Like Tree18Likes

Thread: "Gotta Catch A Roggenrola!" Review Thread

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default "Gotta Catch A Roggenrola!" Review Thread

BW034 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ash and friends are enjoying a picnic when they are menaced by an unusually eratic Roggenrola with a strange device afixed to its back. What does this have to do with the local Pokemon Center recently losing its water supply? And how are Team Rocket connected?

(To dicuss this episode in an environment free of all spoilers from episodes which have aired in Japan, please check out the discussion thread in the Spoiler-Free Zone.)
    Last edited by garrison-san; 24th September 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Gotta Catch A Roggenrola!" Review Thread

Rahgenolla? I've been pronouncing it rohgenrolla. Tough? No, it just knows how to dodge. Wait...Sturdy is going to make pokes unable to faint in one hit in the anime, too? Well, that won't help it much other than saving it from deus ex machinas. I don't have much else to say.
    Step into the Fairy circle

IMO this episode was boring, both the original and dub... but Roggenrola had a good voice xD

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

That voice is going to get on my nerves...
    djulienr likes this.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After many highly productive episodes of non-appearance, I guess Team Rocket's had their Awesome Villain License renewed, and I am happy.

This particular episode has the TRio acting possibly more dangerously and viciously than they had been even in the pre-Castelia episodes, and the writers and animators seemed to deliberately accentuate this.

The energy beam weapon they build that is powered by enslaved Roggenrola and their wanton use of it against the protagonists, Pokémon and human alike, nearly puts the TRio in Hunter J style territory. Better yet, the reference to the machine being designed by Dr. Zaeger (SP?) once again ties back to the notion that Team Rocket is actively trying to take control of Unova by force and that Jessie and James are a key part of this, a notion that's sort of fallen by the wayside since the Meteorite arc fizzled in Castelia City.

Also, the NON-STOCK FOOTAGE Motto sequence helped a lot as well.

Learning this episode would be about Roggenrola, I figured this would be an uninspired "help the Pokémon of the day" episode akin to the Cottonee episode which fell back on nearly EVERY "help a Pokémon of the day" convention to have been written previously, and which featured a totally negligible Team Rocket appearance which served as pure time filler and had Jessie, James, and Meowth resorting to flat out Sinnoh style antics.

This is how to do an episode about the protags encountering a new species of Pokémon that revolves around the new creature's abilities and special attributes without making it a fill-in-the-blanks "Help the Pokémon" filler episode that could have just as easily have been about any other Pokémon at any other point in the series.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, making Team Rocket an OCCASIONAL and unexpected test of the protag's skill (or having them in the background advancing a LARGER threat to the protags) and not a daily, easily dealt with nuisance so that it's actually a big deal when they do appear on screen is probably the best thing to happen to the new series, as it basically makes time for every other improvement (like the recent focus on trainers literally TRAINING their Pokémon aside from merely doing practice battling) possible.
    Last edited by SuperTrainStationH; 24th September 2011 at 08:53 AM.

I gotta admit, Excadrill popping out with his awesome pose, with lightning shooting out of him, only to be told to dig a hole, was pretty funny.

But I thought it was a good episode. Sure, it has it's problems, but sometimes all you need is a few decent battles, nice animation, and a giant doom weapon for a reasonable good time.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I liked the fact that Tepig was shamelessly whored out. ^^_

Adn Roggenrola's voice is....Well, it is.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Roggenrola's voice made me LOL!
    I guess it's kinda cute though.

I only watched this from half way in, and the plot of the episode was so dry I couldn't really pay attention. But I'm glad Tepig got a battle.

Blog Entries

I liked the episode. But did anyone else notice how "phone it in" Mr. Garrison sounded?

And no, not THAT Mr. Garrison...

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Purim View Post
    I liked the episode. But did anyone else notice how "phone it in" Mr. Garrison sounded?

And no, not THAT Mr. Garrison...
    Seriously? They named Tuttle Mr. Garrison? Wow, that's kind of distracting. :p

Blog Entries

I kind of liked the music which was used during the Team Rocket's motto! I seems like they're the heroes. But, while I enjoyed the music used during the motto, I hope they don't start changing it, this may have worked out perfectly this time, we know how TPCi works and I don't want them to ruin mottos.

And, again, the lines of the motto sounded very weird (due to some pauses by the voice actors) because of how bad the motto was translated. If only they had done the "Future! (...)" and "Universe! (...)". TWO SENTENCES are supposed to exist where there is only one in the dub!

I enjoyed Roggenrola's voice. I thought that Roggenrola's Japanese voice was very similar to Meowth's voice (so much that in that motto scene I had no idea if it was Roggenrola crying or Meowth speaking)
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

Quote Originally Posted by PTOldMan View Post
    And, again, the lines of the motto sounded very weird (due to some pauses by the voice actors) because of how bad the motto was translated. If only they had done the "Future! (...)" and "Universe! (...)". TWO SENTENCES are supposed to exist where there is only one in the dub!
    But if you remember, James paused further into his line than Jessie did. There were too many lip flaps before his pause for him to only say the word "Universe."
    Future!
    Universe!

Blog Entries

I kinda like Rogenrolla's voice but this episode is absolutley BORING and I'm kinda mad that they had Oshawott OHKO himself by colliding with the table.
    Torterra Trainer likes this.
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Rocket View Post
    But if you remember, James paused further into his line than Jessie did. There were too many lip flaps before his pause for him to only say the word "Universe."
    You know, this thread made me realize for the first time why they write in "stall lines" in the beginning of Jessie and James lines in the dub motto, such as "We bring..... the blinding white light of evil into your future!", becuase of the way the restructured the motto itself in the translation.

Really the only time in the dub they get the chance to deliver the motto without such writing conventions to accommodate the lip flapping is the very first time they deliver the motto in "Enter Iris and Axew", all the other times they have to add stuff to justify the pauses. Its a shame really because I actually like the way they translated the motto itself, and the one time they can deliver it flawlessly without causing technical constraints with the animation is the very first time.

Is it wrong that I absolutley LOVED Roggenrola's voice. It was so cute and perky. Something you wouldn't expect from a walking rock. I REALLY hope it evolves into a Gigalith. I wonder how they would do the evolution-by-trade thing in the anime, and it still ends up being Ash's pokemon. I guess we'll have to see in the future.

It really was refreshing that now Excadrill is a usefull addition to the gang's pokemon. Iris' pose was cool IMO.

I laughed when Oshawott KO'd itself on the table. It FINALLY got the move down, and the next time it uses it it hits a table and faints....Oh Oshawott you
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast