"Hoenn Alone" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Hoenn Alone" Review Thread

Blog Entries

I also liked this episode! ^_^

Actually, I loved it! And I think it was a very good filler episode because of everything that happened in it. But, I'll get to what happened later. First, I have to say that I really loved the scene at the beginning with Ash and Pikachu in the pool! It was good. And yeah, the captain did look like a sailor. Which was really weird....oh yeah, and I heard the misprounciation of Pidgeot's name too. Although, when I heard it, I just figured "Pidget/Pidgit" was a nickname that Officer Jenny gave it. Anyway, it was awful that so many bad things happened to Ash and Pikachu on their way to Hoenn. I mean, first Team Rocket stole Pikachu, then there was the problem with the ship's water tank thing, and then the 'Haunter' problem, and after that was the incident with Team Rocket's electromagnet. So Ash sure was right when he said that Pikachu had a big day! And, that still wasn't everything that happened, cause at the end Pikachu had a fever....I bet Ash didn't expect that. But, at least he got to see a few new Pokemon he'd never seen, which were Wingull, Pelipper, Sharpedo, and Wailmer. Well, we know he saw Wingull and Pelipper, but we don't know if he actually saw Sharpedo or the two Wailmer because they were in the water.

Overall, it was a great episode, so I give it a 10 out of 10!
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 26th October 2003 at 02:53 AM.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

This particular episode isn't a filler - it sets the stage for the next episode via the electrical illness.

If the electrical illness was also resolved - then it would be a filler.

On the other hand - it could be the start of multiple episode fillers...

Kaz

Originally posted by James's Saiyan Stalker
    I think James's hair did that too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it went from purple to lavender, to purply blue, to its current mostly blue color.

What is it with Rockets and fluctuating hair colors?
    It's called Salon Roquét.

:D
    I love bacon more than I love your mom.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Zhen Lin
    This particular episode isn't a filler - it sets the stage for the next episode via the electrical illness.
    Yeah, I know. But, in my post, I was just going with what Haruka May said earlier, that it was a filler. Although, it's really a plot episode, because Pikachu gets a fever in this episode and that carries into the next episode, but I didn't notice that until after I made that post last night. So, I was going to ask about it, but I didn't have enough time to edit it.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's filler all right. Having Satoshi finally arrive in Houen in the last scene of the episode doesn't save the episode from filler status in my book.

And the Pikachu getting sick subplot? It really isn't necessary, now is it? If Pikachu hadn't gotten sick, then it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

For those of you interested, I just finished working on the comparison for this episode, and 4Kids made so many little cuts to it that it isn't even funny. Just about every panning shot or exterior shot of the boat was shortened, and toward the end they started cutting out larger and larger chunks (you don't even get to see the Snap/Todd lookalike during the epilogue). I'm guessing that *maybe* these were all made because of the Duel of Screams stuff, but I won't be sure until Friday's rerun.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Kaz

What's the Duel of Screams stuff? o.O

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's this lame screaming contest where they have little kids compete to see who has the best Halloween scream. During all the commercial breaks, they usually have these little five-ten second segements where a kid or two scream, and then the show goes to commercial.

The really lame part? It's all Yu-Gi-Oh! themed, so all the footage of the contestants are super-imposed onto Yu-Gi-Oh! cards while Yugi comments on how good these kids' screams are.

Kaz

So, in other words, it's *really* classy and not in the slightest bit tacky, yes?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I just checked with today's rerun of the episode, and all the time cuts remained, so I guess it's permanent. Strange. The uncut Japanese episode isn't any longer than any of the other episodes (I don't remember the exact number, but it's right around 20 minutes, which is REALLY short), yet 4Kids still make little snippets here and there to cut out a total of 50 seconds from the episode.

Blog Entries

What stuff do they take out when they shorten the episodes like that?

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know the Japanese episodes, when they come back from commercial, repeat a little of what just happened, so the dub cuts the repeated footage out...

Kaz

Um... most of the time it really doesn't... they repeat the last few seconds but alter the dialogue a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12