REVIEW: "Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: "Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster!" Review Thread

Those who solely watch the dub may be interested in The Spoiler-Free Zone.

BW33 - Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster!

On route to Nimbasa City, a trainer named Georgia appears and suddenly challenges Iris to a battle! The self-titled Dragon Buster taunts Iris into accepting and quickly defeats Axew with her Ice-type Beartic. Disappointed at the quick win against Axew, Georgia demands that Iris sends out her next Dragon-type Pokémon and upon learning that Iris has no others, proceeds to taunt her again. Iris however challenges her Beartic to a battle with Excadrill despite its disobedience! Will Excadrill listen to Iris and defeat the Dragon Buster?
    Last edited by Iteru; 17th September 2011 at 08:36 AM.

Default Re: "Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster!" Review Thread

Haha, its alot better to watch it so you can understand what its about! So its that Iris pushed Excadrill too hard and didnt cared what he felt... and he didnt want to listen because he didnt wanted to get pushed like that again?

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep, this episode sure was... uh...

I think the best part was the very beginning. Because once I realized Langley = Georgia, a certain Family Guy scene came to mind and now I'm picturing the almighty breakfast-thieving Dragon Buster having a self-realizing moment and crying at the table.

"Why is my name Georgia? That's the name of a state! WHY IS MY NAME GEORGIAAAA BAWWWWWW"

Yep. Best part, no doubt. It's canon to me.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Georgia? That's not a name I expected her to have. Ach, Georgia's more douchey in person. Mr. Contesta is....Drayden. Wow, this is a really good bonding ep.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Georgia, wow...
    I really liked this episode- it shows the more pleasant side of Iris that the writers should show more often.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

You know, I get the feeling if this was a pre-Diamond and Pearl Episode, Beartic eyes would have bulged out every time it was hit, and by the end, Iris and Georgia would have been the greatest friends ever.

Anyway, it was a really well put together episode. I actually can't wait till the group goes to the Village of Dragons, if just for more of the scenery there. I'm starting to wonder if the relationship between Drayden and the Elder will be covered in the show, or maybe that really was just a nod. Speaking of Drayden, his voice is AWESOOOMMMEEE! Little Iris was cute. Funny to see that Deerling dragging her away so many times.

And the battles, while not incredibly unique were fresh enough from great animation.

Interestingly I just watched Charizard Chills the other day, and can say that I'm pleasantly surprised by how this episode compares to its forerunner from so long ago.

Whereas that classic episode displayed what a great trainer Ash is despite his shortcomings, this one showed Iris herself being the problem, and learning to better herself. I'm impressed that the writers went with some other explanation for Excadrill's disobedience than the traditional "I'm too strong to listen to a twerp like you" reason that we saw with Charizard and Mamoswine. I didn't see that development coming and Iris' realization of her fault and tearful apology genuinely got to me.

Ultimately, I'm very positive on this episode, not only because it was good, but because it played off my expectations to surprise me, and was more than just a retread of an old story arc with new characters. Just one more piece of proof that this series is still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    You know, I get the feeling if this was a pre-Diamond and Pearl Episode, Beartic eyes would have bulged out every time it was hit, and by the end, Iris and Georgia would have been the greatest friends ever.
    You're probably right! It just goes to show that while the early episodes may be the best, the series has evolved over the years to make newer episodes and story arcs more compelling than the classics in their own way.
    Last edited by Iteru; 17th September 2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Moe likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Langely...erm Georgina....comes off as a bit one-dimensional in this first appearance.

She seems like a mix of Harley and Ursula. Thankfully her character is better fleshed out in her next appearance, but in this one its like, "Haven't we seen this before two times already?"

Mike Pollock as Drayden?? Holy awesomeness on a stick!

Wow, I almost felt like crying seeing Iris cry when she finally realized her mistake. I really liked her in the episode, and Excadrill was awesome.

I didn't like Georgia though. She's such a selfish b****.

All in all, this was the episode I had been most waiting for in English. Awesome. =D
    Eeveeanne likes this.

Y Rotation Team

i have to admit since iris always is kinda annoying seeing her cry made me laugh im prob a horrible person

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Wow, dub did really good... Since I've never seen Iris' soft side in the Engrish version =P
    Overall, a job well done

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oddly enough I liked this more than the ep Dawn got her Mamoswine to obey her. Even if this episode was a rehash of the Mamoswine one, which in turn was a rehash of the Charizard one.

Just goes to prove that rehashing sometimes gets better when you do it in a slightly different way. Also as others said, nice to see Iris not act stuck-up for once.

I was also about to tear up when Iris was sad... but we got guest at home, so I didnt want to do it in front of everyone XD

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Oddly enough I liked this more than the ep Dawn got her Mamoswine to obey her. Even if this episode was a rehash of the Mamoswine one, which in turn was a rehash of the Charizard one.
    You know episodes that have characters focus on problems aren't "rehashing" or "copies". Mamoswine and Charizard evolved and started acting like ass holes and acting stuck up because they thought they were above their trainers. Excadrill stopped obeying because Iris didn't understand him or his feelings, causing a wrip in there relationship. Same situation, but very different problem.

Blog Entries

Wow, the script for this episode was translated well! I was worried they might have pulled another "Cabernet's-references-to-rotten-wine-corks" on us.
    Playerking likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast