"Gotta Catch Ya Later" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Gotta Catch Ya Later" Review Thread

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do the other dubs do that? I think all the dubs are by 4Kids, right?

Kaz

Originally posted by Dogasu
    So you're saying that all the people who posted that they enjoyed the Pokeshippy moments in the episode (which, if you look on the three seperate forums I talked about, was a lot of people) are all Gakishippers?

Isn't that kind of generalization the exact thing you were accusing me of in the first place?
    Not at all, people are allowed to like a Pokéshippy episode.

But to generalise and say all Pokéshippers' fave episode is a Saka one is wrong, and the major group who DO think Saka episodes are the be-all and end-all are the Gakis.

Hence the point. ¬¬
    I love bacon more than I love your mom.

It looks kinda crummy because I had to take photographs of my TV screen.
    A great saying is a bunch of words strung together so that you sound like you know what the heck you're talking about.

Orange Soda Online

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Nice .gif, Orange Soda. Your Kids WB! station puts its logo on BOTH sides of the screen? Man...

Originally posted by Kizaki Tamayo
    Not at all, people are allowed to like a Pokéshippy episode.

But to generalise and say all Pokéshippers' fave episode is a Saka one is wrong, and the major group who DO think Saka episodes are the be-all and end-all are the Gakis.

Hence the point. ¬¬
    Instead of having kittens over my horribly unfair generalizations, you really should just take a look at the original post. I didn't say that the episode was every Pokeshippers' favorite episode--I said that it was many Pokeshippers' favorite episode. And I didn't go in and edit that post either--the original post has said that for as long as it's existed (well, OK--I did have to hit the edit button once because I couldn't get the picture to work, but I didn't change any of the text). "All" and "many" are two very different words.

I find it pretty hilarious that you're getting so upset over this. So what if I say that Pokeshippers like this particularly Pokeshippy episode? Is that condemning them? Does the fact that I made that statement somehow labeling all Pokeshippers as idiotic Gakis who are "kewl and r lik3 OMG AAML R the best i wuffle them!!!!!11!!!" No. It was just a harmless observation, and you completely blew it out of proportion.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Kaz

Dogasu - first of all, you said it was their favourite episode when, quite frankly, *many* Pokéshippers had never even seen it before, and the ones that had had seen it, what, half an hour before you wrote that thread? So you had no basis to make that statement, to be honest.

So yes, it was an unfair generalization, as you seem to think that remote hint of Saka + new episode = OMG POKESHIPPERS WILL LOVE THAT EPISODE!!111.

Which is wholly wrong, and yet more evidence of the way you seem to think of Pokeshippers in general, as shown by your "opinions" when Misty *might* have come back into the show.

As shown by recent behaviour of your *own*, Dogasu [ie, the bitching remarks at those who *dared* to want to have a two-girl, three-guy line-up, etc. and your generally horrible attitude to those who don't like May for a reason that you think is wrong [translation: *any* reason whatsoever, or, you know, just daring to prefer Misty over May]], I don't think this is out of proportion at all, if you generally meant it as an innocent comment, can you blame one for thinking it was a snipe when ever since the Togepi Kingdom episodes were announced on TV-Tokyo, all you did was bitch about how much Misty sucked and May was Queen Of All That Is Holy? So perhaps, then, evidence of the past has suggested that you are the one who blows things out of proportion over other people's "simple observations", [ie, how people prefer Misty over May for x reason, and that you were hypocritical to cry over Misty coming back for 2 episodes as a "one-trick pony" when all through Houen, Brock has not changed throughout Johto], and yet, you cannot handle it when someone else does the same.

Which really is a shame, Dogasu.

But anyway. If you meant it as a general comment, a) check your sources properly, and b) please watch how you word things next time. You may end up offending a Palletshipper and they tend to be much more rabid. And as moderator, shouldn't you be keeping this thread on topic, hmm?

--

OS, I *love* the .gif! and tedisbest, yay, you thought his voice was off too? I thought Brock's was pretty fine, but Gary's was a lot more nasal than it normally is...

Does anyone have an idea of a) the song/music played during the Japanese flashback scene, and b) what scenes were actually different? I fear this silly debate [which was quite fun really - does tend to relieve a lot of college stress] has dragged the topic off topic ^^;

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Kizaki Tomayo, I PM'ed you a response to your post, so please check your Private Message box. I think we can both agree that it'd be better to continue the debate there instead of turning this thread into one angry post after another.

Does anyone have an idea of a) the song/music played during the Japanese flashback scene, and b) what scenes were actually different? I fear this silly debate [which was quite fun really - does tend to relieve a lot of college stress] has dragged the topic off topic ^^;
    a) I don't know the name of the song, but I *HAVE* heard it used in the series before. But since I don't have my tapes here at college, I'll have to wait until I can go home again to check.

b) Well, I was gonna post this on my site, but seeing as how it's down (and I don't have the money for additional bandwidth) and won't be back up until early November, I'll post it here.

Basically, 4Kids took the Japanese flashback, threw it out, and then made their own. Both flashbacks were the same length (so it wasn't a time thing), about 50-some seconds. While the Japanese version used some really dramatic background music, the dub made up a whole new vocal song to put in the scene.

Japanese

*The shot of Misty slapping Ash that was cut out of the American version of the first episode
    *A scene from the Cerulean Gym Battle
    *A shot of the many Pikachu who came out in Episode 002 to help defeat Team Rocket
    *A shot from the "Island of the Giant Pokemon" episode in which the three are running until they look over and see a giant Pikachu
    *Misty suspiciously looking over "Ashley" in the Erika episode
    *Misty and Jessie in their outfits from the Princess Day episode
    *Misty seeing Spinarak and freaking out
    *Togepi waking up for the first time and seeing Misty as its mother
    *The scene where Misty catches Corsola
    *A random shot of Ash, Misty, and Tracey riding on Lapras through the Orange Islands
    *A scene of Misty showing off her Super Lure (from the first Totodile episode?)
    *A scene of everyone rushing over to stop Azurill from crying
    *A shot of Psyduck releasing itself, with a disappointed Misty in the background
    *The scene of Ash and Misty tugging at Totodile's PokeBall
    *A random scene of Poliwrath coming out
    *A new image of Ash, Misty, Brock, and Tracey created specifically for this episode. If my computer would cooperate, I'd make a cap of it, but it's being annoying at the moment.

American

*The shot of Misty fishing Ash out of the water from the first episode
    *A shot of Ash, Misty, and Brock walking through a blizzard in "Snow Way Out"
    *A shot of Ash, Misty, and Brock looking down from a hot air balloon, with Brock holding a Vulpix
    *A scene of Misty grabbing Ash by the shirt and yelling at him
    *Ash, Misty, and Brock holding hands triumphantly during the end of a tournament
    *Ash, Misty, and Brock all dressed up, Las Vegas-style (it's used for the cover of the "Show Time!" VHS)
    *A random shot of Ash, Misty, and Tracey riding on Lapras through the Orange Islands (it's different from the one used in the Japanese version)
    *A shot of Ash and Misty making a strange face
    *The shot of the Ash, Misty, and Brock running through a field with Furret in the foreground (from the third opening theme)
    *The three trainers looking kinda sad at dusktime
    *A shot of Ash helping Misty to the ground. Tracey's there too
    *A shot of Ash and Misty running toward the screen, again from the third opening theme (notice they didn't use the version with Ash, Misty, AND Brock)
    *Misty grabbing Ash by arm again
    *A sad-looking Ash from the second opening theme
    *A split-screen: on the left is a shot of Ash walking toward the sun, taken from the "Boku no BESUTO FURENDO e" ending theme (it's #10, I think), and on the right is a shot of Misty from earlier in the episode (after the battle with the three brothers) reversed to show Misty looking to the left instead of to the right
    *The scene from "Ready Go" (the fifth opening theme) of Ash crying--this was cut from the American version of that theme
    *Misty taking Ash's hand during the Summer Festival
    *Ash & Brock looking at Misty
    *The three running against sun

While the Japanese version seemed to focus more on Misty as a trainer, the American version really played up the Ash/Misty thing. Every scene with Misty in the American version had Ash in it, and 4Kids even went so far as to create a split-screen thing to make the flashback more shippy.

Originally posted by Kizaki Tamayo
    Does anyone have an idea of a) the song/music played during the Japanese flashback scene
    I have no idea what it's called, or even whether it has a name at all. However, I do know what it is and where it came from. Revelation Lugia. The scene where Kasumi rescues Satoshi from the freezing water, and he climbs the stairs to the shrine. For those who have seen the Advanced Generation episodes in Japanese, this is also the same music as is played in the departure scene of Episode 6.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Blog Entries

a) I don't know the name of the song, but I *HAVE* heard it used in the series before. But since I don't have my tapes here at college, I'll have to wait until I can go home again to check.
    Isn't it "Namida Nochi Hare"?

*A split-screen: on the left is a shot of Ash walking toward the sun, taken from the "Boku no BESUTO FURENDO e" ending theme (it's #10, I think)
    Actually it's the "Mewtwo: I Exist Here" ending.

While the Japanese version seemed to focus more on Misty as a trainer, the American version really played up the Ash/Misty thing. Every scene with Misty in the American version had Ash in it, and 4Kids even went so far as to create a split-screen thing to make the flashback more shippy.
    Is anyone surprised?

Originally posted by Miko Flura
    Isn't it "Namida Nochi Hare"?
    *Listens carefully to both the scene from Sayonara... soshite tabidachi and Namida nochi hare*
    No. Though the two pieces have their similarities, they are not the same.

Actually it's the "Mewtwo: I Exist Here" ending.
    The Myuutsuu: Ware wa koko ni ari ending was an extended version of Boku no best friend e. The scene in question was present in the standard version.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Kaz

Originally posted by Miko Flura
    Is anyone surprised?
    After Johto?

Yes, actually, Ket.

Though I didn't actually see it as being so shippy. It just seemed to me that it focused more on her friendships with the two boys rather than her as a trainer, and, in terms of her appearences in the show, was a bit more relevent than Poliwrath randomly coming out, or Azurill. Obviously, 4KIDS played up on it, but she was fundamentally more Ash's friend than Brock's.

I *did* like the shots of Tracey in there though... if any lovely squishy darling can get me a cap of the newly animated screen/clip of the Japanese clip itself, I'll love you forever, and possibly have your children/breed ferrets in your basement.

^^;

One major gripe with the 4KIDS one though - the song. Don't know why but with the possible exception of the one played in Pikachu's Goodbye... the rest just aren't up to par...

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I finally figured out what was wrong with my screen capture thingee, so here ya go. It was only a still shot with no animation:

You can choose the kids' first names if I get to choose their middle names, ok?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Haruka May
    No, it's defeinitely north. The Orange Achipelago is south, and Johto is to the west. Then, essentially, Kanto is the eastern region.
    Which really isn't a very strong point. First off Houen could be *east* of Kanto (because if it has a region to the south of it, and a region to the west of it, then Kanto is occupying the center spot - ie, Orange is as much of an eastern region as Kanto.

Second off, there's no reason why Houen could not be south-west of Kanto (thus south of Johto).

Third off, there's no reason why it couldn't be an island west of Johto. (Ash has to return toward his home anyway, so he's taking the nearest ship at that point).

Fourth off, all pokemon locations are based on the Japanesse map so far - Kanto is the Kanto plains, IE the Tokyo region, Johto is the region west of that, ie the Osaka region (Mt. Silver is the famous Mt. Fuji), and Houen is very definitely the island of Kyushu, which is to the west of Honshu (the main island, on which Kanto and "Johto" are), and slightly to the south.

Fifth off, Ash has to take ship at a southern port.

In reviewing the evidence, I'd say it's pretty likely Houen is, in fact, south, or more accurately south-west. There is no existing evidence to support the notion of it being north of Kanto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Tochter Aus Elysium Flare-Espeon's Avatar
    Looking for a world where every neighbour is a friend

no , I think there's no reason to believe Houen is above Kantho. Based on the map of Japan, I would say it is west of Johto, with an other unknow continent between those two.

However, I believe there was a Japanse CD released (it was discussed at these forums) that had tiny bits of info about Houen's locotion, to say beneath Johto and Kanto. However, that's where the Orange Islands are suposed too be. I guess Houen's location will remain a mystery right now

Back and alive getting over you
    Now i've got it together, I'm stronger then ever
    Back on teh track with a better view
    And I'm getting closer to perfection 'cause of you

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

It could be that Hoenn is in between the Orange archipelago and Kanto - but that is unlikely. The Orange archipelago is far more tropical than Hoenn... But Hoenn feels more tropical than Kanto and Johto.

Or... It could be that Hoenn is far south of the Orange archipelago.

Kaz

...does it really matter? o.O

*huggles Dogasu*

That piccy is adorable! Thank you very much!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast