"Pokémon the First Movie" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Pokémon the First Movie" Review Thread

Originally posted by Hitchi
    Murg, you are amazing. I have to wonder where you have all these resources. I think the Fearow girl probably just thought the storm was too dangerous and turned back, or else she got blown off course or something of the like.
    Thanks. I've actually been through a few discussions like this before, so it didn't take too long to find my old resources.

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    I don't think those trainers died, or even close. Aren't they all there in the end, back at the harbor?
    The three from the island are shown in the crowd shot near the end of the movie. The Fearow girl is not. Nor is any other trainer from the earlier crowd scene, so no real conclusions can be drawn.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if they'd died, I'm sure it would have been mentioned.

Remember, when the ice melted in the second movie, all those thousands of Pokémon were still standing on it. Oak or someone would have said if they'd been in danger...

Heh. Like Kurt in the Cammy manga, I will believe them alive simply for lack of evidence otherwise.

On that mp3 Murg linked to in an earlier post (Honmono Tai Kopii or whatever it was)... I swear I've heard the first part of that in numerous battles during the series itself, including an earlier version of it, though it may as well describe the cruelty of how the Pokemon and copies fought. However, the second part, which sounds like it was played for most of the battle and when Ash got petrified. It's quite... prettiful. And suspenseful. And stuff. =P

Now... for something that has a bit more relevance... the movie itself... I have not seen for a while. However, if I remember, it was definitely somewhat darker than the series, which is a good thing. However, I really can't remember enough of it to get a better review than this.. ^^;;

(I'll edit the post when I watch the movie again)
    "I'm Hanatori, and when I say I'm a Flaming Afro Skeleton... I'm a FLAMING Afro Skeleton." tungsten

The first movie is not bad. I think coolest part of the movie is the start untill the title screen. It really has a "Aha, so that's what happened" effect. I love that. The dub music is ok, with exception of "Brother my Brother" that song really appeared on the wrong moment.
    As for the script, I prefer the Japanese one. I don't know what possesed 4Kids to rewrite the entire script (I really wish they stopped doing that). What I really don't like about the dub is the last part when all the Pokemon are fighting. The ppl there all saying that fighting is bad, while (being Pokemontrainers) they are the once who guide Pokemon in battle.
    A major blooper of 4Kids is giving the Pokemon wrong names. I can forgive them that the had Pidgeot wrong (Pidgeot is called Pijotto in Japanese which kinda sounds like Pidgeotto), but mistaking a Scyther for a Alakazam?!

In general the movie is ok (dub and original), but I like other pokemon movie better.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by tedisbest
    That Team Rocket mistake was idiotic, and it just shows the dubbers' laziness in not fixing it.
    Oh yeah....that reminds me. They did say something about it just being laziness! LOL!

And I forgot to mention that I love all the vocals from this movie too. I also liked how the song, "Brother, My Brother" actually did quite a good job of getting through one of the movie's messages, which was not to fight. And I have the Pokemon The First Movie soundtrack CD. My favorite songs from it are "We're A Miracle", "Don't Say You Love Me", and "If Only Tears Could Bring You Back To Me". They're really good songs! ^_^
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 9th November 2003 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I liked the song too, it's just the usage of it in the movie is detestable.

I've studied film music for a while now, and I can tell you *easily* that an orchestrated track would have worked best there, fading out mid-way to only the sound of the battle...

Personally I thought the movie overall was pretty good.. especially when you watch the Birth of Mewtwo right before it.

One of my favorit bits is when part of the floor explodes and Ash emerges from the smoke.

What I didn't like is how they tried to shove morals down our throughts... Fighting is bad??? What the heck? Then why dose this series evolve around battles? Talk about hypacritical.

Thought I did like the converstation between Meowth and Meowth2... The clone thing is really just an alagory for raceisum...
    Just becuse we're different on the outside dosen't meen we are on the inside...

That was much easier to swallow becuse they handed it more sutibly and didn't shove it at us.

I have the cd for the movie and the thing that annoys me the most about it are the songs that have NOTHING to do with the movie or pokemon in general.

I meen one of the songs they toated most for the movie was Don't Say you love me... What in blue blazes did that have to do with the movie? Absolutely nothing. Nore did stupid popculter songs like the Soda pop one.

Songs that belonged on the cd
    Pokemon Theme
    Vacation
    Catch Me if you can
    Brother my brother
    lullaby (jigglypuff wasen't even in the movie, but at least it's pokemon related)
    We're a miracle
    If only tears could bring (both tie into the tear sceen)
    It was You (possible aamlish song)
    Makeing My Way Any way I can (a good song about Ash)

Songs that you have to say WTH to
    Don't say you love me
    Soda pop
    Somewhere someday
    Get Happy
    Fly with me
    have sine fun with the funk

That's the Biggest weakness of the first movie. The Cd has too many songs that just don't fit, The worst offender being Don't say you love me which shoulden't be occociated with pokemon the way it was.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Gold_guardian
    What I didn't like is how they tried to shove morals down our throughts... Fighting is bad??? What the heck? Then why dose this series evolve around battles? Talk about hypacritical.
    I don't think it really is. In my view, it's like boxing vs. just brawling. You know, a sport vs doing it for no reason.

Dub Message: Fighting Is Bad.

Original Message: In this sort of fight, everyone loses.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Blog Entries

See, I didn't even get that from the dub. They tried to simplify it, but I think it was still the same...

Default Re: "Pokémon the First Movie" Review Thread

I know you guys think the death scene is heartwarming
    but this is disappointing.
    I thought Metwo is going to be defaeted because he's the antagonist of the movie and some antagonists get defeated in animated films

Default Re: "Pokémon the First Movie" Review Thread

Oh boy, this one.

I think it's okay. I really like the idea of Mewtwo's character, but its execution could have been much better.

1. Mewtwo turning good at the end. The Japanese version makes it somewhat plausible, while in the English version, it comes across as a bit forced.

2. Mewtwo wasting the scientists in the Japanese version. I don't if it's just me, but for all the praise the Japanese script gets, it kind of bothers me that he would do this just because he wasn't naturally created. At least the radio drama makes it a bit more understandable by having him get shot in the chest by a security computer. Even the English dub did it better, where Mewtwo asks what will happen to him and the scientists just brush him off. Of course, the dub shot itself in the foot by throwing all subtlety out the window. They didn't have to have Mewtwo say "These humans... they care nothing for me." His actions were enough to register his feelings to the audience, with him tilting his head down in sadness and clenching his paws. I find it to be a fascinating scene, in fact, I'm highly tempted to call it the best scene in the movie. No action, no preaching, just watching the gears work in a character's head. Why can't the Pokémon movies have more of that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12