Like Tree529Likes

Thread: M16 "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens"

Default Re: Genesect in Movie 16

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zistal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zistal View Post
    I know shinsoku could be considered a pun on Best Wishes
    ...what are you talking about? Are you going off that stupid "Godspeed" mistranslation Bulbapedia uses here?
    Yes. How is it a mistranslation?
    In every way possible. Shinsoku doesn't mean "godspeed", and is in no way a "pun on Best Wishes". Whomever "translated" that didn't have the slightest clue what the word godspeed means.

"Shinsoku" means "extreme speed", or more literally, "speed equal to that of the gods", "godly speed", "divine speed" or whatever. But not "godspeed".
    As any half-decent dictionary can tell you, the "speed" in "godspeed" means "prosperity", and wishing someone godspeed means to tell them you wish for God to grant them prosperity in life. The word has nothing to do with velocity.

you are both a little incorrect -- shinsoku does technically mean a god-like speed. the shin is "god" and the soku is "speed". but it is not at all godspeed, as in, what you may say to someone setting off on a journey. it doesn't translate that way in japanese. i get the point about godspeed in ENGLISH meaning nothing about speed, but it does still mean a godly speed, so godspeed being used was a misunderstanding of proper english, not japanese. even i shrugged it off at first.

i don't care if shinsoku should mean an extreme speed or the move extremespeed. i don't think any of us has the authority to say which one they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post
    i get the point about godspeed in ENGLISH meaning nothing about speed, but it does still mean a godly speed, so godspeed being used was a misunderstanding of proper english, not japanese.
    Well yeah, that's the entire point. The Japanese "shinsoku" means "godly speed", but the English "godspeed" does not. Hence, translating Shinsoku as "godspeed" is completely wrong, the words don't mean anything remotely similar.
    Dogasu likes this.
    So.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Can I ask where is the "Godspeed" stuff? I checked the posters and I don't think I ever saw anything like "Godspeed".

My mother tongue has the same grammar sequence as Japanese, and the translation of Sjinsoku no Genesect isn't weird. That Shinsoku just means Godly Speed - which would refer to Extremespeed in this case. It's just Genesect knowing Extremespeed and nothing more nothing less. Where on earth did "Godspeed" appear?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'm guessing that someone decided to just translate the individual kanji (神 and 速) as "god" and "speed," saw that "godspeed" was a word that exists in the English language, and then assumed that that was a good translation.

Also, as far as I know, there's been absolutely no confirmation that the Genosect in this movie knows ExtremeSpeed.
    Last edited by Dogasu; 20th December 2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, if the title doesn't necessarily refer to the move ExtremeSpeed, then it means something where the English equivalent is "Turbocharged" or "Super Speed?"

If that's the case, they could definitely throw in a "vs another Pokemon" to the title come February.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I'm guessing that someone decided to just translate the individual kanji (神 and 速) as "god" and "speed," saw that "godspeed" was a word that exists in the English language, and then assumed that that was a good translation.

Also, as far as I know, there's been absolutely no confirmation that the Genosect in this movie knows ExtremeSpeed.
    ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia has it saying ExtremeSpeed Genesect, though.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

...so what?
    Playerking likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Bulbapedia is going with Dogasu's translation.

Well now we know there are two new Pokemon to be revealed. This is all incredibly reminiscent of Zoroark's movie.

I wouldn't say that the merch poster confirms that TWO new Pokemon will be revealed. One of the hidden Pokemon could just be a generic Pokemon we already know about, they have a (stupid) tendency to hide a Pokemon we already know about in merch. But one of the hidden items should surely be a new Pokemon.

Could still be two new Pokemon, who knows but there will definitely be one (which we all suspected anyway).

Blog Entries

I'd only put stock in the hidden clock. One of the two missing keychains could simply be Dragonite.

I wonder if the regular Genesect, Charizard and Dragonite will make the movie too similar to Episode N. I was reminded of this when I saw the news. Will the Generation VI Pokémon have a similar role in the movie to Mewtwo's role on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Zistal
    This is all incredibly reminiscent of Zoroark's movie.
    The Eevee short will in all likelihood render a Zorua-like Pokémon pointless. I could easily see just one Pokémon debuting in the movie, with anyone else (in particular a new Eeveelution) being reserved for the short.

Seems like Ash's Charizard, or at least a Charizard will be in this movie.

martianmister likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Only Cilan can make holding a fishing rod look badass.
    This is Cilan's Stunfisk, he laughs at you.

moa

Genesect drive in the poster seems to be glowing green but in the merchandise is the yellow drive - shock drive,
    there isn't any drive that is green in color, right?

is this a correct assumption?,(I am a little colorblind between greens and blues transition)

๑๑-•¨°º¤ø„º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„ ๑๑-• ๑๑-•ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º- ๑๑-
    ________________________ ___________________________

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by moa View Post
    Genesect drive in the poster seems to be glowing green but in the merchandise is the yellow drive - shock drive,
    there isn't any drive that is green in color, right?

is this a correct assumption?,(I am a little colorblind between greens and blues transition)
    Yeah, it looks like you're right on both accounts.

Edit: Oop, got a closer look. The Genesect in the poster has a yellow drive.
    Last edited by Karamazov; 27th December 2012 at 11:09 PM.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post

But surely that gets confusing though.

I mean if the word that's being talked about also refers to said move which in English is "Extremespeed" then wouldn't it cause a huge headache to refer solely to the meaning behind the move, rather than the move itself. I mean surely there's some other way describe Genesect as incredibly fast without actually using the Pokémon move to describe it.

Because that's just asking for trouble and headaches. I mean let's use the English to get my point across better, ignoring any flaw that would occur if this was actually a Japanese example since they are to different languages.

For example: Gravity Claydol which could refer to the move, or perhaps this Claydol can specifically control gravity without actually using the move. Wouldn't it better to say "Gravity Controlling Claydol" instead?

So in the case of Genesect, why have it be "Godly Speed Genesect" why not "Speed of Light Genesect" or "Warp 10 Genesect" (JOKE) or "Fast Lightning Godly Speed Genesect" why use "shinsoku" (that's the word, right?).

Edit: I realize my example is semi horrible, because it doesn't really work. It seems to me the English tried hard to make sure that the moves couldn't be used as descriptors, unless you were to add or subtract letters which in English could change the entire meaning of the title making it impossible for anyone (who did research it) to be confused with an actual Pokémon move.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 27th December 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast