REVIEW: "Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky?" Review Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky?" Review Thread

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Default Re: "Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky?" Review Thread

One of my favourite episodes in BW so far, very pleasantly surprised. I was originally annoyed when I discovered Oshawott would have yet another focus episode, but I suppose he hasn't appeared for some time, (Swadloon has been absent even longer, but who really cares about him?) and watching him clash with Meowth over Purrloin was hilarious, as was the twist ending.

I'm very intrigued to discover what happened to make Cilan so terrified of Purrloin. Maybe it's why he was so desperate to leave Striaton City, with so many Purrloins living nearby? (Could that also explain why he seems like a nervous wreck in the game?)

How did Ash manage to free his arms to release Snivy when his arms were stuck in quicksand a moment ago? Ah, never mind. I need to stop looking into stuff too much.
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 3rd December 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Who is this git?

talk aabout piece of shit,this episode was very very boring,more over the animation was very cheep at some points,and meowth WAS HORRIBLY drawn.

and WTF a pokemon wants to go on date with other pokemon,AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHETHER ITS A MALE OR A FEMALE !?? actually this is like an insulting from the writers,they think that those who are watching the anime are dumb asses.

********PIKACHU I LOVE U************

Blog Entries

Meh, average dub is average. Misha's dub voice sounded like a really bad version of Sakura from Nelvana's dub of Cardcaptor Sakura. Choroneko's dub voice on the other hand sounded better than the Japanese version, IMO. Much more realistic and animal-sounding. Once again the dubbers replaced the music-box song that played when Meowth was crying in the beginning. It's actually one of my favorite non-video game Best Wishes pieces so not hearing it in the dub is a real shame.

Awesome episode! I can only hope this is a sign that BW is slowly but surely getting better. It was the second episode with Meowth and again, I can't think of anything to criticize.

The plot had interesting twists, very funny and entertaining moments, especially Meowth and Oshawott's battle over who gets to date Purrloin, and action-packed scenes (Ash and Meowth sinking in the quicksand and being close to suffocation. When was the last time we got to see things like this?)
    Also, Cilan's distrust, Team Rocket's continuation of their mission and above all, Misha and Purrloin's background story were either exciting or very profound. For some reason I was fascinated by that idea how much confusion a simple accident can cause and that it ultimately threatened to destroy the trusting relationship between trainer and Pokemon.

But, of course, by far the best and one of THE most hilarious twist endings I've ever seen in Pokemon was when Purrloin's true gender was revealed. Oh God, the expressions on the Pokemon's faces were simply priceless! It's been a while since a Pokemon episode last could surpise me and crack me up so much. Great job!
    And don't you think this scene bears a striking resemblance to when Anabel revealed to Ash that she was a girl?

Speaking of Ash, I was expecting him to be all clueless about what was going on with Meowth and Oshawott once again. Can it really be that he's starting to learn what love is? Impossible!
    I guess this video sums up today's episode perfectly

Anyways, a really awesome episode with a fantastic ending!
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

A fun episode.

I'm just surprised they actually kept the joke.

They could have easily changed it to "but purrloin already has a boyfriend" or something like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Konoko Hasano View Post
    I loved the episode. The quicksand part seemed rather out there, but I could easily ignore it.

The best part came at the end when Purrloin revealed that it was really male. I always figured that Pokemon could likely tell the differences between gender due to scents and such, but this shows it not the case.
    They were technicly were in a old mine that was used for i think mining coal. The quicksand did look alot like low-grade coal.

Outside of that, it was a good episode

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    A fun episode.

They could have easily changed it to "but purrloin already has a boyfriend" or something like that.
    Yeah, that. Trap humor is pretty edgy, and normally something kept out of US editions. Purrloin was a GUY. Meowth and Osawott are in some serious and... weird trouble. :(

Also, notice how Black/White does a lot more focusing on the gender of Pokémon than any other series? They're always wondering at and then discovering the gender of a Pokémon every episode, something that they didn't really get into in earlier iterations. They only did it in the Diamond/Pearl series towards the end.

Also, I enjoyed how Meowth was punnier in this episode. I need that in Meowth.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    A fun episode.

That's what I thought she was going to say before she said Purrloin was a boy... I'm glad they didn't! And, yeah... How could Meowth and Oshawott not tell!? That would seem kind of important.

Yeah, a good episode overall. I'm glad they didn't tease me this time by showing the Ferris-wheel.... Sigh. Team Rocket needs to get their butts to Team Plasma!

that's elementary

Blog Entries

I think it puts Iris' comments about Ash not knowing the gender of his Pokemon in the Snivy capture episode in context if even Pokemon can't tell. Sure it made a very funny plot twist, but seems very odd that they didn't notice - but then again Purrloin isn't the most masculine Pokemon out there (besides, all cats are girls and all dogs are boys - I think everyone knows that).

A great episode again this week, and I feel I'd only be nitpicking to find flaws. I'm surprised Excadrill didn't have the same rope pulling problems as Corphish does, likewise surprised there was a lot of focus on Tranquill but Ash's stayed in its ball the entire episode. I just wish the Team Rocket stuff could be slotted in after the credits, they could have at least done it all in one go - it was the only real bit of tedium in the episode. Oshawott being funny makes up for it appearing yet again, though at least it didn't let itself out - was great seeing Ash holding him while doing Water Gun, as well as more of Pikachu's mistrust of Meowth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    It sounds like they altered the line about Purrloin supposedly making her a better Dragon Master (which makes no fucking sense) to "I'm a Dragon Master, so I'll definitely be able to raise you well!", unless I'm missing something here.
    That's what she originally said, too.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I think it puts Iris' comments about Ash not knowing the gender of his Pokemon in the Snivy capture episode in context if even Pokemon can't tell. Sure it made a very funny plot twist, but seems very odd that they didn't notice - but then again Purrloin isn't the most masculine Pokemon out there (besides, all cats are girls and all dogs are boys - I think everyone knows that).
    I guess Purrloin was able to fool them easily. He isn't called the Devious Pokemon for nothing.

Re "how couldn't they tell..." It still might be that they can... In most cases. The purrloin was intentionally misleading both of his "suitors" to get what he wanted, with both of them too smitten to notice any minor discrepancies. (I doubt Ash's Snivy would have been fooled for long. ) And the very fact "it's a trap" humour exists proves that our own gender detection isn't 100% foolproof.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dent View Post
    Re "how couldn't they tell..." It still might be that they can... In most cases. The purrloin was intentionally misleading both of his "suitors" to get what he wanted, with both of them too smitten to notice any minor discrepancies.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that it wasn't just that they happened to be attracted to an effeminate looking Purrloin, that Purrloin made actual efforts to seduce them, despite being a guy. That's bona fide traptasticality.

Which begs the REAL question, is the move Attract independent of actual physical attraction? Because if that Purrloin used Attract on them, it wouldn't have worked because Meowth and Oshawott are men. But that Purrloin, in using... other methods, was able to... "Attract" them.

This episode, plus that one episode in D/P where that machine made Pikachu and Piplup Attracted to each other, are imposing a force to threaten the sexualities of Pokeymans everywhere.

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar

Purrloin's a guy?! BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!! Meowth and Oshawott have just joined the crying game!

I'm serious. I did not see that coming. Although, considering how low Purrloin's voice was, I wasn't so surprised.

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

"They're mad about something, but who cares!"
    It's... so weird, hearing ASH say that 0__o even more weird that he said that about Pokémon and not about humans
    Way to be out of character, Ash...
    For the ep itself - it was nice, kinda funny with the whole "oh it's male" at the end XD and hopefully Cilan's past with Purrloin will be explained eventually... I don't like it when stuff like that goes unexplained... but I'm sure they'll do something with it by the end of BW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast