"Playing with Fire!" Review Thread

Thread: "Playing with Fire!" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Thumbs up "Playing with Fire!" Review Thread

Japanese Episode 273: "Blaziken Returns!! Battle with Hazuki!!"
    American Episode 269: "Playing with Fire!"

The battle between Satoshi and Hazuki (Ash and Harrison) begins today, and we really get to see some nice battling--none of that impossible one-hit KO stuff from Satoshi's match with Shigeru.

Post your thoughts about the episode here.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on September 17th, 2014

Oh, I simply LOVED this episode! The battles (especially Pikachu's with Kecleon) basically amazed me O_o. And I liked how Delia was going on about getting pictures, plus the appearance of Hoenn Pokemon.

The only thing I really didn't like was Blaziken's voice. He sounded like he was on steroids or something (Aha! That's how he won against Charizard in the next episode!).

Overall: 9 1/2 out of 10

SOOOOONANSU!!

Dito for me. This episode was tons better than last week's. I loved snorlax, he rocks!!. The only thing bad about it was that Noctowl got knocked out so easily. Isn't this only the SECOND!!! time Ash has used it in a trainer battle? (first being against Morty) Talk about underused. overall: 5 stars
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Blog Entries

Yeah, I agree. Noctowl is seriously underused. And, of course when it finally does get used....naturally, it faints. Oh well, I kinda expected that. But, anyway, this episode was still pretty good. First of all, I loved that battle with Pikachu and Kecleon. It was really good! And I liked it when Pikachu grabbed Kecleon's tongue, and then gave it a Thunderbolt. That was cool!! Also, I liked it when Ash chose Snorlax to battle Hypno. I mean, at first, I thought that wasn't going to be good because Hypno used Dream Eater on it. But, then it was so mad when Hypno woke it up like that, that when Ash told it to use Hyper Beam it was even more powerful! That was cool. Oh, and I really loved the battle between Bayleef and Houndoom!! Ash thought of such a great strategy for it. I mean, that was just so cool how Bayleef closed Houndoom's mouth with its Vine Whip so that it couldn't use any of its flame or bite attacks. Bayleef's awesome!! Of course, I can't wait to see next week's episode when Charizard goes against Blaziken.

Overall, this episode gets a 10 out of 10! ^_^
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 26th November 2003 at 06:49 PM.

It made a failed attempt against Clair's Kingdra, IIRC...

Kecleon's voice was crap, they didn't know the names of the attacks AGAIN! (Steelix using Wrap). Other than that, it was a good ep. Next week is Blaze Kick!

Am I one of the few here that thought Harrison/Hazuki's voice sounded similar to that of Joey from Yu-Gi-Oh? Just a thought. ^^;;

The episode itself, however, was certainly a sigh of relief. After enduring a crapload of fillers, with a gym battle or mini-arc here or there, we finally get to the Johto championships, and ultimately, this battle. It was certainly worth the wait, as the battle itself compares quite well to some of the better ones in this series. I also thought it was a bit quick compared to how I thought it would be... instead of being somewhere around the third or fourth Pokemon for one trainer or the other, both are down to their last by the end of the episode. However, despite the quick pace, the battle was well-done - I was quite interested to see that Ash could consistently think of surprising moves, such as Bayleef using Vine Whip to close Houndoom's mouth.

Overall: Very good - not quite perfect, but certainly one of the better episodes in the series... I'd say a nine, out of ten, suits it. Maybe a 9.5 for good measure. ^^;;;
    "I'm Hanatori, and when I say I'm a Flaming Afro Skeleton... I'm a FLAMING Afro Skeleton." tungsten

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Hanatori
    Am I one of the few here that thought Harrison/Hazuki's voice sounded similar to that of Joey from Yu-Gi-Oh? Just a thought. ^^;;
    No, I noticed that too.

Well, I already posted my thoughts on Serebii, but...

I still hate Charizard's new dub voice (or maybe it's not just in the dub--I haven't seen this episode in Japanese), and I prefer Hypno's old, echoing voice to the new one as well. I still think this episode seemed rather on the Palletshippy side, too.

All in all, it was alright... not riveting or anything, but good.
    ~*GS on Broadway!*~
    EVITA Quote of the Week:

"The actress hasn't learned the lines you'd like to hear
    She won't join your clubs, she won't dance in your halls
    She won't help the hungry once a month at your tombolas
    She'll simply take control... as you disappear"

- Eva to the Aristrocracy, The Actress Hasn't Learned (The Lines You'd Like to Hear)