REVIEW: "Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: "Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!" Review Thread

For those who solely watch the dub, you may be interested in: An upcoming area to discuss the Anime without spoilers/info from Japan.

BW32 - Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!

With Trip's observation of Oshawott not opening its eyes to see whenever it uses Aqua Jet still on his mind, Ash decides to take the Sea Otter Pokémon to a nearby lake to practice opening its eyes under water while the rest of the group's Pokémon play together. Having wandered off from the others, Scraggy encounters a group of Foongus and used Headbutt on them! With the rest of the group scurrying over to find out what happened, all of them get caught up on the Foongus' PoisonPowder! Will Oshawott be able to find the necessary herb to heal them which is found only on the lakebed, despite being unable to see underwater?

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!" Review Thread

Wow, they handled "It's Lunch Time" perfectly!

Good job, TCPi.

Also, Remeyo weed? That doesn't sound like Salveyo weed at all!

Seriously though, did it have a name in the Japanese version?

Blog Entries

Osha? :o Evil Palpitoad lurks. So there is a samurai in him after all. Stunfisk laughs at you. FISHING TIME Go, Aqua Jet. Osha : D So happy.
    Step into the Fairy circle

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, I thought I was going get an awesome episode of all the Pokémon getting into pre-film-short style antics, but sadly that was shot down pretty early on with Dwebble popping the ball and then everyone getting poisoned.

While I'm glad they decided to address the developments of the previous episode at once, I'm irritated that Oshawott is already getting yet another training episode dedicated just to him.

I mean, he's had the Sandile episode, the episode where he loses his scalchop, the episode where Oshawott trained to fight Lenora, and even the episode where Ash catches Tepig was nearly more about Oshawott than Tepig himself, aside from that fact that his main gimmick is inserting himself into scenes and battles that otherwise wouldn't have been involved him at all.

I actually LOVE Oshawott, but why can't Snivy and Tepig get even half of Oshawott's screen time?

Still, its nice seeing the actual literal "training" of a Pokémon, which is something that this series seems to place unique emphasis on.

I also love Cilan with the epic fishing rod deployment sequence.

This was actually a great episode, but I'm annoyed by the fact that Cilan and particularly Ash have caught NEW Pokémon when the ones Ash in particular already has get very little screen time anyway.

And as a final note, for the first time ever, this episode made me feel like Pikachu wasn't really necessary and is just taking up space purely for the sake of tradition. They give Oshawott so much attention in this series he might as well take over as Ash's "shoulder Pokémon" so maybe the others can get some more attention.

EDIT: Silly question aobut Pokéball lockouts removed.
    Last edited by SuperTrainStationH; 10th September 2011 at 09:44 AM.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post

Oh, and since when do PokéBalls merely stay locked in storage mode if the Trainer has more than six Pokémon with them? The last time I remember this issue being addressed in the anime, the seventh Pokéball was explicitly explained to be teleported into storage, though this explanation actually makes more sense to me.
    In Best Wishes, this was changed so that it stays locked when a Trainer catches a seventh Pokemon.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Seriously though, did it have a name in the Japanese version?
    The Remeyo weed was called "Shlet plant" in the Japanese version.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    Oh, and since when do PokéBalls merely stay locked in storage mode if the Trainer has more than six Pokémon with them? The last time I remember this issue being addressed in the anime, the seventh Pokéball was explicitly explained to be teleported into storage, though this explanation actually makes more sense to me.
    The ball locked when Ash caught Sewaddle in BW018.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Still really liking how they've handled Palpitoad's voice (though it's a shame it has to say it's whole name) and they did a great job with Stunfisk too, who sounds as close to Muggyo as they could possibly get. While it's not been 100%, it feels really great to catch episodes of this series dub and be able to enjoy the majority of the 'mon's voices.
    Yoshi-san likes this.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    The ball locked when Ash caught Sewaddle in BW018.
    Yes, indeed. I now remember that I was surprised then as well. I probably would have remembered that if I had watched the episode more than once. :P

I like how the pokeball locks now its more um feasible I would have to say than being teleported away which still was pretty cool. I completly had forgotten about the snivy/emolga rivalry and it brought me to remember in this episode. I hope there is a bigger interaction between those two. When scraggy headbutt all those foongus I thought it was hilarious! not sure if anyone else thought that.

I really liked this episode. Yes, I agree that Oshawott is getting a little too much screen time (I really want more development of Tepig and Swadloon), but I'm ok with it because he's awesome. He's easily one of my all-time favorites of Ash's Pokémon. Another thing I really like about this episode- and maybe this is weird- is that Ash caught a Pokémon in an episode that didn't completely revolve around that Pokémon. It's just one more thing that makes this series feel like classic Indigo League (and that makes me oh so happy). I mean, that happened quite a few times back then, but has only happened once or twice in all the years since. Also, two major characters catching a new Pokémon in the same episode is pretty darn cool. Has that ever happened before? I can't think of a time...

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

How did Ash know what those Tympole were?
    Quite good episode, I like stunfisk now a little more. But there was too much Oshawott considering we only had an episode focused on him a couple of weeks ago.

I liked stunfisk's laugh because it sounded like croagunk

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

I'm watching the episode right now and it's a pretty good one. I'm at the part with the Tympole attacking Oshawott.

I see Emolga and Snivy's rivalry are still going. Snivy was really epic when Emolga threw the ball at her. The whole playing scene was really adorable.

I see this episode has three parts: Oshawott's special training, all the Pokemon's sicknesses, and the captures.

So they say miles in this episode. Do they say kilometers instead in the Japanese version.

EDIT 1 (9:17 AM): Oshawott finally opened his eyes! And, Derpfish! Fishing time!
    EDIT 2 (9:19 AM): Derpfish's exit out of the water was epic! And, Palpitoad! Plus, another stupid commercial break!
    EDIT 3 (9:24 AM): Oshawott's so awesome! Palpitoad sure is strong!
    EDIT 4 (9:26 AM): It's Double Capture time!
    EDIT 5 (9:28 AM): The shot of Oshawott at the end was SO cute!

And that wraps up my review. Tune in for next week!
    Last edited by Serperiority; 10th September 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Blog Entries

Definatley my favorite episode of BW! Let's see....

Good
    +Oshawott masters Aqua Jet, defeats Palpitoad, finds the cure for eveyrone's poison, and he's just so fricken adorable in this episode!!!!
    +Cilan is a fricken badass!!!!
    +Love the way they did Cilan's "It's lunch(and fishing) time!"
    +DERP FISH!!!! That voice is awesome and I love the laugh.
    +Love the way Palpitoad sounds.
    +Anyone notice how there's some remixes of music from the original series?

Bland
    -Why the hell does Ash need to look up Palpitoad....AGAIN?

Bad
    -F*** you Scraggy! It's all your fault everyone got poisoned cause you're such an idiot!
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this episode when I first watched it and I still like just as much.

I'm glad the "IT'S _____ TIME!" was executed well in the dub.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast