REVIEW: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread

Default Re: "A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    So you think that it's a complete coincidence that the animators just happened to draw someone with the same clothes, body, height and hair(the hair can be properly seen in the episode, not the picture) without Hilbert's design crossing their minds? I doubt that they scribbled the guy randomly without any thought of Hilbert's design clothes. I mean come on, THE BACK IS EXACTLY THE SAME(except for the brown colour of the pants instead of the normal black).
    I just had a closer look and the back of the hat is a grey, light blue colour, his hair is blueish, his pants are brown and his bag is white. It isn't him. Black/Hilbert did not appear in this episode.

I loved Cilan in this episode, though Frillish was a bit random. And I would've liked Cilan with Basculin, oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Only Cilan can make holding a fishing rod look badass.
    This is Cilan's Stunfisk, he laughs at you.

Did anyone think the episode title was a little higher than usual? Also, why did Ash scan Yamask with his Pokedex after it has been appearing for over 10 episodes?
    Last edited by Dustox; 15th October 2011 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

The dub did a great job changing the dialogue to cover up how old this episode is. The jet pack part and dexing Yamask in general still come off as odd, but it wasn't as blatantly obvious as the Japanese version made it.

As for the episode itself, it was a lot of fun. Cilan was awesome, as usual. It was also nice seeing the Rockets again. And Frillish is just plain awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustox View Post
    Also, why did Ash scan Yamask with his Pokedex after it has been appearing for over 10 episodes?
    Because this episode was supposed to air right after the last gym.

I find it interesting that this ep was postponed at all. I wonder if the Tsunami hit America, and Pokemon was a American fanchise if it would have been postponed?

Anyway, a solid ep. I liked Cilan's characterization as a fisherman. I liked when Iris wading into the water to just grab a Basculine. {Someone clearly wasn't paying attention to what Ash's Pokedex said on the fish...} Bianca was sweet, and Ash was funny.

By the way writers, if this ep is any indication, WE WANT MOAR PANSAGE!

Y U NO GIVE IT TO US?

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

It was a pretty good episode, as well as being a confusing one.

Let me start with the confusing part. Cilan's map shows that they are not even close to the desert to Nimbasa, one they've been traveling on for eternity. Is this in Castelia?

Cilan was great in this episode. He was funny, as always.

I loved to see Bianca come back. She is just really interesting.

Iris was also great. I love her technique for fishing.

I did see the Hilbert cameo. It looks an awful lot like him.

Like always, Ash & co still didn't recognize the TRio.

I agree that the Frillish was pretty random. I seriously wanted Cilan to have Basculin.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

NY Islander & Ash Fangirl Islander Princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I remember people dreading the possibility of the return of the Misty lure in this episode. Thank goodness for BW's lack of past references!

The Cilan lure was awesome. Now that is a fishermen.
    Why would you even bring that up? Honestly, what does that have to with anything?

I loved this episode. Cilan was the highlight for me (his mannerisms and facial expressions made the episode!) I love how everyone was so enamored by his little fishing lessons (except for Iris, of course :P)

I still love Ash, not gonna lie. I find him pretty damn funny. The scene after Bianca pushed him into the water made me laugh so hard. Because honestly, who just strips down into their underwear in the middle of a sidewalk to dry their clothes off?? Couldn't go inside to do that Ash? The part where Biance caught Ash by his hood was also funny.

Good episode. I always like the funnier ones best :P
    Dogasu and martianmister like this.
    "I take it very personally when people criticize my game. I want to shove it right back down their throats."
    --Matt Martin

MY FANFICS: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2086119/nyislandersgirl

I Support Pokeshipping <3

I always kept thinking, when's Bianca gonna catch that Frillish, but it never happened. This episode was funny in parts, like when Ash built a fire right in the middle of the sidewalk. Ok, why was it when the TRio and Ash and co. were battling Team Rocket never called an attack/dodge out at all in the time that Ash and Cilan were calling out Bullet Seed and Thunderbolt, it was like let's just sit hear and wait until Ash and Cilan call a move that will hit us and ultimately cause Team Rocket to lose.
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was a decent episode, nothing too special. Again, fishing episodes are a dime a dozen in this anime, and although we do have a new cast of characters for Ash to interact with, it doesn't make this episode any different from previous ones.

Again, it was odd that the writer of this episode treated Yamask very differently here. Other than Ash using his Pokedex to scan the Yamask, this is so far the first and only episode where Yamask uses its mask as a shield to defend against attacks as well as it using Haze attack.

Poor Yamask, your Haze would have been a lot more useful in "past" episodes (looking back at the Druddigon and Audino episodes). Such a shame that the writers have to downplay TRio's current cast of pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Playerking View Post
    And I would've liked Cilan with Basculin, oh well.
    How on earth would have Cilan been able to fight with the Basculin on land? At least Stunfisk is shown to be able to fight on land in the anime, but this Basculin was simply flopping around.
    Dogasu likes this.

PDL

I'd be more dissapointed that someone didn't catch that Frillish. That thing is cute, and it would make a great ghost type for the hero's side. Basculin is kinda dull.

Also, kudos to the dub writers for the dialogue.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Serperior99 View Post
    Let me start with the confusing part. Cilan's map shows that they are not even close to the desert to Nimbasa, one they've been traveling on for eternity. Is this in Castelia?.
    Yep. Or at least it was when they animated that part.

...so what DID the dub do to "improve the cover-up"?
    So.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well. That pink Frillish sure was fun in the most pseudo-tentacle hentai monster in a kids' show way possible. I would've liked for Ash (or Bianca) to catch it. If Ash caught it, he'd have another gender counterpart with Trip. :P Plus I'd just like to see Ash with a cutesy pink Pokemon. Oh wells.

So I take it this is a running gag, when Cilan goes into expressive, wonderful detail about the episode's plot, that Iris' only contribution is that Cilan is being annoying. Jesus Christ, that's going to be annoying as shit to go through every episode. Iris, why are you with these people again? Seeing her break the rules was mildly amusing, but I would've preferred that Bianca casted her rod right into the huge target that is Iris' hair. Seriously, she was in range, it would've been funny as hell because Iris' hair is like the only consistently fun aspect of her character, but instead no, let's snag Ash's hoodie because launching him into water at the beginning of the episode wasn't quite enough to fuck around with him.

Oh well. I forgot Bianca was in this episode, so it was nice to have her present, and Cilan-focused episodes are usually guaranteed to be enjoyable anyway. I'll sympathize with Bianca about not understanding one goddamn word he said, though.

Y'know, Cilan sounded sort of unsure or blase when he replied how close they were to Nimbasa City. As if he were saying "Yeah, we're as close to Nimbasa City as we were seven episodes ago. We're TOTALLY getting close." Ahh, only if.
    martianmister likes this.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Giant Slice of Pecan Pie JB2448's Avatar
    Follow JB2448 On Twitter Add JB2448 on Google+
    Follow JB2448 on Tumblr Visit JB2448's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    HILBERT CAMEO

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn't the color or length of Hilbert's hair. Besides, I don't think he'd have a shoulder bag on him.
    Last edited by Aestivate; 15th October 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    martianmister likes this.
    Do a barrel roll!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Y'know, Cilan sounded sort of unsure or blase when he replied how close they were to Nimbasa City. As if he were saying "Yeah, we're as close to Nimbasa City as we were seven episodes ago. We're TOTALLY getting close." Ahh, only if.
    The original dialogue for this episode before the retcon clearly had Ash asking where Nimbasa City was and Cilan answering.

I loved Cilian's enthusiasm. Somehow Bianca in the begining reminded me of Barry when she was running with her arms out blindly. I think it would of been cool if instead of pokeballs with little fish pictures if TR actualy gave out lure balls or net balls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB2448 View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn't the color or length of Hilbert's hair. Besides, I don't think he'd have a shoulder bag on him.
    Forget about that. Isn't the guy on the bottom left corner (with the purple cap) a recycled character? Remember seeing someone like him in @Dogasu's site.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast