REVIEW: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two) - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokelova
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    It really isn't.
    I think you're trying too hard to not see it.
    New York City isn't the only city to have ever had smoke coming out of it.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

Default Re: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

It really isn't.
    I think you're trying too hard to not see it.
    New York City isn't the only city to have ever had smoke coming out of it.
    But this city is directly based on New York City.
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

9/11's not the only time New York's ever had smoke coming out of it.

Trophies

9/11's not the only time New York's ever had smoke coming out of it.
    It's the most memorable time. I'm not saying it isn't reminiscent of other times or other places. It can be reminiscent of multiple things. But it is reminiscent of 9/11 to anyone who isn't so desperate to forget 9/11.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

You don't have to be "desperate to forget 9/11" to not be reminded of the tragedy every time you see smoke coming out of a city in a children's movie. To me, 9/11 is a very specific event - airplanes flying into identical twin towers - and is so very different from what we see in this movie that I wouldn't have even thought to look for anything like that if I hadn't read that "review" posted on PokeBeach.

I suppose every other scene of a building being destroyed in this series is "reminiscent of 9/11" as well?
    HumanDawn likes this.

Trophies

I suppose every other scene of a building being destroyed in this series is "reminiscent of 9/11" as well?
    Like I said, this city was based on New York City.

Registered User Archives Junior

Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders? Genderless doesn't count by the way even though they are legendaries.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pattyman View Post
    Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders? Genderless doesn't count by the way even though they are legendaries.
    ... The heck does this mean? Their species are genderless. They can't have confirmed genders. That counts, because it's what they are. ._.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Like I said, this city was based on New York City.
    So was the entire Isshu Region. That doesn't mean that every shot of a building being damaged or every shot of smoke coming out of a building during the last three years or so was "reminiscent of 9/11."

Quote Originally Posted by pattyman
    Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders?
    No, but it's pretty obvious that the Mewtwo in this movie is meant to be female just like it was obvious that the Mewtwo in the first movie / Mewtwo Returns special was meant to be male. The Japanese voice actor for the Myuutwo in this movie (Takashima Reiko) has stated in interviews that she tried to give Myuutwo a "motherly" quality to its voice, and while no similar interview exists for its English voice actor I wouldn't be surprised if she approached the role the same way.

As for the Genesect...again, I haven't seen the dub yet, but in the original version the main Genosect that Satoshi befriends had a little boy quality to its voice.

Trophies

So was the entire Isshu Region. That doesn't mean that every shot of a building being damaged or every shot of smoke coming out of a building during the last three years or so was "reminiscent of 9/11."
    We're not talking about just any building having smoke coming out of it. We're talking about smoke that encompasses a large portion of a NEW YORK BASED CITY.

How much longer are you going to be in denial?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's not denial. It's called "I simply don't agree with you." There is a difference.

Besides, it doesn't matter what you or I think because neither TPCI nor Cartoon Network found the scene offensive enough to cut from the airing of the movie and I don't see anyone raising enough of a stink to get them to cut it from future airings / the DVD release.

I wasn't suggesting they cut it at all. xD

But like I said, I'm from Canada, and 9/11 wasn't a big factor in my life, but it was the first thing to come to mind when I see a city, which is based off New York, engulfed in smoke.

It's fine if others don't see it, but there are definitely people out there who did see it.
    Pokelova and Bubble Frog like this.

Registered User Archives Junior

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    ... The heck does this mean? Their species are genderless. They can't have confirmed genders. That counts, because it's what they are. ._.
    The genderless ratio only applies to the games. Besides, there has been at least many legendaries who are normally genderless, such as movie 15's Keldeo, who were confirmed male in the dub.

No, but it's pretty obvious that the Mewtwo in this movie is meant to be female just like it was obvious that the Mewtwo in the first movie / Mewtwo Returns special was meant to be male. The Japanese voice actor for the Myuutwo in this movie (Takashima Reiko) has stated in interviews that she tried to give Myuutwo a "motherly" quality to its voice, and while no similar interview exists for its English voice actor I wouldn't be surprised if she approached the role the same way.

As for the Genesect...again, I haven't seen the dub yet, but in the original version the main Genosect that Satoshi befriends had a little boy quality to its voice.
    There was stuff going around about Mewtwo being a girl so I wanted to see if it was true or not. The original version usually triumphs over the dub in terms of gender confirmation. I didn't really think the character's voice usually determined the gender, with Ash Ketchum being a notable example as his voice actor is the opposite gender.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Has NOA distributed the Red Genosect and/or the Myuutwo that was distributed when this movie hit theaters in Japan? Or did they just say screw it, we're on Generation VI now we're not going to even bother?

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Has NOA distributed the Red Genosect and/or the Myuutwo that was distributed when this movie hit theaters in Japan? Or did they just say screw it, we're on Generation VI now we're not going to even bother?
    Neither made it anywhere outside Asia, unfortunately.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast