REVIEW: Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice

Default Re: Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice

I loved this movie. Vic Mignogna surpassed Shoko Nakagawa for sure. Kyurem's voice was okay, however the attempts at growls and such were horrible. The sacred swordsmen were okay, except for the fact that they made Terrakion sound like a muppet. As always I just couldn't stand the other English voices. TPCI really likes to make 4kids sound good.

All in all, I'd say it was about average. TCPI still is pretty second rate and I believe that it was an insult to Vic to have had him work for such a company. Vic's talent is something that they don't deserve to work with. If you wonder why I hate them so much, its because they promised to stay true to the original Japanese version of the anime, but they failed. Not to mention how they make the anime sound like a bad fandub.

Lastly, what is up with the title change? I like the original title. "Kyurem VS. the sacred swordsmen Keldeo".
    RIP Craig Andersen AKA Kimba W. Lion (1955-2012)

"World's Greatest Kimba Fan"

She said both the strongest Dragon-Type Pokémon and strongest Pokémon in the world... she probably meant dragon both times.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rentora
    Vic Mignogna surpassed Shoko Nakagawa for sure.
    Have you seen the entire movie in Japanese? Or have you only heard snippets of Nakagawa's voice in the various trailers and whatnot?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentora
    Vic Mignogna surpassed Shoko Nakagawa for sure.
    Have you seen the entire movie in Japanese? Or have you only heard snippets of Nakagawa's voice in the various trailers and whatnot?
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to Shoko-tan's general voicing of the character we've heard dozens of times in previews since I don't think many people have seen the movie in fully Japanese. His statement seemed more opinionated more than anything since from what I can of the anime forums, you all think Shoko-tan is terribad. So, I'm not surprised Vic M. would do a better job if that is the case.

Cilan looked very badass during his Metro Connoiisseur scene, the movie was kinda bland at times but oh well. I liked how he commanded Crustle to use Rock Wrecker on the Cryogonal and had Stunfisk using Thundershock as a mode of transportation.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Technically, Arceus is a Dragon-type.

..And Fire. And Water, Electric, Ghost, Bug, Psychic, Dark, Steel, Poison, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Ground, Rock, Flying, and, of course, Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentora View Post
    Lastly, what is up with the title change? I like the original title. "Kyurem VS. the sacred swordsmen Keldeo".
    The Arceus movie had Arceus call "Judgment" "Justice". Seems they don't want to use religious terms...or whatever those are.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I think this movie was wayyy better than anything we've had in a long time. I do admit that the generic running from Cryogonal scenes got a bit redundant, but at least we got some fairly nice character interactions in the meantime.

And the best part? They actually put the advanced art style to good use and had some epic battle scenes, which seem to be missing from most of the recent movies. I also liked how Ash wasn't "The Chosen One" this time and the focus was actually on a Pokemon and their journey. Ash 'n company kind of took a backseat, which was a nice change in my opinion. But even though Ash wasn't as much of the focus as he usually is, Cilan and Iris were actually useful! :O

I think they handled Kyurem's role very well. It wasn't really a bad guy, so much as a test giver that helps Keldeo discover his true purpose. I greatly preferred that over a mindless, rampaging monster who is under the control of a generic villain that I honestly don't care about.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to Shoko-tan's general voicing of the character we've heard dozens of times in previews since I don't think many people have seen the movie in fully Japanese. His statement seemed more opinionated more than anything since from what I can of the anime forums, you all think Shoko-tan is terribad. So, I'm not surprised Vic M. would do a better job if that is the case.
    So you guys are basing this opinion on...a couple of trailers? Vs. an entire 90 minute movie with Vic M.?

And yet when I do the same thing when the first English trailers came out, I get told that I needed to give Vic a chance and that it wasn't fair to base a person's performance on a few snippets in a couple of trailers?

Seems like a pretty shitty double standard to me.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Here are some comments I made during the Canadian airing.

I really liked this movie. Not only was the art stunning and the story fantastic, but the characters were great. Kyurem was mysterious and scary. I sort of wish he appeared more, but at least he was always menacing. And he didn't steal the scene, which allowed more Keldeo/Ash bonding. :3

You can tell just house close the Swords of Justice are with Keldeo; Keldeo's hero worship of them is adorable.

The movie got dull at times, but the cute dynamic between the characters and the art made up for those moments.
    Was this movie's setting based on Toronto, Canada? If so, that's really cool! I know the Deoxys movie was based on Vancouver, Canada.

Anyway, just finished the movie and it's actually pretty good despite some flaws. First off, it's probably the "scariest" Pokemon movie to date since Kyurem is a pretty scary Pokemon and most of the movie took place at night. I can picture many younger fans being scared/covering their eyes at some scenes.

Loved the 3D effects they used through out the movie and was pleased it wasn't excessive. Kyurem was also really agile for such a bulky Pokemon.

Some crits/nitpicks:

- I didn't like how it wasn't explained how Kyurem was able to transform into White Kyurem and Black Kyurem besides it basically just can.
    - After Keldeo confessed to Kyurem that it had lied to Kyurem about being a Sword of Justice, why did Kyurem still want to continue the battle? Was Kyurem waiting for Keldeo to accept defeat or battle with Keldeo until it's incapacitated or dead?
    - I totally forgot that I had read the summary prior to watching the movie and that Keldeo got defeated at the end. Whomp whomp.

Can't wait to see what the Genesect movie has in stored for us! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Technically, Arceus is a Dragon-type.

..And Fire. And Water, Electric, Ghost, Bug, Psychic, Dark, Steel, Poison, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Ground, Rock, Flying, and, of course, Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentora View Post
    The Arceus movie had Arceus call "Judgment" "Justice". Seems they don't want to use religious terms...or whatever those are.
    Ugh...That is something that really gets on my nerves..Why are they so afraid to insult people? It's fiction. So what if it offends some religious nuts who have nothing better to do than complain about a fictional kid's movie?

I watched this in Canada. Scenes were obviously not cut, but this movie felt so short. It was only on from 5-6:45, including commercials. To me, this felt too much like Movie 11, with the trains and the Pokémon Center. Not to mention the way the Cryogonal was way too similar to the Magnemite/Magneton. I also felt this movie should of centered more around Iris since we saw her Village elder talking about Kyurem and it was Ice/Dragon, Iris' least and most favorite types! It would of been nice to see more development between Keldeo and the gang rather than all the Kyurem chasing scenes. Overall, the movie was good, but compared to others, was really lacking. Can't say I'd really want to go back and watch it again. I'd have to give the movie a 6/10.

And for everyone who watched it in Canada, how come we didn't get the full ending like we usually do? Has TPCi not actually completed it yet? We just got a instrumental version with white text over black background, like a regular TV episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    According to what? The video games that these animated projects ignore all the freaking time?
    I didn't ignored entire movie it's the movie could be having errors the games said Arceus is the strongest pokemon.
    Last edited by EncoreVauxhall; 8th December 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Quoting Mistake

Blog Entries

I believe this movie was shorter than all the others because of the Meloetta short that was shown before it in Japan.... I wonder if we'll ever get to see the Meloetta short in English. Maybe they'll have a special promotion where Meloetta is finally available for download and the short can be watched online somewhere?

I'm hoping that the Japanese DVD is going to be put up for purchase online soon. Occasionally I will but the Japanese DVDs, but not all the time because they cost about $40+. Currently I have Movie 8 and 13 in Japanese. I also have movie 1 (two copies..) and 5 in Japanese on VHS. I also have the 3rd mini movie, the 2nd mini movie, Pikachu's winter vacation, Pokemon Irukana/can you draw Pokemon? (I think that's the title..) (I'm such a nerd...)

Blog Entries

I know this is minor, but Terrakion using the old, orange version of Hyper Beam really irked me [that was Hyper Beam, right?]

I didn't like how Kyurem could transform with little explanation, but I did like how it wasn't a bad guy without being overly saccharine. It was kinda cold [pun completely intended] though.

Also, I guess we're supposed to accept that the gang stayed up all night trying to help Keldeo, given the sunlight near the end. But timing is a minor thing.

I did think White Kyurem was pretty cool, as well as the golden color of Keldeo's phallic symbol.

Nice movie, the soundtrack was great as usual, and the lack of world/town-threatening danger was a nice change of pace.
    Enzap likes this.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was one aspect of the movie that I never truly understood, even in the English dub. Why did Keldeo challenge Kyurem to a battle in the first place? Keldeo claimed that it would become a Sword of Justice if it challenged and defeated Kyurem in a battle, but then there was that dialogue from Iris which inferred that all of the Swords of Justice challenged Kyurem to a battle to gain their titles.

It never made sense that the Swords of Justice battled Kyurem in the first place. Kyurem was completely secluded from humans in an abandoned mine, and with the exception of the Cryogonal that it ruled over it hardly interacted with anybody prior to the Keldeo battle. Kyurem did not threaten the lives of any humans or Pokemon until Keldeo ran away from fear after their first battle, and even then Kyurem was only interested in finishing its battle with Keldeo. Kyurem practically ignored Ash and his friends' attempts to stop it from getting to Keldeo. I can understand why Kyurem chased after Keldeo throughout the movie, but what was the justification of their conflict to begin with?

Did Kyurem solely exist to test Keldeo's potential as a Sword of Justice? It felt that way to me, since Kyurem decided to leave after it saw Keldeo using its power to protect Ash and the others. Kyurem even helped to save the lives of Ash and his friends by freezing the collapsing structures in the mine. I wish there was more footage in the movie that helped to answer most of these questions.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast