REVIEW: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread

Default Re: "Reunion Battles In Nimbasa!" Review Thread

There haven't been many good episodes in B/W so far, that's why I'm glad we finally got an episode that I found really good and exciting. To be honest, I almost thought the writers had forgotten the main purpose of the Anime but fortunately, the battle-centered episodes are back and this week's had battles galore!
    What I liked best was the fact that with all the rival reapearing and the focus being on battles, it almost felt like watching our good old Sinnoh episodes. A certain feeling of nostalgia definitely overcame me.

The Beartic vs. Joltik battle kind of reminds me of David vs. Goliath and I've got to admit that I was rooting for the yellow spider in secret all the time.

Dino and Jimmy Ray didn't really fit in. The first simply looks too wild and rude and better be a karate teacher instead. On the one hand, he pretends to be a pseudo-Drake or a pseudo-Lance but on the other, he's obviously not good enough to be on the same level as those trainers because otherwise he wouldn't have to take part in a rather small regional tournament. Jimmy Ray...what else do I have to say? (pun intended!) He looks like a damn creepy stalker! Why does he have to disguise himself as a Patrat/Watchog? What's he hiding? If I were Iris, I would probably have reacted the same way.

I've got to admit that I can't stand Palpitoad's desing because for some strange reason it reminds me of an ugly old man with warts but Ash and Palpitoad battled hard and therefore deserved to win. Now I'd like to go more into detail and mention one special aspect of the battle between Ash and Burgundy:
    I've been wondering if Burgundy had Stoutland use Thunder Fang on Palpitoad deliberately so that the former could get close and grab its opponent with its teeth. Burgundy could have wanted to trick Ash into believing that she had made a mistake because she doesn't know Palpitoad's type combination. So, Burgundy maybe expected that Ash would do nothing to prevent Stoutland from using that attack. Once Stoutland had trapped Palpitoad with a seemingly ineffective attack, it could use the more effective Ice Fang.
    These are just hypothetical thoughts but if this really was what the writers had in mind, then congratulations on a really impressive strategy!

And last but not least, I mustn't forget my favorite line, namely Luke's comment on Bianca's behavior:
    "She must take great vitamins!"
    I suppose this must be the writers' way of saying "Yeah, that girl is on drugs!" I wonder what he said in the Japanese ep. Can somebody please enlighten me?

All in all, one of the best B/W episodes so far. I'm looking forward to next week's.
    Enzap likes this.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

It was a great episode, but, uh, what was with Burgundy saying random things in French all of a sudden? Did she always do that?

Moe
    Blog Entries

I really liked this episode - for one I thought it was very well paced, something that's been a major issue in many of the other episodes of the series. Other than that, it was one of the funniest episodes so far, especially Georgia. The only problem with getting all these rivals together is that it reminds everyone that every single other rival besides Trip is pretty well developed and has an interesting personality.

I did find it odd they bothered to establish the characters of all the participants, usually they'd be ignored like the people filling out the numbers in the contest episodes. Would also have meant giving a little bit more time to some of the battles.

Happy to finally see Palpitoad, but 6 episodes between capture and first appearance is really bad, and is the biggest problem, among many, of Ash catching more than 5 Pokemon. It'd be nice if things got a bit more balanced from here, but I fear Palpitoad will just pop up to clean up important battles and be nowhere to be seen for the rest of the series. Though I suppose it's better than how Krabby was treated, get captured and then have the tournament battle appearance in the league rather than a few episodes later.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Why does he have to disguise himself as a Patrat/Watchog? What's he hiding? If I were Iris, I would probably have reacted the same way.
    I don't think he was disguising. I think he's just a furry.
    martianmister and Eitarou like this.

And if this world runs out of lovers
    We'll still have each other
    Nothing's gonna stop us, nothing's gonna stop us now

Click here to join the fabulous Striaton Triplets Club!
    Looking for a legit shiny Cryogonal or Sigilyph!

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

He looks like a damn creepy stalker! Why does he have to disguise himself as a Patrat/Watchog? What's he hiding?
    What's he hiding? He was hiding something he wanted to show Iris privately. :p

And it's a Watchog. You can tell by the suit's eyes. Jimmy Ray is a manly man, he doesn't train sissy Patrat. He's a Watchog kind of man.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    It was a great episode, but, uh, what was with Burgundy saying random things in French all of a sudden? Did she always do that?
    . Burgundy and Cabernet are both French wine names, so I guess that's in her character.
    martianmister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    What's he hiding? He was hiding something he wanted to show Iris privately. :p

And it's a Watchog. You can tell by the suit's eyes. Jimmy Ray is a manly man, he doesn't train sissy Patrat. He's a Watchog kind of man.
    Naughty boy :D Are you referring to Watchog's tail which is...oh well, I'd better leave it at that :P
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I actually liked Burgendy's random French. I think it fit her very well. Also her purple hair reminds me of Fantina.

I believe that she did in fact order the Thunder Fang as a diversion so she could actually use Ice Fang. She seemed confident enough even after it failed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Renaming "Don Battles" to "Club Battles" is unfortunate. The "Don Battles" title, along with all the statues he has of himself littering the stadium, show us that this Don George has a bit of a narcissistic side. Too bad that's kind of dampened in the dub.
    Did they still showed the statues? I kinda forgot because I wasn't paying attention for the first little bit. If they did then I think everyone who only watches the dub will get 2 and 2 together.

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    Burgundy continues to entertain with her pure hatred for Cilan. Though I do love him, I would love it if Burgundy eventually defeated Cilan in battle. Her reaction would be priceless, and it would be an unusual way to end the rivalry.
    Practically her whole life revolves around beating him, so I don't think she would know quite what to do with herself if she did beat him. It'd be like

"8D I beat him!!!

:D

:)

:|

...now what?"
    (But yes, I do want Burgundy to defeat him at least once; they might become friendly rivals after that? I'd love that. ♥)
    And last but not least, I mustn't forget my favorite line, namely Luke's comment on Bianca's behavior:
    "She must take great vitamins!"
    I suppose this must be the writers' way of saying "Yeah, that girl is on drugs!"
    It's funny he said that, because right before he did, I was just thinking that she must have forgotten to take her adderall that morning. xD

追放されたバカ

This dub episode makes me want Dino, Jimmy Ray, Sylvester, Antonio, Scooter, Omega, and Emanuel to return, with a particular emphasis on the first 3.
    The Flaming E likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Lol best lines of the whole eppy.

Burgundy:Allore! So, your still using the same peppery Pokemon?

Burgundy:The time has come for some sweet revenge.
    Burgundy food talk is so much less annoying then Cilan, and I commend her Voice Actor for a awesome job. Especially, at the "right away!" part. Nice show horning of "sweet revenge" in there as well as Burgundy not saying, "It's revenge Time!". Lol, Burgundy you and your French are funny.

Georgia:I thought I smelled a Dragon Type.
    *Georgia pinching her nose*
    Georgia:As long as I'm not battling against a Dragon Type I couldn't care less!
    Georgia:You think your funny....but...remember...I'm a first class Dragon Buster...WHO WILL NEVER LOSE TO THE LIKES OF YOU!
    Love how Georgia reaction to Iris's kid comment is basically, "Yeah bitch, and so are you."

Burgundy:Battling Ash would be like drinking a flat glass of seltzer water, I wanna bring Cilan to his knees.
    Burgundy continues to be awesome with her pure unadulterated hate of Cilan, plus Cilan's face when Burgundy points her finger. I'd love to see her win one day ^^

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Good episode. I liked seeing all the rival together again and you'll see more interactions between them in the upcoming episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing Cilan vs Trip in the dub.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Burgundy continues to be awesome with her pure unadulterated hate of Cilan, plus Cilan's face when Burgundy points her finger. I'd love to see her win one day ^^
    I too would like to see that. And Cilan would give out the best response and reaction towards it..... Which would be to congratulate and be happy for her.

Well Cilan was constantly encouraging Burgundy and even giving her tips to become a better Pokémon Connaisseuse.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

This episode was my first exposure to Burgundy in the dub.

And good God, her voice is terrible. Also, would it kill her voice actor to learn how to pronounce French words at least semi-correctly? She sounded like she was *trying* to mispronounce every other word she said on purpose.

This is going to be a long tournament.
    Eitarou likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Although I DO consider the butchering of French to be a bit grating, I'm pretty sure having Burgundy pronounce her phrases incorrectly is kind of... the point of her character.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast