"Flint Sparks the Fire" Review Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Flint Sparks the Fire" Review Thread

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Flint Sparks the Fire" Review Thread

This episode was built on a premise established in the Diamond and Pearl games; Elite 4 Flint asking the player character if he can cheer up Volkner, who is bored with weakling challengers to defeat.

The anime takes it up a notch by having Ash battle Flint, that same member of the Elite 4, in an attempt for Ash's "spark" to ignite Volkner so he can finally see battles like he used to.

Ash's performance in the battle, against an Elite 4 member, was almost a completely sweep. Pikachu was the only pokemon that was able to stand its ground for more than a minute against Flint's Infernape. The purpose being? Ash and Pikachu fighting against their opponent, never giving up and still fired up, being similar to Volkner's situation when he fought a pokemon poacher as a kid.

The dub tackled this episode head-on. I see no big errors in terms of the screenplay. I would have been glad that they retained more of the music, but at least they kept three important themes.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really liked it! But depressed Volkner made even me sad...
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Charizard Lover Extreme charizardman's Avatar

I liked it, Lol when the badges came out in the box, at Volkner at bartender. at end!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

A good episode. The episode was essentially a remake of the events in DPPt, but better. 9/10.

The production of this episode was super awesome.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blog Entries

I like how they went about Volkner's personality. It seemed alot like that of his in the games. I like it when the anime tries to follow the games closely. Anyway, I still find James' obsession with bottle caps amusing. The whole "they stole my cap, so I'm taking over the city" theme was odd, but thats the Rockets' sense of humor.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series.
    I love the comparsions and the animation.
    Every thing about it was great ^^
    I give it a 5/5. Never get bored of watching it.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar

This episode was freakin' cool! Volkner was depressing though. I expected him to fall asleep during Ash's battle with Flint. All in all, I'd definitely watch this again.

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    It seemed alot like that of his in the games.
    It seemed completely different to me. While Volkner was unenthusiastic he wasn't nearly as depressed and mopey as his anime counterpart..But his hair is bright blond, not sandy.

I kinda found this episode odd. There was something off about Volkner in general, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

BRING BACK DEXTER!!!!

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The general premise of the episode is still the same as in the games. Volkner, who has remained undefeated at that point, loses his interest in battling weak trainers and decides to not hold any more challengers. Flint asks Ash to cheer Volkner up so he can get his battle.
    However, in the games, Volkner had a desire to battle the Elite 4 and that if he defeats the player character, he will start to challenge them. In the anime, Volkner does not display an immediate goal to battle the Elite 4. If that is what you meant.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Volkner was certainly more complacent to battle the player in the games. It's like, "Found you!" and "Okay, we'll fight. But if you don't do anything for me, I'mma gonna go after the E4."

Here, it's just plain and simple, "Don't wanna. M'having a falling out with Flint. *digs heels into the ground*"
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

OK, guys before you start reading my review, I've go to warn you: Please prepare for some angry ranting from my part, because I'm REALLY pissed off! (possible typos are the result of me being so angry)

So, let's begin with the positive aspects, the Flint/ Volkner conflict:
    After watching the first part of today's episode I was overjoyed and excited about a GREAT plot. Volkner's voice fitted just perfectly for someone who's lost all his belief in the meaning of life.
    Also, I liked that motif of losing all your interest in the world and becoming depressed instead. The way Volkner was portrayed in the first 10 minutes was incredibly awesome and what's even better, the whole plot was extremely mature and profound. THAT'S what Pokemon should always be like! That's what I want to see when I'm demanding a more mature Pokemon Anime. Do you now get what I've always wanted to say? Remember that plot when we argue again about the question how mature an episode was in another review thread, will you?

Definitely my favorite scene was this:
    Volkner (looking drunk and depressed alike): "If you want to punch me, do it"
    Flint: "It's not even worth the time it takes to do it"
    EPIC!!! Have we ever had a more exciting or a more mature scene than this one? (except for Cynthia's episodes, of course)

OK, these were the positive aspects. I shall now switch into "ranting mode" (but this time you'll see that it's totally justified):

Everything was so promising and almost perfect until the catastrophe started, namely the battle. Writers, what was going on in your crazy minds when you were writing this??

The first two rounds, Infernape vs. Buizel and Infernape vs. Infernape went as planned and as you would expect it with Flint dominating the battle completely.
    But then the catastrophe got under way: Here we have probably an Elite Four member's most powerful Pokemon which knocked out two of Ash's strongest (!) Pokemon with just one(!) move, there we have Pikachu which we've already witnessed going down against much much weaker opponents and less powerful attacks in a much shorter time.
    And now, you damn writers, don't tell that it actually needs 2(!) Close Combat(!) attacks and, believe it or not, three times Flare Blitz(!!!), let alone all of Infernape's other powerful attacks, to take down said Pikachu who lost against a simple Onix when fighting in the Oreburgh gym against Roark for example.

No, NO, NOOO! This was once again twisted logic at its best! I hate you writers, I'M CURSING you for messing up this battle which could have been epic otherwise!

An Elite Four member is supposed to be almost perfect both as a person and as a trainer (I said "almost" because there is only one person who is perfect, Cynthia) and during the first two rounds of the battle, Flint already proved that he rightly deserves his title.
    So, I'm asking you, why in the world do the writers have the cheek to screw up the last part by turning Pikachu into an almost invincible, totally and ridiculously overpowered fighting machine that's even more DEM-like than back then against Regice???!!!

I'll tell you why: For the sake of the plot so that they have a reason for Volkner to change his attitude and to be transformed inwardly.
    The idea was good, no doubt about it, but the way it was put into practice was terrible and pathetic!! What's the point of Volkner's change of attitude if all the writers can come up with is a lame, uncreative and above all illogical trick (an overpowered Pikachu)!?!? If Flint's Infernape can knock out Buizel and Ash's Infernape with just one move, why in the world are we expected to believe that Pikachu can't be defeated with two attacks at the most? Don't we all know that although being able to attack hard, Pikachu is pretty bad at taking much damage??!!
    I'm lacking the words to express my anger...all I can do is quoting Paul: "Pathetic!"

And yes, I can already imagine what you are going to respond:

-Piplup is going to respond that I should enjoy Pokemon as it is regardless of all those logical mistakes ( No, I won't. I'm sick and tired of having to see how the writers are constantly messing up the series I love most. If I enjoyed that, I would be hypocritical)
    -dman_dustin is going to try to explain the logic behind that fight ( Sorry, buddy, I really appreciate your posts, but I guess this time you won't convince me, as there will simply be no reasonable explanation)
    - Don and Grave-E are gong to tell me how ridiculous it is to take Pokemon seriously in the first place ( I couldn't care less...)
    - And finally Dogasu is going to say that it's the same Pikachu that took down Regice ( Yes, but that's no real explanation either, because said battle was cheap as well. The only question is which battle was worse.)

OK, don't get me wrong I really don't want to insult anybody personally. I just want to express my deep anger over that messed up episode which started so great and promising.
    You see, writing and ranting about it somehow helps me to cool down and to come to terms with that catastrophic outcome!

Thanks for listening to me. I'm feeling a teensy bit better now.
    No grade for today's episode, however.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

*rae* Y'realize that whole battle was less Flint showing us he's awesome (which he is) and more about reminding Volkner that there is more to battling than pounding confident and not so confident weak-hearted challengers into the dust, right? That it's more of what's in your heart than on your team.

No shit it was for the plot. Volkner has a Raichu; Ash has a Pikachu. They were not going to pass up any chance to make the parallels when Ash is all about caring for his team and the fight, and Volkner doesn't /want to fight/ anymore. A swift punch to memory lane: it'll do it every time.

And since it ties in VERY WELL with the proprietor (who is also so damn awesome, and makes its own parallels to the battle at hand with the battle they had years ago), I think you're missing the bigger picture.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

I agree with Queen Cynthia. It seemed like Volkner just went in to temptation to get out of his gloom way too easy. It needed better explanation. For a plot episode, it needed more work.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast