REVIEW: "Pokémon The Movie: White/Black - Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram" Review Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "Pokémon The Movie: White/Black - Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Pokémon The Movie: White/Black - Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram" Review Thread

Pokémon The Movie: White—Victini and Zekrom and Pokémon The Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram

Ash and his friends arrive at Eindoak Town, the ancestral home of the People of the Vale where only the Sword of the Vale remains as part of their legacy. Through entering a Pokémon Tournament being held in the town, Ash meets the legendary Pokémon Victini whose power can bring victory to others. However, a descendant of the People of the Vale Damon wishes to use the Sword of the Vale to regain the kingdom that his people had long ago! Can Ash, his friends and Victini stop him?

Default Re: "Pokémon The Movie: White/Black - Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram" Review Thread

I was just looking for a review thread about this. xD

Reserving this spot until this airs on YTV in Canada or comes out on DVD, whatever comes first.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Pokémon The Movie: White/Black - Victini and Zekrom/Reshiram" Review Thread

Lucky me, i saw it in theaters.

Golurk has freaking jet engines? What? The whole theater was shocked by that.

So THAT'S how Serperior moves when animated. Awesome. I love the way they got his slithery motion down. Seviper's animation in the anime sorely lacked that.

Speaking of which, where is Ash's Snivy? :(

Early on the film gets into that slow paced magic of something along the lines of what everyday life in the Pokémon world might be like when not rushed to fit a 20 minute timeframe per episode, but even though this is by far the best part of the film for me, it goes on WAY too long.

By the time Victini handed the protags those giant berries, i was literally thinking "okay, everyones having way too much fun, where's a villain when you need one? something bad needs to happen!" and that was I believe well more than a half hour into the film, perhaps even nearly toward the hour mark, though I wasn't keeping time.

Unlike the Zoroark film where theres a nice flow from everyday peaceful life in this pictureseuqe city in the Pokémon world into the crisis at hand fairly early, this seems to lose its way, getting bogged down in backstory.

The Arceus film handled the backstory and mythology leading up to present events well in flashback form, but here in the Zekrom film, even though these past events are BEAUTIFULLY told, they distract from the action and don't provide a very satisfying payoff.

Reshiram and Zekrom may as well not have had any spoken dialog at all. THe few things they say could have easily been ommitted with little being lost to the story, though their role in the film was awesome and satisfying.

This film has no explicit villain, only a well intentioned extremist who is redeemed and forgiven with little fanfare once the crisis is dealt with.

Victini itself was cute, awesome and fun, though surprisingly not telepathic like Zorua and Shaymin were.

The scenes within the flying castle seemed almost plagiarized from Pokemon the Movie 2000: though for a change unlike Larwence, Zero, Kodai, and Hunter J's craft, this antagonistic airship isn't blown up, which is almost a surprise so common that trope has reared its head in Pokémon anime in the past.

Use of the Klink line to power machinery such as helicopters and giant music boxes is creative, visually satisfying, and gives a glimpse into how Pokémon assist and influence technology in that world.

Strangely however, this movie directly conflicts with the first episode of the Pokémon Black/White anime, in which ash sees Zekrom in the first episode. In this movie, Zekrom, which is presumed in that film to be the one and only such creature, existed in the form of a stone until awakened by ash or by the antagonist.

Unlike the Trio of Sinnoh based films, which go out of their way not to conflict with the role Dialga and Palkia would play on the television series, with these movies, it seems the writers have backed themselves into a hole in which the TV series has no hope of Zekrom and Reshiram mirroring the roles they play in the Pokemon Black & White video games without completely disregarding the films.

Overall, though the action scenes in the second half of the film were good the backstory behind them wasn't nearly as satisfying as they aught to have been. I almost would have rather had a more laid back film about Ash and his friends hanging out with Victini all day getting into cartoony antics rather than take a long time explaining all this backstory for a not that compelling conflict at the end.

Also, the "fake out death" of Ash and the TWO "fake out deaths" of Victini were really unimpressive and I don't think even small children would have fallen for them if they've seen any of the previous Pokémon movies, which make this a habit.

At least in the Zoroark film I actually CARED about the characters caring about Zoroark possibly dying, here I just felt like "whatever, I know they're not dead".

All that said, I had a blast in the theater and I'll remember the awesome time I had watching the first hour or so of this film (prior to the pop up book scene) for the rest of my life.

Also, the CG is SO SO SO SO SO much better than in the Lucario film, where it looked about as good as a Playstation 1 cutscene.

And Team Rocket was freaking useless more so than in any more prior. They literally shouldn't have been in the film at all. A shame since I was looking forward to a more serious treatment for them as indicated by the recent anime episodes.

In the Mewtwo, Arceus and Lugia movies for instance, even though Team Rocket were comic relief, at least they had something to do with the action of the main plot, even if they managed to go the entire movie without coming face to face with Ash.
    Last edited by SuperTrainStationH; 4th December 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I saw The Zekrom version in theaters earlier today!

First, I want to say I liked this movie more than I thought I would. I read some spoilers online and was not that interested in the plot, and it even seemed confusing to me while reading it, but I wanted to see it anyway just to see it in theaters. I feel so weird using the dub names while writing this!

- I think America did a VERY poor job showing off that they’re two different movies. I didn’t realize how different they were until I saw this one, besides the differences in the Japanese preview with the shiny Hydriegon/Golurk, etc. But it references Reshiram = truth and Zekrom = ideals, and Ash has a small dialouge about it when he approaches Zekrom, so I’m assuming it’s different in the Black version, as well as a few other things when it was referenced.

- It felt like they were trying to do WAY too much with the plot. It was overcomplicated at times. I didn’t have trouble following it, but idk, it just felt like a ~bit much~. Tying in the dragons to Victini's plot was overkill at times.

- I loved the battle competition at the beginning! It was so cool getting to see Hydriegon, Emboar, and a Serperior, and the battles in the town streets were neat! I loved Emolga using Volt Switch and getting Iris disqualified XD

- I lol'd when Cilan flinched at the Purrloin. Nice to see subtlethings like this from the show carrying over to the films!

- I love love love the Rockets, I’m a total Rocket fangirl, but THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THEM TO BE IN THIS MOVIE. Their first two scenes were amazing, Jessie looked GORGEOUS and classy in that dress, but the ones were they were just in their uniforms derping, no. They never even tried to steal Victini or anything, they just talked about it and derped. Reminded me of how they acted in DP :/

- I thought Reshiram especially was beautifully animated. Zekrom was, too, but Reshiram really stood out to me. The animation overall pleasantly surprised me, I quite enjoyed the scenes with the different wild pokemon and the scenery.

- I thought Victini was going to get on my nerves, but it was actually really cute! Reminded me of Mew. And Cilan’s never ending supply of macrons lol wat

- The credits were beautiful. The song was cute, and catchy, but eh, I like the Japanese one much better. But the credits were worth the watch, some nice bro time between Iris, Cilan and Ash.

- The scores in the movie were lovely

- I thought the build up to Zekrom was kind of disappointing. The part with the story of the two brothers was really neat, (why didn't they give Victini his own movie and make a Zekrom/Reshiram movie about THAT???) but once we finally saw Zekrom (I admit, when Ash finally confronted him, he looked pretty bad ass!) idk, the dragons plot working in to Victini's felt forced at times. They did a good job with Victini's story though, I felt really sad for him at times :(

Overall, I mostly enjoyed seeing a Pokemon movie on the big screen again, and that's where most of the enjoyment for this film came from. I do want to see the Black version when I get a chance because now that I've seen the White version, I am curious as to the dialogue differences besides the different Pokemon.

But my drunk review from last night still stands, before I even saw the movie

“no scientists, but Musashi was hot”
    Karamazov likes this.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I said in the other thread about this movie, I liked this one better than the Zoroark movie. That being said:

-As always, the movies have spectacular animation. I don't catch too many TV episodes, but I always make sure to see every movie, partially due to the animation and deeper stories.

-Did anybody LOL whenever they said "dragon force"? I expected to hear really fast guitars! ;)

-The titular dragon didn't get as much screen time as the opposite. I know it was the plot, but I expected Zekrom to come out earlier than it did.

-Victini eating macaroons was adorable.

-Reshiram's cry was absolutely gorgeous. It sounded like a wailing loon or one of those pipe instruments from the SW US.

-On a similar topic, even though both of them were played by a guy, Reshiram's telepathic voice sounded dignified while Zekrom sounded tougher and manlier. It was the best voice acting job for talking Pokemon in a while.

-Damon was a jerk. He came off as a very nice guy that cared for his family and friends, but went too far to do something for his mama.

-How many movies have there been where at least one character gets knocked out and almost dead?

-Thankfully, nobody in this movie said "OMG they're speaking to me in telepathy" out loud!

-Didn't those crystal structures in the interior of the castle/ sword look like stuff from the Lucario or Entei movies? I also liked the early scene where Damon switches to a lower level than the rest of his group, and how they repeated it with Ash later.

-The Reshiram/ Zekrom battling aspect didn't last too long, it was more of Ash and Zekrom helping to get the castle back.

-Nobody in the movie commented about the shiny Pokemon.

-What did Team Rocket do? They were just inserted there to be shown.

-The audience in the theater was impressed by the Serperior during the opening theme.

-I was surprised the opening credits were that far into the movie. Was it 10-15 minutes? I was settled into the main part of the movie when they showed up.

-Zekrom saving Reshiram after it fell was really sweet.

-I was also surprised that they got up to the edge of the atmosphere and that Pokemon could fly around up there. The only thing the movie really acknowleged about it was when Ash said it was too cold, but it added an extra dynamic to the suspense.

Now I can't wait to see the differences in the Victini and Reshiram movie!

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

I will have to wait for the DVD. I hope they get released together in a two disc (collector's perhaps?) edition instead of being released on DVD separately where I'd have to buy it twice

Blog Entries

Okay, a few of my thoughts, since I saw it today:

-Victini was cute, but I didn't feel a connection with it as I did with Mew, Jirachi or Celebi. I did feel badly for it, but I wasn't so torn up that I teared up during it's "death" scene.

-I enjoyed the backstory element quite a bit. Maybe it's because I happen to be a mythology buff, but I just fell into that scene and really didn't want it to end.

-My poor hubby was a bit put off by Cilan's constant food related comments. They didn't bother me but I could see what he meant.

-Loved seeing Serperior on screen. But man, that Samurott! I just loved it to bits and I laughed when it snickered at Ash's Tepig. Too bad it had to lose.

-I felt bad for Damon. A classic example of a certain road being paved with good intentions. =/

-I loved the fact that you heard--and I mean HEARD--Golurk before you saw him. And I hate to say it, but the very second I heard him, I sat straight up in my chair and said quietly, "Oh hi there!"

-I did a bit of a double-take when I heard the term "dragon force".

-I'm glad the Dragons sorted out the mess and began working to stop it. Seeing Zekrom catch Reshiram and having Reshiram realize what was really going on was great.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    Golurk has freaking jet engines? What? The whole theater was shocked by that.
    Hey, I thought everyone knew that.

The moment Golurk was called on to stop Reshiram and he went into flight mode, I whispered, "Aw YES!!" I admit it, I was grinning like an idiot when I saw the big guy take to the skies. It was also nice to see him, along with both Dragons, help push the castle back into place.

I knew it was going to happen: the tears didn't come for Victini or Ash but man, seeing Golurk go down twice....

And Team Rocket was freaking useless more so than in any more prior. They literally shouldn't have been in the film at all. A shame since I was looking forward to a more serious treatment for them as indicated by the recent anime episodes.
    I actually forgot that they were in the blasted film until I saw them hanging onto the castle. Then I thought, "Oh, right. They're still here." I don't know anyone felt the need to put them in as they did absolutely nothing to further the story at all. They really should have been left out completely.

Now I can't wait to see the other movie on CN.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Just watched the movie. Wow, I didn't know Scraggy can fly THAT high =P
    Not to mention, that super charged Ember turned into a flamethrower...

I just don't understand why did writers have to include TR in the movie. They did absolutely nothing, worse than the previous movies. Utter wastage of time, seriously.

Overall, it was a fun kind of, peaceful no ZOMG KILL THE VILLAIN

I wonder if the writers got that "ash-future-eye" thingy from That's So Raven =P
    Last edited by Adyniz; 5th December 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow guardian468 on Tumblr Visit guardian468's Youtube Channel

I really enjoyed the movie and Victini was sooo cute, however i was a bit bothered by Zekrom's voice. He sounded older in the japanese version but i felt like they made him sound too old in the dub. I really liked how Reshiram was potrayed here and his voice was really nice! :)

追放されたバカ

Victini is a friggin CUTIE PIE...OOOOOHHH, I just wanted to hug and squeeze it!!!
    Victini Used Searing Shot! It's not very effective...
    Victini used V-Create! A Critical Hit! It's Super Effective!
    Damon is now on my top 3 Pokémon movie antagonists!
    Golurk used Iron Giant style Flight! The wild Audience flinched!
    Meh, Hydreigon...needed more of it!!!
    Team who? Why?
    I was surprised at how Siglyph's name was pronounced(I thought you focused on the gilyph, not the Sigil)
    Shudder...that many Solosis and Duosion,,,,also, is everybody sure that they belong to Damon?They were present in the myth...who said they ever left?(I know than they could be the descendants of those, but does Damon own them? I think NOT!!!!!!)
    Serperior, Emboar, Samurott FTW!
    Did Ash win the tourney?
    Scraggy's Moon Jump was AWESOME!!
    Zekrom and Reshiram need to show up in the main animé NOW!
    Deerling are needed more often, they are so funny!!!
    M14 used M033 and M09 crystal! It's super effective!
    NOW ASH MUST CAPTURE A KLINK MORE THAN EVER!!!!!!!!!
    Cilan+Purrloin=Please explore this plot, Anime!!!!!
    Did Iris pay for that Victini charm, or was she given it for free?(Juanita=bad businesswoman)
    Manus's helicopter was awesome(also, how much power can a Klinklang produce?!)
    Dragon Force was meh...WHY "DRAGON FORCE"? Why not Ley Lines?(that is what it is based on, if you do not know what ley lines are, google it.)
    BGM was Uber cool
    Emolga's Head Dance=

You got mud on yo' face, ya big disgrace, kickin' your can all over the place singin'
    WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!
    WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!

Overall:10/11

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

does anyone know how the movie did in the Box Office?

If it did well, maybe they will go back to playing them in theaters like normal movies (not just a limited release)
    Trainer Gabriel likes this.

Blog Entries

If you don't mind my asking, but I'm really curious for details on the full length dub opening that apparently featured (replacing "Best Wishes: Movie Edit"). I know it's hardly an important part of the movie, but I'm a sucker for any and all Pokémon songs XD

//mahLOVE//mahLIFE//
    //mahART//
    Volcarona avatar made by myself

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Laterna View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, but I'm really curious for details on the full length dub opening that apparently featured (replacing "Best Wishes: Movie Edit"). I know it's hardly an important part of the movie, but I'm a sucker for any and all Pokémon songs XD
    There's not much to say about it...It followed the same general format of "It's not always ____ and/or _____" replacing with "right or wrong", "black and white", and a number of other phrases. I mean, I don't know what you're really looking for.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Blog Entries

Was it a different version of the opening or basically an extended version of the song?
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Same song, just longer. Like the other themes.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast