation for terrible puns neba neba give up xoxo
    Last edited by Aestivate; 15th November 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
    what i like so much about this series so far is how utterly organic and authentic it seems. The build-up so far has been paced well (IMO, though, i know part of the internet disagrees) and i think the characters are really being handled with care.

eureka is the surprise "omg words cannot express how much i love her" for me so far, she's so realistic from her movements to her vocalises to her personality. and even though citron and eureka obviously took a back seat in focus from this episode (there was the gym battle and the fated serena/satoshi reunion, after all), what we did see was still an interesting character study that still felt organic and not contrived - citron's invention and his insecurity about it, and eureka's cheering.
    Agreed. What really struck me in particular was when Ash laughed while talking with Serena, that was an "Is this an actor voicing a cartoon or is this a real dude?" kind of moment for me. It just felt so real.

I like Eureka/Bonnie a lot too. Characters like her are difficult to pull off right, but so far there's nothing I don't like about her.

The web cannon pun was awesome, hahahaha.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post

Agreed. What really struck me in particular was when Ash laughed while talking with Serena, that was an "Is this an actor voicing a cartoon or is this a real dude?" kind of moment for me. It just felt so real.

I like Eureka/Bonnie a lot too. Characters like her are difficult to pull off right, but so far there's nothing I don't like about her.

The web cannon pun was awesome, hahahaha.
    I really agree. I loved that part with Satoshi laughing; it felt genuine, more like I was watching something much more mature than the show that I had been watching during BW. I felt like something that I would do.

The maturity of Satoshi is very welcoming as he has been shown with Eureka and Serena, his ability to build up and make people stronger seems to be a major focus on his character this season.

The cast's maturity of being believable reminds me of Fairy Tail and Tsubasa where it can keep the hilarity, the fun, and everything and still feel organic and not contrived. It just feels like a much more mature season. Hopefully, when it is dubbed, it keeps this tone.
    Johtohfiller likes this.
    Can you hear me?

Blog Entries

I think what I liked about this episode was not only there was a good balance between rematch training and a satisfying rematch with Viola, but also the fact that it focused on the human characters. During previous series most of the training was for the Pokémon's benefit, here it manages to help develop characters like Serena and Citron and their relationships with Satoshi. It's a really nice change of pace on the writer's part; I just hope the focus on the Pokémon themselves doesn't fade away because of that.

I do agree with a lot of you guys that the interactions between the human characters in XY seems natural and realistic than before. I think part of the reason that's true is because the main characters are all roughly around the same age. Satoshi's interactions with Citron (who I think is 12 or 13 years old) would be kind of weird if he had the same interactions with Takeshi or Dent (who I think are in their late teens.)

Blog Entries

What I think is really going to help this cast of characters is the absence of that designated "carer"; that older character that has all the knowledge and looks after the younger members of the group. Their role was to always "give" to the younger members, but rarely receive anything in return. Brock or Cilan would use their experience and knowledge to pass on advice and help with the character development, but wouldn't actually develop as character themselves and that sort of gives the group an artificial or formulaic feel to it.

This current group seem to have better symbiosis. Ash will learn from Clemont's machines or feel empowered by Serena's encouragement, but at the same he will boost their confidence and give them advice as well. I prefer this sort of balance since it gives the cast room to be mature on their own.

It's helping, too, that we've dove right into the characters' background and story so far this season instead of having to wait. It seems like things are more character driven this time round.

Two things I really loved about the rematch. First is Ash using Viola's own strategy against her in icing the the things other than the ground by messing up Surskit and later knocking Vivillon into it, much like how Surskit would set up the Sticky Web and then Vivillon knocked Fletchling into it. The second is finally giving me a good reason why Electro Ball even exists. Pikachu can't attack itself with Thunderbolt, but with this it has a means of fighting off Sleep or maybe things like Attract and Confusion down the line. That he came up with it based on Clemont's invention backfiring is just the icing on the cake. The way Ash is adapting his style to his friends and opponents reminds me of how him and Dawn used to practice together and influence each other's styles, and I love it being back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikafanboy View Post
    Two things I really loved about the rematch. First is Ash using Viola's own strategy against her in icing the the things other than the ground by messing up Surskit and later knocking Vivillon into it, much like how Surskit would set up the Sticky Web and then Vivillon knocked Fletchling into it. The second is finally giving me a good reason why Electro Ball even exists. Pikachu can't attack itself with Thunderbolt, but with this it has a means of fighting off Sleep or maybe things like Attract and Confusion down the line. That he came up with it based on Clemont's invention backfiring is just the icing on the cake. The way Ash is adapting his style to his friends and opponents reminds me of how him and Dawn used to practice together and influence each other's styles, and I love it being back.
    I loved that also! Those were things that I missed in the last season; it was proof that he had been improving since he first started, the ability to strategize and use other people's plans to his own advantage.

It was also what set him apart in DP and now, in this season.. was his unorthodox fighting style.. which BW sort of touched on in the beginning with his battle with Cilan (but it seemed more like naive trust rather than plans), but that lady couldn't have expected that Satoshi had planned on using her own strategy against her.

And, yes, for the first time, electro ball made me excited as I had been sort of disappointed with the move choice for some time because it didn't seem as epic as I'd hope it to be, but finally, it was as epic as I had always wished. I can see some amazing battles coming in the future.

Hopefully, this season will also fix the lack of good movies that the last generation couldn't seem to get right... I forced myself to like the first one only because of the semi-sad ending.
    Can you hear me?

Blog Entries

This was a pretty good episode it wasn’t the best but it wasn’t disappointing either.

I’m not shocked that Ash didn’t remember Serena given his past obviousness to the opposite gender. This guy has been electrocuted almost as much as Team Rocket not to mention Bites to the head by Turtwig and Gible so those brain cells probably didn’t survive from childhood…just kidding!

No surprise that the only reason Ash remembered the moment in childhood at summer camp was when Serena repeated one of his “never give up” phrases but he didn’t remember her…

I feel that he will eventually remember and honestly I think that is a lot better than him remembering her at first glance, she likes him but he is obvious to it and that is the end of that

So at the moment I am unsure about what the writers are doing with the Ash/Serena “relationship” or shipping or whatever you want to call it but I hope that they do something interesting with it for a change you know?

Now in terms of the gym battle rematch training it was GREAT to see Ash going something that he never did in BW; TRAIN!

It was like I was watching D/P series again and I loved every moment of it!

Now on to the battle, Pikachu being the star…well…looking at his first battle; Fletchling was the one to take out a Pokemon and then lose while here it is the one to lose after Pikachu ends up taking out 2 Pokemon nearly by himself

I was thinking the whole time just Thunderbolt em! Both of her Pokemon were weak to Electric attacks but hey it is all good

I was just in love with the screen seeing Ash using strategy and we haven’t seen that for awhile. I was a little surprised that Razor Wind didn’t just slice through the Sleep Powder but I suppose that since it enveloped the tiny bird that it was a lingering effect that knocked him out

But it was a great battle and in terms of Pikachu not sleeping…see it would not have bothered me as much if it was knocked out by the powder but woke up for an Electo Ball to counter Solarbeam before a Thunderbolt for the win kind of like how his Sceptile woke up from Darkrai’s Dark Void right after falling asleep for the final attack

Regardless it was a cool battle and I just hope that Pikachu isn’t the star of all of these gym battles in the future but I think X/Y is off to a good start I don’t want to “jynx” it but I think that we are in for a fun ride!

I'm really enjoying XY so far since it brought back strong points from the past series

Fletching was handled quite well here in my opinion, Pikachu was the star pokemon, and yes he did get 2 KO's, but there's more to it. Pikachu managed to defeat Vivillion while the only attack he managed to land was a SE thunderbolt. When Fletching was affected by sleep powder, there's also a clear shot of Vivillion taking point blank razor wind which seemed to really hurt it. And prior to this he also managed to land a steel wing on it. For a freshy caught pokemon, that's a lot of damage on a ace pokemon, and it was because of this Pikachu's Tbolt took it out so easily.

He wasn't incompetent , just visibly inexperienced, and not having enough offensive and defensive prowess yet to outmuscle something as powerful as a gym ace pokemon. Compared that to some past gym losses, in which pokemon far stronger then current Fletching just got streamrolled in bizarre ways without doing anything significant in return. Pikachu and Fletching could both be considered stars here since they both did very well to their realistic ability at this point. I hope they keep this up in later gyms, so far XY really has done well on the ''what can this pokemon do'''aspect, even Froakie had some involvement with the win indirectly.
    NeoMiniTails and Foxeaf like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast