REVIEW: Pokemon: The Origin

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Pokemon: The Origin

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Pokemon: The Origin

Pokemon: The Origin is an anime special that aired on October 2, 2013. The plot is close to that of Pokémon Red and Green Versions, the very first games of the franchise, featuring Red as the protagonist and Green as Red's rival.

The story is split into four episodes: Red, Karakara, Sakaki and Lizardon.
    Last edited by Araragi-hakase; 25th December 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: Pokemon: The Origin

Mega Lizardon X! hgfdkjgfjkn Amazing!

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Well, that was...unexpected.

The special was great, though.

Really loved the special... but did we really need Mega Charizard X to debut in this? Every single thing was pure Generation I apart from Mr. Fuji handing Red the box with what I guess was Lizardonite. No Pokemon outside the original 151, no mentions of anything from Generation II+... then we got the sudden sharp turn into Generation VI?

Also, I have the feeling Pokemon X will be selling a lot faster than Y. It's getting all the coolest stuff.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It was pretty alright.

The first episode was kind of meh. There's only so many times you can see a Trainer pick out his first pokemon, y'know? Green helped keep this episode from being a complete drag, though I have to say that his theme song being used in animation just didn't work. Felt way too Game Boy-y to me.

The second episode was definitely the best one out of the four. It was true to the games and managed to not water down any of the death stuff, something I can't imagine the current TV series ever doing. The depiction of actual pokemon death, Red volunteering to go into Pokemon Tower, Green trying to go ahead but ending up letting the ghost scare him off, Red getting the Silph Scope and identifying the ghost as Karakara's mother, the tearful reunions...it was all very, very well done.

I liked the battle in the super cramped office building in the third episode, but that's really it. I couldn't really find myself caring about Sakaki's battle in the second half.

The fourth episode was cool before it went into full-on Generation VI hype mode. Actually getting to see the Four Heavenly Emperors' battle was nice, and the Hall of Fame gave Red's journey a sense of closure that I feel like we'll never get with Satoshi. I also thought that the episode more or less revealing that Mr. Fuji and Dr. Fuji are the same person was nice.

Other stuff...I thought the animation in the fourth episode looked the best but I guess that's not too surprising seeing as how OLM has the most experience drawing these characters. The other three looked fine, but the fourth episode did a lot of cool things with the camera and just seemed to take more risks when it came to the way things were staged. It's kind of hard for me to explain.

The pokemon cries were weird and I didn't really care for them at all. Myuutwo's was nice, I guess, and I thought Pikachu's was cute, but the rest were just sort of *there*. The way the current series does things definitely leaves more of an impression.

The background music was super nostalgic, but like I hinted at before there are some tracks that don't quite work in animation. Thinking back I'd say my favorite piece of "new" music in this special was the Rocket-Dan theme. There was more good than bad here and if a CD set ever comes out then I'll definitely pick it up.

I could probably go on and on for several pages so I'll just stop right here. It was a pretty fun way to spend two hours.
    Last edited by Dogasu; 2nd October 2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Artichoker and martianmister like this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

You know, the way the special suddenly introduced Mega Lizardon X it felt like Nintendo muscled in and forced the writers to advertise Pokemon X&Y with this. But it was completely out of place, as for some people it'll overshadow the rest of this extremely well made special and it's not like we're in the middle of a huge amount of advertising for the games anyway.

Also... did Mega Lizardon X use Swift? I don't think it has that attack.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Yeah, IIRC that's what it was ordered to use.

Why was Wataru listed on the website / end credits when he only said like two lines in the entire thing?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    You know, the way the special suddenly introduced Mega Lizardon X it felt like Nintendo muscled in and forced the writers to advertise Pokemon X&Y with this. But it was completely out of place, as for some people it'll overshadow the rest of this extremely well made special and it's not like we're in the middle of a huge amount of advertising for the games anyway.
    The whole entire special was advertisement for an older audience, that's the point. Drawing in older people for when XY is released.

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

So what were Red and Green's Pokemon??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    So what were Red and Green's Pokemon??
    Red had Persian, Dodorio, Jolteon, Charizard, Scyther and Lapras.

Red ended up completing his Pokedex, but the Pokemon we saw were:

Hitokage-->Lizard-->Lizardon
    Caterpie-->Trancell
    Koratta
    Onisuzume
    Onidrill
    Arbok
    Pikachu
    Nidoran
    Persian
    Koduck
    Utsubot
    Menokurage
    Dōdorio
    Gangar
    Sawamular (from the Fighting Dojo)
    Koiking (bought from the salesman)
    Lucky
    Laplace (given in Silph Co.)
    Thunders
    Kabutops
    Kabigon
    Freezer
    Thunder
    Fire
    Mewtwo

Red defeated Champion Green and was inducted into the Hall of Fame with Lizardon, Kabigon, Utsubot, Thunders, Persian and Sawamular

Green's Pokemon were Kamex (evolved from Zenigame, of course), Pidgeot, Foodin and Nassy. Not sure of the other two.
    Last edited by WatcherMark; 2nd October 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Shifting Strategies Lupine Volt's Avatar

Follow Lupine Volt on Tumblr

Red defeated Green with Lapras, Charizard, Scyther, Dodrio, Persian and Jolteon.

Green had Pidgeot, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Blastoise, Rhydon, and...drawing a blank on number five but going by the games it was probably Arcanine.

I loved the part when Red threw the Poke Ball at the trainers Nidoran♀ only for it to be blocked, not knowing you can't capture other people's Pokemon... come on, who else did that first time? I know I did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    Suddenly introduced? The very first trailer showed Charizard and Red with what looked suspiciously like a Mega Stone. You don't actually think that this special was created without the intention of tying into the games, do you? It's no coincidence this came out now rather than the actual 20th anniversary.

Blog Entries

No words.....

Just all my feels.
    Foxeaf and Toa of Gallifrey like this.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast