REVIEW: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread

...in the English version, perhaps. Never got that vibe from the Japanese version, though.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Giant Slice of Pecan Pie JB2448's Avatar
    Follow JB2448 On Twitter Add JB2448 on Google+
    Follow JB2448 on Tumblr Visit JB2448's Youtube Channel

I'd say it's deliberate, considering we've already had a character that spoke a lot of French in the English dub, and that acting wasn't really grating at all.
    Do a barrel roll!

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

I'm admittedly not wild about how the mispronounced French makes her come across as more of a fool in the dub - that said, the only bit which struck me as particularly bothersome was her saying "C'est impossible" when Stoutland got knocked out. If we're to buy the pidgin French as part of her posturing then I'm not sure why she'd bother at a time like that. *shrugs* Burgundy is still the greatest.^^

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by JB2448
    I'd say it's deliberate, considering we've already had a character that spoke a lot of French in the English dub, and that acting wasn't really grating at all.
    Fantina was awful.

But, to Burgundy's credit, she at least seems to know more French than Fantina did. She can't pronounce it worth a shit, but she at least isn't going around shoehorning a "magnifique" into every other sentence.

Great episode. Georgia's amazing as always. I loved it when she came up to Iris and said "still got that enormous head." It's funny because it's true.

Did anyone else make the connection between Jimmy Ray (the guy in the Watchog Costume) and that knicker guy in Hoenn. He first dressed as a Mudkip and then as a Zangoose. That's just the first thing that came to my mind.
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

I thoroughly enjoyed Burgundy's terrible French pronunciation. I chuckled every time she had a line. Though I do wonder, would her character be annoying to people who don't understand French at all?

I'm starting to get annoyed by Ash's constant rotation of Pokemon. To be honest, I didn't even remember that he had a Palpitoad. I think the anime would be much more interesting if he only had 5 Pokemon in addition to Pikachu, because they could get a lot more development and we'd get to know them better. If I were to decide, I'd have him keep Pikachu, Oshawott, Swadloon, and Scraggy. Along his journey he could catch a Rufflet to be his obligatory flying type, and one other Pokemon. I don't find the others that he has to be interesting in the least. There is no reason why Ash should have all three starters in his team. If they really wanted to feature them that badly, they could give a Snivy to Cilan and a Tepig to Iris, though even that isn't necessary since Trip and Bianca already have them.

I did enjoy this episode and am looking forward to the arc. Does anybody know how many episodes are in it?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

This is a four episode tournament.

Luckily for you fans of the English version, there's not this annoying two week gap between this episode and the next like there was when this arc aired in Japan.

Giant Slice of Pecan Pie JB2448's Avatar
    Follow JB2448 On Twitter Add JB2448 on Google+
    Follow JB2448 on Tumblr Visit JB2448's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Fantina was awful.

But, to Burgundy's credit, she at least seems to know more French than Fantina did. She can't pronounce it worth a shit, but she at least isn't going around shoehorning a "magnifique" into every other sentence.
    Oh, I know Fantina's voice was awful. I just didn't want to sever my ears off every time she said something French, as opposed to Burgundy. That said, Burgundy is still the better character (by far).
    Do a barrel roll!

I thought Burgundy's French was hilarious, I don't understand why people thought it was annoying. Yes, her pronunciation is awful, but that's the point! It's just another way of showing that she's not the master connoisseur she claims to be.

Maybe I missed something, but why was it a shock to Burgundy that Ash just caught a Palpitoad? I don't get it.

Y Rotation Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TPrower View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but why was it a shock to Burgundy that Ash just caught a Palpitoad? I don't get it.
    She thought he had taken her advice on replacing his Pokémon, from way back in BW19.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki View Post
    She thought he had taken her advice on replacing his Pokémon, from way back in BW19.
    Ah, I see. Well, Burgundy's not a bad person, but it annoys me how pushy she is.

Y Rotation Team

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

This episode has convinced me that the dub writers cannot write dialogue at all. Most of what Don George said was a load of crap too...how is it fascinating that Ash is sending out a Water/Ground-type against a Normal-type? Nothing interesting about it.

Also, why do they feel the need to make most of what Burgundy says French? At least in the original Japanese, the few phrases she used were either common knowledge or related to wine. In the dub, it's just French for the sake of French - and when most of her lines in battle aren't English, it makes what she's saying hard to follow (my knowledge of French is pretty limited). For the average child viewer, I can imagine them finding Burgundy really confusing.

This was also the first time I heard Zebstrika pronounced correctly (I used to say Zeb-strick-a). I find the correct pronunciation incredibly jarring to say; heck, when Ash said it, it sounded really unnatural.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    This episode has convinced me that the dub writers cannot write dialogue at all. Most of what Don George said was a load of crap too...how is it fascinating that Ash is sending out a Water/Ground-type against a Normal-type? Nothing interesting about it.
    Hell, the writers in general can't seem to write interesting dialogue to save their lives. I've seen the subbed version and man, is it uninspiring!

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Hell, the writers in general can't seem to write interesting dialogue to save their lives. I've seen the subbed version and man, is it uninspiring!
    At least with the original Japanese though, what the characters are saying is what normal people would actually say. I think @Dogasu put it perfectly in his comparison for this episode in regards to James:
    Three, make sure their exchange doesn't sound anything like a conversation that people in real life would have, ever.
    Just expand that to all the characters.

While having lunch, I asked my 7 year old brother about the episode and in particular, Burgundy. He actually said "But why does she speak French when it's an English show?" and that how Burgundy's French made it hard to follow (well, he didn't say 'hard to follow' but words to that effect). If I get a chance, I might rewatch the episode on the iPlayer and count how many lines of English she speaks compared to French.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast