REVIEW: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread

This episode was my first exposure to Bel's dub voice, and...ugh. She sounds way, way too old and doesn't have even a fraction of the energy of the original voice.

Also, the Team Rocket plan in this episode didn't make any sense to me. Why didn't the trio just...catch all those pokemon themselves? I mean, they're already providing the fishing rods and the PokeBalls, so the only part the contestants play in this scheme of theirs is to fish out the pokemon they're too lazy to catch themselves. It doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou
    Oh thank goodness! They changed the dialogue so that Ash isn't surprised to see Yamask.
    He wasn't surprised to see it in the Japanese version, either. The dub changed nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustox
    Did anyone think the episode title was a little higher than usual?
    Yeah, it was. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    The dub did a great job changing the dialogue to cover up how old this episode is.
    I didn't notice any changes to help cover things up. What are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden
    I find it interesting that this ep was postponed at all. I wonder if the Tsunami hit America, and Pokemon was a American fanchise if it would have been postponed?
    It most likely would have. A similar thing happened recently with the Seth McFarlane shows on Fox, where a series of real-world tornadoes caused the network to postpone hurricane-themed episodes of Family Guy, American Dad!, and The Cleveland Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    ...so what DID the dub do to "improve the cover-up"?
    Not a thing. I have no idea what some of the posters in this thread are talking about.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

pseudo-tentacle rape was still the best part of this episode.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
    pseudo-tentacle rape was still the best part of this episode.
    Bianca seems to be enjoying herself there.

I don't get why they can't just slot these episodes in their intended place when doing the dub, if they get the episodes as early as has been suggested, surely they could have just left it in the right spot, the episode is basically stand alone as it is, so why not air it where it should have gone rather than do the same delay as in Japan?

One of my favourite scenes was James going rule-enforcer after Iris picked up the Basculin (which was funny in itself seeing a pokemon caught by hand), it is about as close to the bottle cap collecting James of the past and is a good break from his seriousness in the rest of the episode/BW. Team Rocket otherwise suck in this episode, there's a huge lack of logic in their plan. For one, why not just jet pack away while holding the bags? Considering Iris can jump in the water and pick up a Basculin, it shouldn't have been difficult for TR to just do some catching themselves, especially after paying for actual pokeballs.

If TR worked their way under cover as helpers in a real competition it would have at least had some slight reason to go to the effort of organising all those rods. Why not just set it all up, charge an entrance fee and keep all but the winning pokemon, say you'll release the others (like in other fishing competitions) and get away without raising suspicion?

I did like the reference to the prize being an 'old rod' painted gold, it sounded like they were deliberately referencing the different types of rods in the (non-BW) games, something other fishing episodes haven't really done.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

TPCI just dubs the episodes as they get them. If they're not given this particular episode until after the Archen episode, then they can't really dub it until then, now can they?

It's not their job to "fix" the Japanese version. 4Kids didn't back in the Kanto days.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    TPCI just dubs the episodes as they get them. If they're not given this particular episode until after the Archen episode, then they can't really dub it until then, now can they?
    Plus, if this episode was dubbed in the intended episode order, the dubbed version would air just three weeks after the original aired.

It's not their job to "fix" the Japanese version. 4Kids didn't back in the Kanto days.
    They still aired some of the episodes in different orders- they were still doing in their last season, as the Pacifidlog episodes were aired later than normal for no apparent reason in America.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

That was a Kids' WB!'s fault, not 4Kids'.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Aren't episodes like Snow Way Out usually aired in the correct chronological order when the series are played again? I can't see a reason not to move this episode back to the right place in either overseas markets or reairings - even domestically in Japan. Perhaps it would have been difficult for TCPi to dub it in time for its original intended spot, but that's not a reason to leave an episode that's obviously out of order and has an odd impact on continuity in its current place just because that's how it aired first.

Even if just to solve the problem of nearly every site having a different episode number for BW episodes that doesn't seem likely to fix itself any time soon.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

No, "Holiday Hi-Jynx" and "Snow Way Out" always air in the later half of Kanto. They've never been moved back to after the Ditto episode.

Likewise, "The Purr-fect Hero" always airs after "Princess vs. Princess" even though there was originally meant to be a few episodes separating the two.

And this episode airing when it does doesn't have any impact on the show's continuity, nor does it cause any problems.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

The animators bothered to change the Pokemon centers?

Venipede episode:

Fishing competition episode:

Props to them.

ONLY THE ROAD IS THE SAME. Why bother changing the Pokemon Center if you aren't going to bother changing anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    No, "Holiday Hi-Jynx" and "Snow Way Out" always air in the later half of Kanto. They've never been moved back to after the Ditto episode.

Likewise, "The Purr-fect Hero" always airs after "Princess vs. Princess" even though there was originally meant to be a few episodes separating the two.
    Pokemon Encore shifted all the reordered Kanto episodes back to their originally intended slots.
    That wasn't a rerun, though, but old Pocket Monsters episodes repackaged and presented as a "new show", so they were free to do what they wanted.
    So.

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    ONLY THE ROAD IS THE SAME. Why bother changing the Pokemon Center if you aren't going to bother changing anything else?
    Well, originally they were in the same city as in the Venipede episode...

y team

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Well yeah, but they could have at least changed the roads. It still felt like Castelia city so the animators did a bad job trying to change it to make it feel like somewhere different. Changing the Pokemon Center wasn't enough, though I can't blame them since it must have been hard to make it look different. At least they tried.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Well yeah, but they could have at least changed the roads. It still felt like Castelia city so the animators did a bad job trying to change it to make it feel like somewhere different. Changing the Pokemon Center wasn't enough, though I can't blame them since it must have been hard to make it look different. At least they tried.
    Seeing how Huin City is big and the scene with the Pokemon Center is brief and unimportant its better to let it slide.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's also entirely possible that a city as large as Castelia City has more than one Pokemon Center. For all we know, the building we see at the beginning of the episode was there in the pre-3/11 version of this episode as well.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB2448 View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn't the color or length of Hilbert's hair. Besides, I don't think he'd have a shoulder bag on him.
    And look at the man on the bottom right corner: IT'S NORMAN! :P

Also, what's with those hearts?

Last edited by martianmister; 16th October 2011 at 11:02 AM.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast