REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!" - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Viviyon's Dance Battle!!"

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Nice episode

1. Bonnie used French expressions - it's a minor note, but I found it amusing they actually used the French word to remind us they're in PokeFrance.
    While we may have to watch more episodes, it seems Bonnie wants to choose ladies who are confident and proud of their jobs. (Like how Viola is an excellent photographer). My guess is Citron has confidence issues, and Bonnie thinks a confident girlfriend may help his self-esteem?

That, or Bonnie just wants Citron to get a girlfriend whoever SHE likes XDD btw, Clemont getting flustered and embarrassed over Bonnie's actions was very cute :D

2. Ash lost the first match, but he didn't lose it like a noob. He had the type advantages in mind instead of pointlessly throwing in a pokemon just because he 'believes'. Also, I like how part of the reason Ash lost is due to the gym terrain getting ice'd over and sticky'd.

3. I understand how it must be exciting for Serena to finally having met her old friend, but I can't help but get shipping vibes from her. Especially that last moment when she asks Ash if he remembers her, and the screen turns reddish for dramatic effect. It would be pretty cute if she had a childhood crush on Ash :D

Default Re: REVIEW: XY005: "The Hakudan Gym Battle! The Magnificent Bibiyon's Dance Battle!!"

Good to see Team Rocket absent in this episode, as they weren't necessary (and the episodes they were in so far have been great in their relevance to what is going on, so how they are using them is just win-win). Serena really must have kicked it into high gear going through that forest to catch up in the middle of the gym battle, I assumed she would show up after the loss while Ash was training for the rematch since she had so much ground to cover. Anyway, the gym battle was amazing. I don't even mind Ash losing, because it wasn't like he was making any foolish decisions, it's just Viola is leagues better than she is in the games. Icing the field and setting up Sticky Web for later were brilliant, I love seeing the Gym Leaders being so strategic. I also really love the way Ash is training them to resist Gust, while jumping in to catch them himself each time they fail. Such a caring guy, I really like Ash.

I like how people(i think) mentioned that the terrain was altered most gym leaders up to know have not done this against Ash most have just used a certain set terrain, except for Juan in Sootopolis, this is major because it shows that ash lost against seasoned gym leader with rare smarts, Ash did not expect that and was crushed because he did not expect it.

Why do I have the feeling they're going to play the 'dimwitted Ash' card and start the next episode by saying he doesn't remember Serena? That would be such a kick in the teeth...

Y Rotation Team

I'm the Blaze Master now! InfernoFlames's Avatar
    On a boat to Castelia City harbor for the bacon
    Blog Entries

They're still doing the ol' "meet the gym leader before knowing they're the gym leader" routine i see. At least this time it was subtle and quick.

3DS FC: 2492-4691-1324
    I
    URPG Trainer Stats

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glad that Ash lost in fairly believable manner. Pikachu never landed an electric attack on Surskit, only an Iron Tail - which doesn't have as much effect on a Water-type - and Fletchling took quite a beating before going down. Not to mention Viola freezing the battlefield to her advantage.

I have to say that Serena's asking Ash if he remembers her was a good way to end the episode, to keep the suspension until the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Serena finally joins the group at last, after 5 record-breaking episodes.
    Brock also joined Ash five episodes in his journey, and Cilan didn't join him until six episodes in BW, actually.

I'm gonna go with no, Ash doesn't remember her. No reason for Ash to introduce himself if it was to someone he knows already.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I’ll start off on what I liked about this episode, Viola, Alexa, Bonnie and the battle rocked this episode in many areas for me. Alexa, I found pretty humdrum in all of Da! but she’s become much better in XY so far. It seems like she has more a personality and spice about herself in-general, back in the first episode her facial expressions and reactions to Ash getting worked up over Viola not being present, her watching the battle with so much fire, the discussion she had with her sister on Ash and the training she’s helping him continue to forego with. She just held overall more of a presence regularly in an episode outside of her little exposition with Gogoat back in Da! That’s a good thing, I hope this is some type of small foreshadowing of her at least battling Viola in the first as well. It’s like watching her sister awakened something within herself.

Viola was fierce, she was a nicely characterized gym leader and I liked all her camera-laced dialogue(focus Signal Beam!, shutter chance!) and I’m glad they didn’t neglect that aspect of her from the games. She was fiery during the battle, it was a fun battle to watch from her side because she was quite to the tactician and fun to watch, I really mean that. I found myself rooting for her than Ash at times. She’s definitely the type of chick who utilizes brutal conventions conventions and tactics to unsettle her opponents in combat and mercilessly goes in for the kill when her opponents are immobilized. I enjoyed every minute of it what she did, even the camera hands she made before the final shot Solar Beam. Was awesome and she looked so strong alongside her Bug Pokemon.

Can we just have more Bonnie in this show? Because I feel like more Bonnie would help it a lot. The little girl’s proposal to Viola and how over-the-top she was with even throwing in some french was funny to watch, all the while wearing Dedenne as a crown in the scenes before and after were brilliant.(Hopefully the bride gag isn’t overused.) She’s such an enjoyable character so far in XY, even during the battle when she commented on the ice field Dedenne throws in a few “ne ne!” which is probably a pun in the Japanese version of the show with Dedenne agreeing with Bonnie, yes the field is frozen. XD Then her scenes with calling Serena Onee-chan and than celebrating Yayakoma’s victory by slapping hands with her were adorable. I don’t think I could ever hate such a character.

Cons about the episode? Well I can’t pretend there weren't any. As enjoyable as Viola and her strategic methods were the battle suffered from being too short. I expected they would at least spend half the episode on it, but they didn’t and it really went by too quickly. Surskit barely took any damage and went down too quickly for my taste to Fletchling, a newly-caught bird, you don’t really expect that out of a gym leader’s Pokemon, especially one that managed to put Pikachu away in two hits no less. Then again with Vivillion taking on Fletchling, it was just too easy. I know they wanted to establish Vivillion as this beast mode butterfly right off the bat but I think at least showing Fletchling as somewhat competent against it would have been more satisfying and would have made the whole final bout feel less curb-stompy. It managing to render Surskit helpless only to be ruled completely obsolete against Vivillion just felt so weird. I hope in the rematch that the preview is playing tricks on my eyes and Viola uses an evolved Surskit as a Masquerain to shake things up a little bit.

But yeah, Alexa and Viola were right in their conversation about Ash’s power being pretty okay-ish and how he wasn’t prepared. Just more of his usual, go-getter, hotblooded, Shounen self. In his excitement he didn’t take the time to evaluate the gym leader, her skill, no analyzing her Pokemon in combat and thinking of something amazing on the fly like Electro Ball against Bunnelby to make a small change. Just relying on brute force over and over and that worked for Surskit but not Vivillion. And Pikachu against Surskit, despite the fact Pikachu has an advantage, was a bad decision imo. Froakie’s superior jumping and frubbles could have been useful for nailing such a speedy opponent. Basically it felt more like Ash wasn’t thinking ahead and was expecting to get lucky than he was there to earnestly get a badge. I just don’t feel like he brought his A-game. I just felt like he was expecting a walk in the park and not a real test.

Oh yeah….I feel like I should mention it so..yeah, there was some AmourShipping. :p So, yeah, enjoy that shipping, shipper super fans.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 9th November 2013 at 03:00 AM.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post
    Brock also joined Ash five episodes in his journey, and Cilan didn't join him until six episodes in BW, actually.
    True enough, but then he wasn't introduced 5 episodes before and appeared in every episode until then. I meant something like that, so sorry about the misunderstanding.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

I have finally seen the episode, and I loved it. I am one of those people who, when Misty left, thought I'd never like the show again however, characters like Dawn and Serena have restored my faith in this show. I love the group; it is my favorite dynamic so far. I like the fact that everyone save for Bonnie are about the same age and yet everyone is so different and no one, in this season, is over the top. In fact, I find their characterizations more realistic than ever before.

Clemont is definitely the smart, pays attention to everything character who is just an awesome character to watch.
    Bonnie is just pure adorable-ness who has a pokemon who is like Wubbofet, always agreeing. haha.
    Serena with her schoolgirl crush on Satoshi...
    and Satoshi... the one with boyish charm... just a very nice dynamic.

I personally liked the length of the battle as it was exciting, pretty, and gave time to develop other characters. Now, if it came off as BW battles tended to come off (like they're summarized), it would've pissed me off.

The interactions were wonderful... and I love that Serena is kind of shy but also outgoing.

I am wondering if she'd be a yandere. lol.

Also, I kind of want a love triangle between Clemont, Serena, and Satoshi... it would be a nice change of pace.

That cliffy... aww, the amourshipper in me is getting way too excited.
    Can you hear me?

Avatar drawn by me. Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Yamashita-aka-Doragon on Tumblr Visit Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Youtube Channel

Really sweet episode! So many cool angles, great animation (Shimura, I had lost my faith in you during BW, but you can really do great job!) and of course - a lot many good tracks from X/Y-games and movie 15. Can I even ask for more?

As for plot and events, this episode was full of awesomeness. I'm so eager to know more about Satoshi's and Serena's relationship (damn I'm gonna laugh so hard if Satoshi just says in the next episode "...who are you?"). Eureka just asking Viola to marry Citron...priceless. Speaking of Eureka and Citron, I love those two. I really mean that. I just can't get over how when Citron is "serious" his glasses glow - and that's just so damn creepy, making him totally awesome. And Dedenne on Eureka's head? That's. Just. So. Damn. Cute. My favorite siblings from this anime for sure. Sorry Haruka and Masato, I like you, too, but...

The gym battle, so much amazing animation and cool strategies. We've actually seen the ice thing being used before (Regice anyone?), but using that to max Ametama's speed is actually pretty smart.

The training in the end of episode...eh, why they're holding balloons? Sorry if I missed something, but I didn't really see any reason for that. Specially with Yayakoma: if those balloons was for making them float or something...whatever, I don't know. But it was really nice to see Onvern doing something, that guy is great.

The next episode: training, rematch and the first XY episode animated by Iwane! That's gonna be so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoFlames View Post
    They're still doing the ol' "meet the gym leader before knowing they're the gym leader" routine i see. At least this time it was subtle and quick.
    Let's just be happy for Satoshi that he arrived at a Gym that was open with a leader who took his challenge straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamashita-aka-Doragon View Post
    The training in the end of episode...eh, why they're holding balloons? Sorry if I missed something, but I didn't really see any reason for that. Specially with Yayakoma: if those balloons was for making them float or something...whatever, I don't know.
    Well for one there's the in game 'Air Balloon' item, but it's fairly logical - if you're made to be lighter by a balloon you have to work even harder to be blown away, so by being able to fight against that (even as a flying type) with a balloon making it harder to not fly away, then you should easily survive a normal gust without one.

I didn't mind Ash losing here, no one was knocked out in one shot and Pikachu was genuinely thrown off guard. It would be nice if they work on replacing Electro Ball - would be nice if Pikachu had a move that hit all around without doing something like counter-shield (which probably wouldn't work on ice) - Discharge perhaps? Just as a way of Pikachu countering this situation in the future of a Pokemon using speed against him for once.

I love like how Bonnie's 'keep it, keep it' line was the same with Dedenne as it was for Viola.

Im hoping that for once Ash actually develops romanitc feelings for another i.e. Serena I know Misty is the big potentialnlove interest but to see that Ash mature to the point of returning romantic feelings would great character growth, I dont know I may be just ticking some people off with this post...

I honestly can't say that i am upset over pikachus loss, I mean if he won every battle the anime would be so boring its nive also to see ash crushed emotionally over his pokemon getting hurt, it makes him seem more human and humble, I hope to continue to see him confidant but still humbled by his wins and losses

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast