Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Gotta Catch Ya Later" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Thumbs up "Gotta Catch Ya Later" Review Thread

Japanese Episode 275: "Sayonara... And the Beginning of a Journey"
    American Episode 271: "Gotta Catch Ya Later"

Well, it's almost the end of the series, so it's time to resolve all those loose ends and get ready for Pokémon Advanced. It also happens to be many Pokeshippers' favorite episode.

Post your thoughts about the episode here. Also, please avoid posting spoilers for events that happen in future episodes since this isn't the Anime Spoilers forum.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 21st, 2015

don't know *where* you got the idea that it's Pokéshipper's favourite episode... bloody generaliser... you think we only like the show because of the romance?

Watch "The Wayward Wobbuffet" a few times before you try that again ¬¬
    I love bacon more than I love your mom.

AAML! *does a dance* *busts a move* *throws hands in air and shouts like a crazed Pokeshipper* *does the worm* *grabs the nearest person and swings them around the room* *faints from exhaustion*

Whew! I must say I thoroughly enjoy this episode. I haven't seen a Saturday Morning Pokemon in a long time, but it was a delight to see this one, I'm really glad I caught it. AG is coming up, and that was one of the best things about this epi.

Like I said, I haven't seen a saturday epi for a long time, so this was my fav AAML one that I have seen.

I missed the first few minutes, so I was kinda confused about those soccer guys, but it was hilarious when the one just cut open the net with scissors. One dub thing I didn't like was how James said, "We already won by two goals...do you get it?" The joke was pretty funny before he even said, "Do you get it?

Overall, lots of AAML, and symbolism. I was supposed to be pretending to clean the basement while watching this epi, but I found myself staring transfixed to the TV, especially at the part before the commercial break. I was almost crying myself, except I ran out of tears a long time ago (won't go into personal stuff). It was funny how Ash was saying those personal-like things to himself/Pikachu, and Misty and Brock popped up. It was so cool how he got those gifts from them, IMO, as simple as they were.

And I absolutely loved(!) how he used the silverware (cutlery?) to climb out of the hole! It was funny (I was I could use silverware like that) but also so symbolic and cool how it was the gift from his friends.

The only thing I really didn't like was how Ash copied off of Gary by "starting on a new journey with only Pikachu." THOSE WERE GOOD POKEMON! Oh well. And was it me, or did Brock have a different voice?

Another funny part was the end after the second commercial break, when Ash recieved his new gear. Did Delia send in 100 postcards to get that hat? It's about time Ash got new clothes (though I've known he was going to get them since a while ago). Well...that's all I can think of saying for now.

Adventure. Humor. Romance. Pokémon. I love them all!

It was Columbus instead.

Jellybaby for your brain! Mew2Too's Avatar

Originally posted by Haruka May
    AAML! *does a dance* *busts a move* *throws hands in air and shouts like a crazed Pokeshipper* *does the worm* *grabs the nearest person and swings them around the room* *faints from exhaustion*
    I must admit, I never thought I'd see someone with S/N "Haruka May" getting so psyched about AAML. Ah, what wonderful times we live in!

Well, folks, it's been just about a year since that fateful day Misty's departure was made certain over at SPP. Since then, we've seen amazing new things happen in Pokemon. (Well, only if we've been watching AG, cuz everything in MQ up to the Silver conference has been crap!) I'd be concerned about you guys who want to steer clear of even the smallest spoiler at any chance, but at this point I don't give a damn. So, be prepared for a few very small character-related spoilers concerning May.

Well, now that Misty has officially taken off on the US port of the show, I can't say I'm dreading the thought of May like I did a year ago. Misty was sent off better than Brock and Tracey combined - and especially in the dub. ( Dammit, this makes me proud to be an American again! )

I'm a little happy about May being taken into the main cast. Now that we know that Misty will get her own episodes here and there - hopefully through mainstreamed Hoso episodes here in the US - there's really no competition between Misty and May. They have two totally seperate goals - Misty's is to become the best Water Pokemon trainer at Cerulean Gym. May's goal is to become the best in show at the Hoenn contest scene.

Now that we know we're getting a new sort of character, and not just a Misty rerun or someone totally out of place like Tracey - who I believe was meant to be Oak's assistant, or at least that made an excellent last-minute excuse for his departure from Ash-tachi - I think we can enter Pokemon Advanced in the US easier than we thought we could.

About a year ago, May looked like a Misty clone with only replacement in mind. ( I notice they have slowly and subtly changed May's character a little to make her look less like Misty. Of course, that could just be the fact that I now see them as two totally different individuals, and therefore I'm quicker to notice the difference that might have been there all along. ^^; ) Now, with foreknowledge from trusty old Nihon, we can see May will turn out to be a fresh new character, as was promised by Yuyama-san nearly a year ago.

Oh, and, for those who have been living under a spoiler-proof rock for about a year, I'll also say that a little Taillow told me that this might now be the last time we ever see Misty with Ash-tachi again.

I think those of us who've been following the Japanese version of AG will be pleasantly surprised at how good the dubbers do with the series. (I think "Gotta Catch Ya Later!" has taught us not to underestimate Haigney and Grossfeld completely.) For those who have never seen the series at all - maybe not even the sneak peak way back when - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good a show Advanced truly is.

So, here's a toast to the beginning of an "Advanced" generation.
    What kind of Pokemon am I?

*Joins in with the toast.*

I think we can all say we're ready for AG to begin. It's a total wave of fresh air. A site to behold I'd say.

Originally posted by Mew2Too
    I must admit, I never thought I'd see someone with S/N "Haruka May" getting so psyched about AAML. Ah, what wonderful times we live in!
    Oh, lol. I'm not sure if you know, but Haruka May is only my masquerade name. But as you said before, Kasumi and Haruka are two TOTALLY different charatcers, and I personally support Haruka staying single.

Originally posted by Mew2Too
    Oh, and, for those who have been living under a spoiler-proof rock for about a year, I'll also say that a little Taillow told me that this might now be the last time we ever see Misty with Ash-tachi again.
    Uh...I don't think this is too spoiler-y, but Misty has a new outfit for AG. Do you think they would make parts of episodes away from the main plot when she's just at her gym, having nothing to do with Ash? I'm sure they'll meet again, even if it's just for a short time, at some point.

It was Columbus instead.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah yes, I knew he would see Ho-Oh today...

He has to see it in Houen. He just has to.

Anyway, I have to admit, I'm neutral to the Shippings presented in the ep, and even *I* saw them.

And Delia has redone the living room AGAIN. We saw it, what, five episodes ago? And it looked different even *THEN*. Either she has less of a life than we thought, or the animators do.

And I mentioned her 'hands-off' approach to parenting a few weeks ago. Well today it's Oak's turn for hands-off grandparenting. His grandson darts out the door, Oak says 'I don't think we'll see him for a while' or something to that effect, and he's SMILING about it. Yes I know it's the start of a new journey and all that, but still, you could have at least found out where he was going...

And what was the deal with the Invincible Pokémon Brothers? And if JJ&M hired them, then why did they seem not to know them when they were talking amongst themselves?

During that whole part, I kept picturing Giovanni driving past and just shaking his head, repeating "think of the insurance money" over and over.

And wow...Misty's sisters are really rude, aren't they? I know I wouldn't go back for that if they dumped something like that on me. I mean my GOD.

Exclamation

Brock's voice sounded rather odd in this episode... not bad or anything, but distinctly different.

And... that song caught me off guard. I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming, but all the same, I was taken back a ways... *wonders if they're going to try and pull something like it in AG6, sincerely hopes not*
    ~*GS on Broadway!*~
    EVITA Quote of the Week:

"The actress hasn't learned the lines you'd like to hear
    She won't join your clubs, she won't dance in your halls
    She won't help the hungry once a month at your tombolas
    She'll simply take control... as you disappear"

- Eva to the Aristrocracy, The Actress Hasn't Learned (The Lines You'd Like to Hear)

One of the best episodes ever.

*sniff* so sad, and yet so beautiful. :) I admit, I'm much a Pokeshipper. :) I was pretty amazed that they actually made a new song for this episode! I mean, they didn't make a new song for the 5th movie! It was great having that flashback scene (not to mention, I think it's just a bit scary how that was just what the Pokeshippers where saying we wanted, then it happened ^_^) And the thing with Ash getting out of TR's trap (hey, this is the first time in quite a while that TR has seemed really to be a threat to Ash!) using the gifts from Misty and Brock was just wonderful and beautiful and symbolic. :) This episode is definately a classic, and I loved it!

AG has begun! ^_^
    Last edited by YumeHeart; 18th October 2003 at 03:58 PM.
    Yume <3 Heart
    Pokémon forever!

Proud Member of Pokémaniacs Anonymous
    Because growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional.

SOOOOONANSU!!

I was sooooooo cool, and sooooo sad :(. I loved all the shippyness, especially the cool song and flashback. The battle animations in this episode were really good. I loved the combined attack against Tr, and Pikachu's thunderbolt later on. It was cool to see Ho-oh again and have the final scene with Gary. I kind of feel TR's second appearance was unecissary but it was cool how Ash utilized Misty and Brock's gifts. over-all it was a enjoyable bittersweet episode. However I felt there were a couple of flaws. Mostly, like alot of the silver conference, the episode felt a little rushed. I wish they could have devoted the whole episode to Misty leaving and not just half the episode. The inclusion of the three brothers was kind of pointless and didn't really add anything. I think it would have been better to give Misty more time by herself to contimplate things and then run into TR or something. I wish the scene with Gary had been longer. And (small spoiler for those who care)

the fact that the writers drag Brock back into the show 5 episodes later kind of cheapins the emotional impact of this episode. I wish that Brock had stayed at his gym too, or gone off on his own journey (when is he ever going to do anything to advance his own goals?? DOES he have goals anymore?) He hasn't really contributed anything different to AG than he did in Johto. A team of just Ash, Haruka, and Masato may have been better.

overall I give it 4 stars,. it was really cool, but a little rushed.

I watched the episode in Japanese today and was kind of disapointed to see that the english version created a totally new flashback sequence. They probably did it to make the episode more shippy (originally the flashback sequnce was just a bunch of generic Misty scenes, instead of Ash/Misty scenes) but they also could have cut it because A) the original flashback had the Misty slaps Ash scene in it, or B) for time. the original sequnce was twice as long as the dub one. I think the american flashback sequnce is better though.

for anyone interested, here are the lyrics to the short new AAML song that plays in the english version:

"Goodbye, funny how thats such a hard thing to say. Now its time to let go but...never thought i'd feel this way.
    Promised not to be sad but...we both knew I was lying.
    Gotta fight back the tears cause can't let you see me crying
    Your more than just my best friend
    What makes me misty most of all, in our final curtain call, is knowing that I won't see you again."

the last line is cheesy, but its still a really cool, sad song. *sniff* *glare* They BETTER put this song on the next CD (they better make a next CD!!!) or I'll kill them!!
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Rocketshipper
    A) the original flashback had the Misty slaps Ash scene in it,
    Remind me again, why did they cut that in the first place? She's slapped him and Brock and I'm certain a few others many other times and they didn't cut it (heck, they left in when she kicked Brock in the FACE...)

Eh, probably way back at the beginning (that was in the first episode, right?) 4Kids was just ultra-cautious. Obviously they don't have a problem with that sort of thing now. I think they just re-did the flashback to make it Pokeshippy, and because the Japanese one was too long.

Oh yes, and I second Rocketshipper's threat about them putting the song on the next CD! ^_^ Well, it does kinda seem like there will be one... they made that new song and they haven't released a CD in two years.
    Last edited by YumeHeart; 18th October 2003 at 07:09 PM.
    Yume <3 Heart
    Pokémon forever!

Proud Member of Pokémaniacs Anonymous
    Because growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Can't wait to see this episode! Sounds awesome. As far as leaving in slaps and stuff goes, seems that the first season was more liberal for that. I just reviewed Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, and Brock's fist came down on Misty's head twice in that episode.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

Blog Entries

Something else occured to me about this ep...

Delia tells Ash that the ferry to Houen will leave from Seafoam. Isn't Houen *north* of Kanto? Or am I seriously mixed up?

Hoenn feels more equitorial, and southernly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast