REVIEW: XY003 - "Keromatsu VS Yayakoma! Aerial Battle Maneuvers!" - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: XY003 - "Keromatsu VS Yayakoma! Aerial Battle Maneuvers!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: REVIEW: XY003 - "Keromatsu VS Yayakoma! Aerial Battle Maneuvers!"

That Maaiika is kinda cute. I loled when Kojirou managed to catch it and those sandwiches, especially considering characters have caught food in Pokéballs before. And Satoshi didn't scan Pukurin and Spear for once! Thank you writers!!

I think my favorite scene would probably be when Citron revealed his gramophone invention, with the overly-dramatic music and it eventually exploding it his face. XD

While we don't know the quality of XY when it ends compared to previous series, I'm glad these first few episodes are strong.

I get the feeling that Clemont's devices failing or backfiring is gonna be a running gag in X and Y. (Though he was able to successfully unlock the door for Ash in the second ep.)

I'm really liking the group dynamic so far. They feel like people, reacting to an actual world, and not a world that solely revolves around game mechanics.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

It was an nice episode, started off smoothly with the interactions between Eureka, Satoshi and Citron. I liked how they were talking about how they were friends now and all in this together and all and the scenery of the city was, once again, nice to look at. The continued interactions with their relief after the scene with the rabid Spear, Citron's weird invention to lure Yayakamo to them, Eureka's fawning over Dedenne and how Dedenne crying and running away drove her to tears were great. Even the group shout scene was really perfect and I'm happy that Kerometsu got to be involved in it too. Chemistry was solid Pokemon and human wise.

As for Kerometsu, it was just so cool. I enjoyed its facial expression and how it was all chill during the scenes with Okido-Hakase, though I don't care about his character or Rotom, the scenes with Kerometsu meeting him were worth it. The way it was battling for Eureka's sake and saw her crying and wanted to help and immediately jumped into action and wasn't having any Pikachu intervention made it look awesome XD It's such a stubborn and tough Pokemon. Loved how it slammed the ground when it was tired from the battle, smiling with glee from defeating its opponent and was willing to share an Oran with the newly caught Yayakamo. I said it once and I'll say it again, I like Kerometsu's characterization, it's refreshing to have another Pokemon not defined by one personality trait who isn't one-note in its actions either. Nothing special to say about Yayakamo, it was a typical standard bird capture. Double Team, Peck and Air Cutter moveset wise isn't garbage, we haven't seen much of Double Team these days but I'm pretty unimpressed by it. Doesn't seem to have much of a defining personality either outside typical species behaviors. I'm still quite bitter Serena didn't get Yayakamo, she has a pet Yayakamo in her house it was entertaining, plus Satoshi getting the bird is just expected and basic. When I see Serena getting the bird, I'm more interested because it would have been something different and new from the usual formula, but whatever. Surprised they didn't make use of its Fire-type characteristics, right from the start it would have shown Yayakamo in a different light from other birds.

Battle was not bad, a bit too quick but it was okay/good. Neither Kerometsu or Yayakamo have super interesting moves, so the use of more tactics, the terrain and their natural talents to spice things up a little helped that. Kerometsu's evasion of Air Cutter was beautifully animated, the use of little things like Kerometsu's frubbles to make a false Kerometsu to catch Yayakamo with Bubble(Substitution ninja trick reference?), its jumping to even out the battle and the use of the field to maneuver well made the battle fun overall. As for the B-Plot of the episode. All of Serena's scenes were pretty meh to me except the one where she decided to pick the opposite hat her mother suggested. XD A large step back in entertainment from her actions in the last two episodes with how she was thrown around by Sihorn, tried to make mince meat outta a robin, covered in bandages and annoyed with her mom which were amusing for her. I don't care for them dragging out this Serena joining the group thing for too long, I mainly want to find out what her goal is already, I hope it isn't just to find Satoshi and possible win his heart like many speculated. I really did like seeing Kerometsu, Harimaron and Fokko all together at the end though.

As for the C-Plot, I cared little for TR's scenes. Maika munching on a croissant(OMG! POKE-FRANCE!!1??11) was cute and Maika is a cute Pokemon in-general and I'm glad Kojiro got it over Musashi at least. But the dialogue between them and Sakaki pretty much just being generic goonsquad bantering about getting strong Pokemon was disappointing to say the least. So they essentially have no real goal in Kalos, competent TR, pretty much six-feet under at this point. Even Episode N level Rockets would have been acceptable, I just can't believe TR won't have any real purpose in this show again. It was refreshing they didn't cross paths with Satoshi-tachi this episode though. wish the whole Spear scene was axed, though I did like the interactions that it caused, I'm just so tired of that gag being played by this point.

Blog Entries

Follow Life on Tumblr

I swear, the episodes just keep getting better and better.

I cannot get enough of Keromatsu. His (I'm going to assume it's a he) personality reminds me so much of Ash's, so I see them fitting really well. I like how Ash is treating him so far; letting him rid on his shoulder, walking outside of its Pokeball, and being apart of the groups little celebratory hands-in thing. Which, by the way, so adorable. The group is also amazing; I like Citron and Eureka's dynamics. In my opinion, they are much better than May and Max's thus far.

I think it's interesting how Eureka asked Citron if he would capture Dedenne for her so she could have it later one. It's something that has never really been touched in the anime, so I can't wait to see what is going to happen with it. I'm also a bit curious with the Miare City Gym topic. I'm excited to know the back story there, so the more news on that the better.

Oh, and I agree with the above posts. Pukurin did look really big here, and different for that matter.

All in all, I just love this series so far. The animation is beautiful and the characters are dynamic. I may be getting ahead of myself, but this serious feels like it is going to end up being my favorite!

Blog Entries

I loved this episode! This series is really getting off to a great start!

The group putting their hands together as they agreed to travel together was adorable; especially when they kneeled down for Bonnie and the Pokémon. Speaking of Bonnie, she was so cute when she was tugging at Clemont's sleeve asking to keep Dedenne. And man, Dedenne is so puny.

I'm really liking Froakie. It was so sweet the way he battled Fletchling after it made Bonnie sad.

I love Clemont! He is hilarious! The way he kept looking down at his machine while winding it wondering why it wasn't working. Then he kept doing so when the Beedrill were going after them.

The Froakie vs. Fletchling battle was cool. Froakie seems super smart, making a Frubble Froakie as a decoy to get attacked so he could sneak up on Fletchling.

And finally it looks like Serena is about to pick her starter and hopefully meet up with the gang.

Great episode. Loving the series so far. 9/10.

something else i noticed: when clemont's machine failed, he was confused/upset ("why???") until ash said to him, "you're great clemont, you can call that many beedrill!", which instantly cheers clemont up ("really?" with a big smile). even the machine blowing up, ash seems to think is a good thing, giving the explosion credit for chasing the beedrill away. somehow it does seem ash might become the most mature one of the group for a change? maybe?

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice episode. It basically consisted of three separate plotlines in one episode (Ash and co.'s, Serena's, and TR's), but they were all central to the series, so that's fine.

Ash continues to use strategies in battles to overcome and catch Fletchling - keep it up, Ash.

Clemont and Bonnie continue to be fun characters. I actually wouldn't mind if Clemont's failed inventions that backfire turn out to be a running gag on this show - as long as they're varied and don't happen EVERY episode. Of course, having a balance where sometimes they work and sometimes don't to keep viewers guessing would be even better. It was also nice to see the trio make an official pact to travel together. Now, if only Serena turns out be a great character as well, then this could be my favorite group ever.

Overall, another great early impression for XY. Keep it up, writers!

I really liked the scenes where Ash and Froakie bonded. I believe Ash told Froakie something like "I'm your trainer now, so we have to use our combined strenght"? That was pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post
    something else i noticed: when clemont's machine failed, he was confused/upset ("why???") until ash said to him, "you're great clemont, you can call that many beedrill!", which instantly cheers clemont up ("really?" with a big smile). even the machine blowing up, ash seems to think is a good thing, giving the explosion credit for chasing the beedrill away. somehow it does seem ash might become the most mature one of the group for a change? maybe?
    I just think Ash has a very positive mindset. Sure, the machine didn't work as Clemont had intended, but it worked for something and that's pretty impressive.
    A lot of people could learn from that attitude; Sure, you failed at what you wanted to do, but the outcome wasn't necessarily useless, it can still work for something. So just work on it so you can get a better idea at how to handle your talent and you'll come really far.

Also, the scene was so adorable, Clemont was so cute when he cheered up from Ash's compliments ^3^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    And Satoshi didn't scan Pukurin and Spear for once! Thank you writers!!
    Hopefully with Serena having a Pokedex she can do all of those old Pokemon scans to keep that up for the whole series. Ash scanning a Buizel in BW was a very low point for the series so I'm certainly glad with this shift.

I'm the Blaze Master now! InfernoFlames's Avatar
    On a boat to Castelia City harbor for the bacon
    Blog Entries

The high point of this episode for me was when Froakie used his Frubbles to imitate Substitute. Foreshadowing to a potential future move there writers? ;)

Low point would be the Dex's voice, too big a change for me from BW's dex.

3DS FC: 2492-4691-1324
    I
    URPG Trainer Stats

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

So far so good!

1. Ash actually using a strategy with Froakie to catch the birdie was brilliant. Good thing they took advantage of the rocky area for Kero-kun's jumps.

2. I went 'awwwwwww' when Kero-kun felt bad about his actions when Ash got hurt because of him. Froakie cares so much about his trainer.

It seems Froakie wants to prove himself by acting on his own - like, "leave it all to me, trainer! I'll deal with it." So Froakie not listening to Ash is different from all the other pokemons that didn't listen to their trainers. Charizard, Mamoswine, and Dragonite were all overpowered that they lost respect for their trainer, but Froakie is more eager to prove himself that he "conveniently" forgot to listen to his trainer. That fake bubble clone of himself - I'm guessing it was Froakie's idea since he's a ninja. He's already a good battler, with great potential.

3. Inb4 Ash x Serena shipping

4. LOL at James and his friendly capture XD He really shows that you don't have to battle a pokemon to catch it - just befriend it.

Speaking of James... the way he gets along with pokemon, he's actually more or less like N o.o

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Hopefully with Serena having a Pokedex she can do all of those old Pokemon scans to keep that up for the whole series. Ash scanning a Buizel in BW was a very low point for the series so I'm certainly glad with this shift.
    This is something I'll never understand, what's wrong with him scanning old Pokemon? It's done for the sake of the audience and I doubt Satoshi has every bit of information in the Pokemon Zukan on hand and memorized as well and probably needs a refresher. It just seems very petty to get upset over him scanning old Pokemon, if he's the only one with a Zukan of course he's going to scan all the Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    This is something I'll never understand, what's wrong with him scanning old Pokemon? It's done for the sake of the audience and I doubt Satoshi has every bit of information in the Pokemon Zukan on hand and memorized as well and probably needs a refresher. It just seems very petty to get upset over him scanning old Pokemon, if he's the only one with a Zukan of course he's going to scan all the Pokemon.
    Because it's a small way in which Ash's past travels and encounters can be referenced. He's experienced and has seen the vast majority of Pokemon from previous regions, and I think identifying wild Pokemon is an easy way of showing that.

I'd also think knowing what most of the Pokemon are would be a good step in trying to be a master of the things.

He could scan them for the viewer's benefit, but at least have him recognise and comment on them first.

Blog Entries

The episode was pretty good. Some of my thoughts about it:

- Dedenne is really cute, but its damn teeth still annoys me a bit.
    - I LOVE how Froakie is mostly moved by its emotions. It deciding to fight Fletchling because the bird was an ass to Dedenne and Bonnie was truly awesome.
    - By the way, Fletchling is clearly a douche version of Taillow. A shame it doesn't seem to keep its personality after being caught.
    - I am still amazed by how likable Bonnie and Clemont are. I love them!
    - Speaking of Clemont, his running gags are so funny and refreshing. The bird thingy he created backfiring was awesome.
    - Seems like DP!Ash is back, at least in terms of elaborating strategies in battles. All of the battles Ash had so far in XY were great.
    - I am sad about James catching Inkay, since the squid is one of my favorite Gen VI Pokémon and now it will serve for nothing but as a punching bag during XY.
    - Again, Froakie is SO cute. Seriously, it is. And Fennekin is kind of creepy, at least in that last scene. Then again, its evolutions are unnerving (and awesome). :P

Lastly, I don't know why they are making such a mystery about Serena's starter, since the opening shows her with a Fennekin. :P

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast