REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!" - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

  1. #31
    Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,565
    Blog Entries
    186

    Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Yeah! I thought he sounded different than usual. By chance, they didn't change his voice actor, did they?
    Pretty sure it was the same actually, just the use of Engrish giving it a different air about itself through the accent.


    Anyone notice the way Maika used Foul Play? It grabbed Dedenne before it could make contact and forcibly threw it back to the ground using the momentum from Tackle. Foul Play in-game takes power from its opponent’s Attack and that determines how strong it’ll be, that was a neat little game to anime translation.

  2. #32

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Dedenne is amazingly cute, just wow. Superb. Bonnie is too, and seeing the way she was rubbing the Pokemon makes me think of Amie. I'm also really loving the inventions blowing up, and Ash complimenting them on the part they did succeed at. My only complaint about this episode is that it confirmed the TR motto will be stock footage, but I can forgive that since there's no stock footage to be found anywhere in the action scenes/battles. The animation is still looking miles better than anything the past seasons had to offer, and I'm still blown away by the whole experience.

    I'm ready for Serena to join the team so we can learn something about her. I can't say I care about her yet.

  3. #33

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    So I'm wondering, do you guys think Clemont will ever use Dedenne in battle, even though he caught it for his Sister?

    Cause, it does fit more in line with potential future positions than Bunnelby does.

  4. #34
    Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,860
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Not quite as good as the first three episodes, but still fun, regardless. The group continues to be fun to watch and Serena... well, still hasn't joined the group yet, and her journey has still had less focus than Ash's group. But it looks like that will change next week.

    Perhaps Clemont's machines that he builds to solve a problem before something goes wrong will be a running gag after all. I could live with that.

  5. #35
    Registered User MizuTaipu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,304
    Blog Entries
    63

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So I'm wondering, do you guys think Clemont will ever use Dedenne in battle, even though he caught it for his Sister?
    Eureka might battle with it since she's seen commanding it in the opening.

  6. #36
    Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    860
    Blog Entries
    54

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Anyone else noticed that the opening in this episode featured some black-looking Vivilion at the beginning?

    Anyway, cuteness meter was off the scale of this episode when it comes to Bonnie and Dedenne. It may not have been on the same level as the previous 3, but it was still entertaining.
    Revolutionaryverse


    Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

    ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

  7. #37

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    This was a really cute episode, it kept energy and was engaging practically all the way through. (although I was ready to turn it off after the story with ash and them finished, I'm glad Serena is joining them soon, because it's hard to maintain interest after things are already tied up).

    There were some oddities in the animation and stuff, but overall still quite nice. And I like the little nuances they've added in as far as how the Pokemon move and behave. There's definitely something more naturalistic about the pokemon now than there has been in past series.

  8. #38
    Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    cuyahoga falls ohio
    Posts
    1,228
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post

    Perhaps Clemont's machines that he builds to solve a problem before something goes wrong will be a running gag after all. I could live with that.
    I hope so too. and it also seems that bonnie tripping or falling down is another possible running gag too.

  9. #39
    Ma-ho-ho-ho! TeddiUrsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I kind of miss Kojirou's Pokemon cards ;_; Though it's understandable why they swapped those out for the pseudo-Zukan thingee instead.
    So I am not the only one who thought that Kojiro would take out his Pokémon cards when he actually just used the TR-device when he looked up Maika in Ep. 2?

  10. #40
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,837
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    This episode was ok. I like that Bonnie is going to be pretty much taking care of Dedenne, and all of their Pokemon. She sure knows a lot about taking care of them. It was cute watching her clean and fawn over Dedenne. It was very funny when Clemont forgot about something for the machine and it blew up afterward. Nice to see Ash being able to dodge Team Rocket's nets.

    I'm glad Inkay did all of the battling in this episode. The animation for Psybeam was great.


  11. #41

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I was pretty surprised by that myself. I thought the overuse of footage post-League in BW was due to the animation getting cheaper and not a stylistic choice. I guess it's kinda nice to know that the animator's priorities are not in motto animations but still, blatant recycling this early on is a bit blah.
    It doesn't take any money at all to use already made motto backgrounds a few more times for a collection of episodes and again, where do fans get the idea that animation would get cheaper for no reason? I've said it once and I'll say it again, the writing absolutely does not impact the animation cost or its choices. It's almost as absurd as the idea that XY's animation team would "lose half their budget" because the first two XY episodes supposedly got "bad" ratings, which is silly since those ratings are perfectly good by today's standards and don't matter for a franchise like Pokemon anyway.
    I'm not sure what your answer has to do with what I said. All I said was they spent less money on animating mottos in Episode N and DA because they had spent the majority of their budget on the first 100~130 episodes. With XY, costs don't seem to be an issue this early in the day, so the reuse of XY001's footage is a little disappointing when I'm used to earlier episodes featuring unique motto animations.

  12. #42
    Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,565
    Blog Entries
    186

    Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I'm not sure what your answer has to do with what I said. All I said was they spent less money on animating mottos in Episode N and DA because they had spent the majority of their budget on the first 100~130 episodes. With XY, costs don't seem to be an issue this early in the day, so the reuse of XY001's footage is a little disappointing when I'm used to earlier episodes featuring unique motto animations.
    How do you know they spent less money animating mottos in Episode N and Da because they supposedly spent the majority of their budget, which is constant, in the first 100 or so episodes of BW? You don't seem to understand, the motto backgrounds are stock animation and if there are several of them already made it cost 0.00 to use them again. Stock footage is literally the most minimalistic thing ever that I've seen Pokemon fans complain over, not directed at you in particular. But if you're going to complain, complain about the other 700 things that suck about the show. Every, nearly every, anime in Japan that's as long-running and popular uses stock footage. It's not exclusive to Pokemon. XY's next episode is even reusing Quick Attack/Ash commanding animation from the first episode.

  13. #43

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I'm not sure what your answer has to do with what I said. All I said was they spent less money on animating mottos in Episode N and DA because they had spent the majority of their budget on the first 100~130 episodes. With XY, costs don't seem to be an issue this early in the day, so the reuse of XY001's footage is a little disappointing when I'm used to earlier episodes featuring unique motto animations.
    How do you know they spent less money animating mottos in Episode N and Da because they supposedly spent the majority of their budget, which is constant, in the first 100 or so episodes of BW? You don't seem to understand, the motto backgrounds are stock animation and if there are several of them already made it cost 0.00 to use them again. Stock footage is literally the most minimalistic thing ever that I've seen Pokemon fans complain over, not directed at you in particular. But if you're going to complain, complain about the other 700 things that suck about the show. Every, nearly every, anime in Japan that's as long-running and popular uses stock footage. It's not exclusive to Pokemon. XY's next episode is even reusing Quick Attack/Ash commanding animation from the first episode.

    I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Every time they do the motto in Episode N, they play the exact same footage that appeared in BW109. Every time they did it in DA, they played the same footage from BW123. In BW season 1 and 2, motto animations were never identical, they would mix things up and add in new animation each time. Can you not see the difference? I'm not complaining about stock footage being used, I'm complaining about how Episode N, DA and XY001/XY004 reuse the entire motto with absolutely no changes to the animation at all.

  14. #44

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I'm not sure what your answer has to do with what I said. All I said was they spent less money on animating mottos in Episode N and DA because they had spent the majority of their budget on the first 100~130 episodes. With XY, costs don't seem to be an issue this early in the day, so the reuse of XY001's footage is a little disappointing when I'm used to earlier episodes featuring unique motto animations.
    How do you know they spent less money animating mottos in Episode N and Da because they supposedly spent the majority of their budget, which is constant, in the first 100 or so episodes of BW? You don't seem to understand, the motto backgrounds are stock animation and if there are several of them already made it cost 0.00 to use them again. Stock footage is literally the most minimalistic thing ever that I've seen Pokemon fans complain over, not directed at you in particular. But if you're going to complain, complain about the other 700 things that suck about the show. Every, nearly every, anime in Japan that's as long-running and popular uses stock footage. It's not exclusive to Pokemon. XY's next episode is even reusing Quick Attack/Ash commanding animation from the first episode.
    I disagree with you in saying that stock footage is minimalistic. Well, at least when it comes to Team Rocket's motto. Using exactly the same footage over and over and over each time they recite the motto will eventually make it annoying. This doesn't affect that much for Pokémon moves because the scenes are much shorter, plus the BGM and voice acting will still be different (and now the background is changing as well).

    On the other hand, variations aside, the animation was the most refreshing thing Team Rocket's motto used to have. I remember Takeshi Shudo praising the animators for their job at coming up with new poses for the motto each time it's recited, and it's a shame that this is coming to an end, since it was one of the things that made the motto so distinctive. It's like if they re-use the same recording of Hayashibara, Miki, Inuyama and Ueda reciting their lines every single time. That wouldn't be cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Anyone else noticed that the opening in this episode featured some black-looking Vivilion at the beginning?
    I'm pretty sure these are the same Elegant-pattern Vivillon that have appeared since the first episode. Unless the pattern is different depending on the zone you're watching the episode in...
    Last edited by Gabo 2oo; 1st November 2013 at 05:25 PM.

  15. #45
    Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    860
    Blog Entries
    54

    Default Re: REVIEW: XY004: "Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabo 2oo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    Anyone else noticed that the opening in this episode featured some black-looking Vivilion at the beginning?
    I'm pretty sure these are the same Elegant-pattern Vivillon that have appeared since the first episode. Unless the pattern is different depending on the zone you're watching the episode in...
    I just checked the first episode's opening, and it turned out it was just me not noticing them until now. Silly me...
    Revolutionaryverse


    Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

    ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •