REVIEW: "Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!" Review Thread

BW28 - "Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!"

Continuing on their journey, Ash and his friends meet a trainer called Stephen who challenges Ash to a battle straight away with his Blitzle. Although wanting to use Pikachu, Oshawott pops out of its Poké Ball and wants to challenge it instead due to its great confidence in its scalchop against Electric type attacks. However, it turns out that Stephan and Blitzle have other options then Electric type attacks up their sleeve...

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!" Review Thread

So it's mispronounced as Stephen....

I was expecting it to be the other way around.

I... kinda missed it... I had forgot it, but found out when the end was going on, so I only saw the end... but Stephens name is pronounced funny... xD

Blog Entries

Osha @.@ Scalchop's blasting off again! I like these custom shell wipes. "Will you guys stop eating and get serious already?" lol You shouldn't have told it to make a shield. Maybe it wouldn't have made it so big, then. Did they just make an instrumental for the dub theme? It's okay, I guess. I knew there was a reason they named him Stephan. It can be pronounced a number of ways. Oh come on, how can you miss with Aqua Jet at near point blank? Pretty good.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

;___; Kenyan why your Dub voice so blah...

Oh because he played Tristan from Yu-Gi-Oh!....makes sense

Anyway still love this episode even though the Voice Action wasn't that good.

Blog Entries

Stephen/Kenyan had a good voice. Not perfect but it did fit the bill to a certain extent. Though I'd have the VA not make his voice sound so deep when it shouldn't. Plus, the BW dub theme makes for a good montage.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the surface, this episode was primarily focused on Oshawott learning to battle without its scalchop by having the pokemon hold a substitute item that can function in nearly the same way. To a comical effect, none of the items that were offered by Iris and Cilan were sturdy enough to fulfill that role. One of those items, a giant rock that was sculpted into a shell-like shape by Cilan's Dwebble, was too heavy for Oshawott to wield in battle. Oshawott learned to wield the rock through a rigorous amount of training, inadvertedly increasing the pokemon's base attack power and speed. Even after this power-up, however, Oshawott still struggled against Stephan's Blitzle's Flame Charge. Ash and Oshawott barely won that battle as a result of luck and perseverence. The battle could have gone either way.

Stephan's role in this episode serves as the challenge to Oshawott's training. His presence here is no different than past COTDs whose pokemon were far too powerful or too fast for any of Ash's pokemon to battle against prior to their training. Stephan diligently works alongside his pokemon to become stronger together in unconventional ways (i.e. charging Blitzle's mane with an electric battery, increasing the pokemon's power.)

The subject of Oshawott not being able to control his Aqua Jet was brought up again. In fact, this was the first time that this pokemon used the move since it was used in the Nacrene Gym Battle. This subplot will be covered in the next few episodes.

My only complaint of this episode was how Oshawott found his Scalchop at the end of the episode. This was lazy writing, in my opinion. Axew almost never leaves Iris's side, and the pokemon somehow finds the Scalchop in the middle of the tall grass during the battle? I always wondered: Why didn't Ash and co. send out the rest of their pokemon to find this Scalchop before the battle? It just didn't feel logical to me.
    Queen Cynthia likes this.

Why didn't Dwebble just make a smaller scalchop rock? That would have saved a lot of the trouble Oshawott went through with trying to carry around that giant rock that was bigger than him. On the plus side I actually kind of like Stephan's name change because I never really caught the correct way to pronounce Kenyan xP

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

Blog Entries

Love the way the mispronounced Stephan's name, and his VA was alright.

Still my favorite episode just due to how fricken adorable Oshawott is in it. Through the whole thing I just wanted to give Oshawott a big hug lol!
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingQuilava. View Post
    Still my favorite episode just due to how fricken adorable Oshawott is in it. Through the whole thing I just wanted to give Oshawott a big hug lol!
    I would've gone all Rena Ryuga on Oshawott and try to take him home. If possible...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I would've gone all Rena Ryuga on Oshawott and try to take him home. If possible...
    LOL he's just THAT adorable!

BTW did anyone notice when Ash was fighting Stephan he refered to Razor Shell as Shell Blade?
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingQuilava. View Post

BTW did anyone notice when Ash was fighting Stephan he refered to Razor Shell as Shell Blade?
    Oh yeah! Guess the translator didn't notice it.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I always prefered the name Shell Blade anyway. lol

Also, I never noticed how absolutely tiny and adorable Joltik are! I always imagined them bigger.

Overall the episode was pretty entertaining. Why Dwebble couldn't just make a smaller rock shield is beyond me, but I still liked the training montauge with the giant rock.

Blog Entries

This episode is full of speech errors! First Stephen, and now Shell Blade?

Anyways, I loved this episode. It was a nice blend of Oshawott's comical and serious side. We should have that more often. Though I do have to agree, Axew's random finding Oshawott's Scalchop was a bit... rushed and lazy. That was my only complaint about the episode.

Plot: 10/10
    Resolution: 6/10
    Music: 8.25/10
    Animation: 10/10
    Character of the Day: 9/10
    Voice Acting: 9.5/10

Overall Rating: 8.8 points out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mijumaru View Post
    This episode is full of speech errors! First Stephen, and now Shell Blade?

Anyways, I loved this episode. It was a nice blend of Oshawott's comical and serious side. We should have that more often. Though I do have to agree, Axew's random finding Oshawott's Scalchop was a bit... rushed and lazy. That was my only complaint about the episode.

Plot: 10/10
    Resolution: 6/10
    Music: 8.25/10
    Animation: 10/10
    Character of the Day: 9/10
    Voice Acting: 9.5/10

Overall Rating: 8.8 points out of 10
    He isn't a COTD but, whatever.

Anyway, so they used the japanese name for Razor Shell, usually I hate errors but I prefer the Japanese name, so I like that that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Only Cilan can make holding a fishing rod look badass.
    This is Cilan's Stunfisk, he laughs at you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast