REVIEW: "Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: "Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!" Review Thread

BW43 - Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!

While Ash and his friends enjoy a bite to eat, Axew and Tepig suddenly find Meowth from Team Rocket unconcious in the bushes, though Jessie and James are nowhere to be seen! Cilan and Iris help nurse Meowth back to conciousness and he tells them that he isn't in Team Rocket anymore. With Ash offering him a chance to travel with him as long as he promises to not commit anymore crimes, can Meowth keep to such a promise?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: "Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!" Review Thread

Soooo...are we back to DP Meowth again? Alliterations and bad rhyming and all that?
    djulienr likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Oy, it's really infuriating to know the truth. Lol, the pokes' reaction is to attack him on sight. Meh episode on hindsight. I wasn't paying attention to the dialogue really.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Soooo...are we back to DP Meowth again? Alliterations and bad rhyming and all that?
    Nope and thank god. He speaks with a hint of jive talk but other than that, he speaks normally with no rhyming at all.

I think Zoppi made them rhyme back then since they were suppose to be funny but his sense of humor just wasn't to our tastes. Now that they're serious, odds are that we'll NEVER hear those alliterations and rhymes again. I hope... Meowth showed that today.

Even if they do go back to being funny, I hope they're dubbed with normal dialogue.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    No, but Meowth should always retain his older comical personality.

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

This was a fairly entertaining episode.

I see Meowth has turned to the good guys now. I just found out how useful Meowth can actually be in this episode. But I'm probably just guessing that it is a really-well done scheme of the TRio. I mean, he just looks so natural in this episode. Keep in mind that I don't read the future episodes' sypnosis, so I don't know if it really is a scheme or not.

Scrafty was so bada**, but not as much as my favorite Serp. I mean, he just looks so gangsta' while still being a Pokemon. I just love how Scraggy compares to its evolved form.

The part when they're thinking about how they're gonna help Scrafty was epic. The "detective" Cilan was tight. I wish we could've seen more of that.

Well, that's it. Great episode overall. I'm still wondering why it's taking them so long to get to Nimbasa.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Blog Entries

How can you guys say DP Meowth wasn't back? He wasn't rhyming, but he still had outdated 90s slang and was rude to his new "friends". Zoppi must purposely try to suck all the cute out of this character.

We also didn't get any sort of pun based of off Nyagotiator, which was strange. And there was also a bunch of inconsistent dialogue.

Saying this is better than DP Meowth would be damning him with faint praise. He's still nothing like Nyasu.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I may now know how this arc turns out (you know, with Meowth), but it's still enjoyable to watch while it lasts. And in fact, I can enjoy it more now that I don't have to wonder what will happen in the end.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    How can you guys say DP Meowth wasn't back? He wasn't rhyming, but he still had outdated 90s slang and was rude to his new "friends". Zoppi must purposely try to suck all the cute out of this character.

We also didn't get any sort of pun based of off Nyagotiator, which was strange. And there was also a bunch of inconsistent dialogue.

Saying this is better than DP Meowth would be damning him with faint praise. He's still nothing like Nyasu.
    I don't think he was (very) rude. He was sorta praising Ash and co. before Scrafty showed up and even if he was rude, it's more like he was joking around like the groups of friends at my school. They act rude but everyone knows that they don't mean to be rude. And though Meowth was talking in slang at certain parts, I'll take that over the bland dialogue in the JPN version and the Suess-mode from DP. I like Meowth here because he doesn't sound annoying at all at the very least.

Plus, I can't think of a cat-based English pun for negotiator so it's better to have no pun than a forced one.

P.S. Not everyone likes what you like so while you like Meowth in the original Japanese version others might like how Zoppi is now not making the character sound god awful or both. I'm not saying that your opinions are (totally) wrong but you shouldn't say that ours are wrong.

Just... look on the bright side.

Blog Entries

Not a bad dub as I expected it to be. My main gripe is:
    a). They replaced the silent moments in the beginning and in the end when Iris tries to catch Meowth with boring orchestra stuff. The music box piece when Meowth agrees to join the gang was sadly replaced too.
    b) Meowth mispronounces "Pokémon." I know his voice actor's been doing it for years, but it's much more noticeable in this ep for some reason.

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They got Scrafty's US dub voice perfect in my opinion, but I do still dislike Scraggy's US voice: his cuter Japanese voice seems more fitting.

And also, Cilan's random shouting of investigation time was translated pretty well.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

When Meowth defected, I was all like, "This again? I coulda sworn he tried this trick already." Then it turned out to be legit. And I was all, hmmmmm...

It was weird how deep the plot involving Scrafty went. Scrafty was only being a jerk because a Mandibuzz kicked him out, the Manidbuzz was only being a jerk because her Manidbuzz friend kicked HER out for eating all of her Pokémon Snap Handheld Distraction Devices, everyone was just misunderstood. That's not a critique, in fact I would probably have been amused if they strung that along.

An intriguing next step in the pace after that Nimbasa Town reunion battle arc. And considering how much I hate Bianca, I'm glad to be doing something else, particularly with a tried vet like Meowth.

Also, I like DP Meowth. :(
    Moe likes this.

Blog Entries

Sure, he may've had the same unlikeable personality he had in the DP dub, but at least Meowth spoke like a real person would, albeit one who uses outdated slang a lot. It was still easier to watch than just about any JJM scene from DP.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

It was a pretty interesting episode, maybe because this was the second BW episode I saw since BW001, but everything was intersting and excellent.
    Oh, and was it just me, but did James sound like he did from Season 1?
    Last edited by Please Understand; 27th November 2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Serperiority
    But I'm probably just guessing that it is a really-well done scheme of the TRio.
    OK, seriously? Did you not watch the Team Rocket scene in the last episode or something? The one where they pretty much tell us that this whole "Meowth joins the twerps" thing is part of their scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    We also didn't get any sort of pun based of off Nyagotiator, which was strange.
    The dub has been ignoring Nyasu's cat-speak since Season One. It's not all that surprising that "Nyagotiator" got left untranslated.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044
    And though Meowth was talking in slang at certain parts, I'll take that over the bland dialogue in the JPN version and the Suess-mode from DP.
    "Bland dialogue?" His dialogue in the Japanese version is probably the most colorful of anyone on the cast.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast