REVIEW: "A Maractus Musical!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "A Maractus Musical!"

Seek the sparrow prince Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default "A Maractus Musical!"

BW53 - A Maractus Musical!

Ash, Iris and Cilan encounter three Maractus performing a dance routine with their nearby trainer, Toby. After seeing one of the Maractus mess up and introducing themselves, they learn that Toby and the Maractus are practicing their routine so that they can perform in the Musicals in Nimbasa City. Hoping to perform in a local contest before going to Nimbasa, can they get their routine perfected in time with Ash and his friends' help?
    Last edited by Iteru; 17th March 2012 at 08:59 AM.

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Default Re: "A Maractus Musical!"

Maa-kun/Marra, Raa-kun/Racca and Cacchin/TUSHY Tussy. Meh, decent names.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched the first few minutes of this and, knowing it wasn't that great of an episode based on the reviews from the Japanese version, I didn't get too excited.

What really drove me off was Toby's voice. It was just so... stupid-sounding and grating. Didn't sound like a voice any normal person would speak in.

And what a surprise, the Japanese episode actually made a pun in their title and the dub title has no pun whatsoever. How I miss the puns. You'd think this sort of episode would have a lot of possibilities for silly titles.

But yeah, Toby annoyed me so much that I actually changed the channel and watched Dan VS The Bank instead. And I think I was better off for it. :')

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Since I'm the one who's been taking a stroll through the Pokemon time capsule, I think I'll be the one to highlight the source material:

This ep ripped off "Flower Power" and "I Politoed Ya So!" with a little bit of "The Bells are Singing!" as well as every ep when Brock performed that stupid song of his ad nauseum to stall for another performer. Like most ripoffs, this ep didn't live up to its predecessors. And speaking of time capsule, we got to see more of stupid S1 Ash, eager to challenge the next gym even though he was in the wrong city. As much as Iris' "What a kid!" line annoys me, the problem is that she's usually right. Why are TPTB doing this to Ash? At least Cilan didn't arbitrarily declare himself a [fill-in-the-blank] connoisseur.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    \

What really drove me off was Toby's voice. It was just so... stupid-sounding and grating. Didn't sound like a voice any normal person would speak in.

But yeah, Toby annoyed me so much that I actually changed the channel and watched Dan VS The Bank instead. And I think I was better off for it. :')
    At this point, the dub director was probably thinking, "Let's just give him any voice, stupid or not. The writers at ShoPro clearly didn't care so why should we?" I wouldn't blame him if that was true.

@DracoMan - What does TPTB stand for?

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    @DracoMan - What does TPTB stand for?
    The Powers That Be.

Also, normally I'm very tolerant of the voices - even the ones that aren't very good - of the TCPi era. Sometimes I even think 4Kids had more grating voices in certain areas. But Toby's voice... it really got to me for some reason. It reminded me of another character's voice that I also find very annoying - Bren from Monsuno. It's a stupid show with stupid characters and stupid voices, but Bren caused me to hate the perpetually squeaky, high-pitched weak-sounding whiny voice that no guy would ever realistically have... and sure enough, Toby had the exact same kind of voice.

I suppose I have sort of a limited capacity for tolerance of voices that really get on my nerves. And I have a feeling I really didn't miss much after turning the channel around the time the Musicals were being referenced.

But yeeesh, I too was facepalming at Ash being more moronic than he should be for thinking he was in Driftveil City just so Iris could use her unfunny and annoying catchphrase at him. I swear, I don't recall Ash in the past couple of series being so quick to assume shit like this. In BW, it feels like Ash does this "Yay! We're in <insert name here> City!! Where's the Gym?!" with Iris saying "No we aren't gawd you're such a kid" shtick all the freaking time. It's getting old. Just like most of the other running gags in BW.
    Last edited by Shinneth; 17th March 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Really odd that the singer sang Black and White instead of Rival Destinies, I know the latter is a duet, but they could have recorded a solo version of it than use the outdated song.

I got very bored watching this episode, I'd have liked to see a bit more of the other performances as the COTD's performance wasn't interesting enough to warrant a whole episode. I'd also have liked Ash to complain about how Toby was treating the mini-Maractus - even if they aren't introducing Plasma/N yet, it would be good to be laying the groundwork on Ash's perspective towards Pokemon - he's someone you'd expect to get angry about people mistreating Pokemon, not just stand back and offer to help look after the event.

It'd be nice if they actually did something about the two issues pointed out - the little one being scared of heights and the others having weak arms. That's not solved by having a triple battle - how about doing some training exercises? Instead we got several painful minutes of Pokemon making noise.

I was also a bit confused about the Musical relation - Toby called it a Pokemon Performance Show or something, not a musical - which was quite different in its execution a few episodes ago, and makes the episode title all but wrong. Also - at all points involving a rainbow they were below it, not over it. Regardless of what they do in the anime with musicals, they could at least be consistent in defining them.

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Haven't seen the episode's dub version yet but after reading these reviews, looks like it's gonna be a boring episode. I really enjoyed the original version though, let see.

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

This was a rather "meh"-worthy episode. I was on my laptop for the whole time, so I wasn't paying attention much.

The Maractus were pretty cool. I like how they sounded. Couldn't figure out why a Triple Battle would help.

Ash was really stupid at the beginning, you know what I'm talking about.

Pretty interesting backstory. Like how he wants the musical to bring the town back alive.

(Toby?)'s voice wounded pretty irritating to me. But I could live with it.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

The only part of the episode I liked was when Dent/Cilan got down and did that dance with Pansage :D . Everything else was meh though IMO.

Professional Doomsploder Bishie Karis-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Bishie Karis-chan's Youtube Channel

I actually enjoyed this episode. Ironically, I thought I would hate it. But, I do think the episode as a whole was pretty good (for a filler, at least). The other performances toward the end were...interesting to say the least, and the scene near the beginning where the trio's Pokémon were trying to play music was pretty funny. I actually thought the combination the Maracti did was pretty neat; it kinda reminded me of Contest appeals (which, ironically, I didn't care much for). Plus, the little one (Tussie, was it?) was super-cute. :D

....there's just one problem I have. How did a rainbow form at the very end...without any rain in sight?

Bishounen Pride! • "Righteousness will always triumph over evil!" • Karis's Fanclub

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serperiority View Post
    The Maractus were pretty cool. I like how they sounded. Couldn't figure out why a Triple Battle would help.
    They had to bring it to anime format somehow. And yeah, the Maractus were really cool. Toby, however, could use some testosterone in his voice before thinking of anything music related.

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    At this point, the dub director was probably thinking, "Let's just give him any voice, stupid or not. The writers at ShoPro clearly didn't care so why should we?" I wouldn't blame him if that was true.
    Actually they care quite a lot this season. They'll usually listen to the original and try their hardest to get a voice that's as accurate as possible. I'm not sure what happened with Toby, though. Maybe someone was sick?

I heard Maractus in PokePark 2, but I still love their voice. <3 It's so cute and doesn't disappoint, because Maracacchi had adorable voices too. The routine is also fun to watch, as well as watching them try to help the Maractus get it right. But that doesn't seem to match what the majority of you think. But that's alright.
    Last edited by Jo The Marten; 17th March 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Changing emote

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

I felt that the music selection (change) for the Maractus' performance was a bit off. It didn't seem to go with the routine.

I liked the Maractus' names, especially Tessy. I was very shocked to see the singer doing Black & White instead of Rival Destinies.

What a horrible replacement for Contests this is. Just thank the writers for not turning this into a full fledged quest for one of the main characters. This was bad enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast