REVIEW: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two) - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

Default Re: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

The dub trailer for the 16th movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened.

Pokémon Episodes | Pokemon.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Only Cilan can make holding a fishing rod look badass.
    This is Cilan's Stunfisk, he laughs at you.

Destinies United Kalos Adventurer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (Take Two)

REMINDER:
    The dub of this movie along with a 1 hour preview of Pokémon the Series: XY airs this Saturday (October 19th) on Cartoon Network. Check your local listings for times.
    Darth Darkrai likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

(I assume we're just following on in this thread for dub reviews?)

I came in not expecting much from this movie after hearing that it wasn't going to cover the Genesect creation story - with a Team Plasma logo on the door of the lab about the only reference there. So I wouldn't say I'm disappointed - just it's a very bland and generic storyline, saved by the short running time making it not really drag out as much.

This could have been done with any fossil Pokemon and be almost the same - I don't think being created by humans impacted the Genesect that much plot-wise, so it was just Mewtwo's hangups about that pushing that side of the story. You're really left with revived fossils feeling out of place in the modern era - so basically that Archeops episode from earlier in BW - where the solution was for them to go back in time, though here it was finding a modern era snapshot of that place.

I also didn't get their attacking of Pokemon from a plot perspective - hating humans for wrecking their natural environment is logical, but the Pokemon did no wrong that should have made them targets. Perhaps they could have made a distinction on the different era of Pokemon - but I'd say Golem should be one of the oldest non-fossil Pokemon and they still played a role.

The movie was almost totally devoid of human characters, and those that remained did almost nothing - Ash just watched on half the time. Ash's one contribution was making the link between the flowers and the previous mention of the flowers - something I'm sure everyone watching would have picked up on the moment they appeared.

Not going to be in a rush to watch this again.

I did like the longer version of It's always you and me - indeed all of those longer versions of the dub themes end up pretty good, it's a shame we have to wait for the movies to hear them.

The Chansey recurring joke was great. Though it's amazing how happy they can be with the Audino taking all their jobs!

Iris looked a bit off in the movie, but otherwise I have no complaints about the animation (not that I notice half the stuff usually complained about); and the dub sounded good enough, the main purple Genesect's voice is a bit odd but bearable.

Registered User charizardmaster125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw the movie on CITV this morning after dragging myself out of bed at nine this morning and my first impressions are that the movie was pretty enjoyable, though I would like to do a proper review of this movie and start dissecting the story soon. The dub follow the Japanese's lead and have Mewtwo voiced by a female voice actor who was pretty good and I'm looking forward to see who the voice was. I felt she had some massive shoes to fill since Phillip Bartlett and Dan Green gave us some solid performances in Movie 1 & Mewtwo Returns.

On the whole the dubs scripting and voice acting was solid and the musical score by Shinji Myazaki was top notch as always. The extended "It's always you & me" felt as bland and generic as you can get from John Loffler & David Woolfert and I feel indifferent since the song made its debut. I just hope that XY's theme (which wasn't revealed in CITV's preview of XY today) is more about Ash himself and less if not zero of the "friendshippy" stuff, I'm getting a little tired of it. The final song "We're Coming Home" by Jess Domain was really good and fit the theme of the movie well.

So overall an enjoyable movie all round.
    Last edited by charizardmaster125; 23rd October 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic58355_1.gif

When Ash's Charizard gives you a thumb's up, you know that he'll be back soon!

Watched the movie and to be honest, I was left feeling a little disappointed. It kinda reminded me of the Deoxys movie... looked nice but really there wasn't much going on. It was just the basic 'two Pokemon battling before learning something about each other' plot. Also, Ash and friends did not impact the plot at all - I can't help but feel that exactly the same might have happened if the gang hadn't been around for this (I'm pretty certain that Eric could have easily worked out where to transplant the Genesect himself given a little time). I liked a couple of bits... some of the flashbacks were well done and I enjoyed the sequence of the gang's Pokemon enjoying Pokemon Hills but otherwise this is pretty much the weakest BW movie of the three.

Also, what the hell was up with Sableye whoring the limelight? What a random choice of Pokemon to put in there... couldn't there have been a Generation VI Pokemon to debut in its place?

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

I wonder who's voicing Mewtwo & Purple Genesect. I think Vic Mignogna is Red Genesect as he kinda sounds like Broly from DBZ.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need to watch this movie again to really get a better understanding of it.

-I really liked the overarching theme of existentialism and belonging. The scene with Mewtwo and the Red Genesect holding hands was touching. I also liked the first scene where Mewtwo floated through the sky with those birds.

-The Genesect had a nice balance of talking to people and talking and acting like bugs.

-I didn't get why all those random Pokémon had to show up during that battle other than adding action. They just showed up very quickly with little explanation.

-Eric didn't do much during the climax.

-I was hoping the Douse Drive Genesect would have a better scene or say a better line when it finally found a "home." Ash filling in that statement wasn't that effective.

-Was that just the TV cut, or is the intro really after that first scene with Mewtwo?

-Red Genesect sounded like Kyurem from the last movie. And who plays Mewtwo and the other Genesect?

-At least they DID mention Team Plasma somewhere.

-The animators did a good job of taking time away from the Mewtwo-Red Genesect action to show the Douse Drive Genesect looking at those flower petals. That was one thing in the climax that was very understandable.

-It seemed like Ash did recognize Mewtwo, only he was surprised to see it. Iris and Cilan were the ones showing most of the surprise.

Overall, it wasn't the worst Pokémon movie, but not the best either.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

This movie. Was. GREAT! :D

Probably my new favorite now along with Keldeo's film! You really feel bad for the young female Genesect (she's got to be female, that voice is like a little girl's) because she doesn't want to be controlled and ordered around by that shiny Genesect. She just wants a place to live is all. And Ash being so gentle with her was great. Mewtwo is probably female and a different Mewtwo than the one Ash met in the very first movie. I bet after the first Mewtwo escaped and stuff, Team Rocket decided to make another one, only this one was born female and escaped just like the first one.

I like how Mewtwo finally made the shiny Genesect understand after so long. It shows that the Genesect were just really confused and so unfamiliar with the new world around them.

I thought the movie was quite enjoyable, but then again, I'm kind of a sucker for those types of friendship stories. The whole question of where we belong was interesting, and reminded me of the (Japanese) first movie Mewtwo asking about his worth. I was disappointed that Eric didn't get a bigger role in the movie though since I was looking forward to seeing another character of the day getting a big role in a Pokemon movie. The music in the movie was quite good though. Overall, I think it was enjoyable enough that I would watch it a second time.
    Kalos Adventurer likes this.
    "The strongest Pokémon... Is this... the fulfillment of my dream?" --Dr. Fuji
    Brock: And I decided I want you to be my partner!
    Girl: What?!

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I bet after the first Mewtwo escaped and stuff, Team Rocket decided to make another one, only this one was born female and escaped just like the first one.
    I've already explained and posted canon Japanese materials of why this couldn't have happened countless of times, so I'll just keep it short and say no.

The creators of this Mewtwo were misc scientists that we never really learn anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by charizardmaster125 View Post
    I think that the writers would have to go out of their way to re-introduce Mewtwo to a new audience after so long.
    But they did that anyway by having special showings of the first movie on multiple occasions before this film's initial premiere...
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 19th October 2013 at 06:58 PM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the fact that the Unova region is based on New York City and New Jersey with liberties taken, but with the basic geography, and the locations of key features being directly from the real life NYC metropolitan area, but in this movie, there's a city WITHIN Unova that's literally the New York City from OUR OWN WORLD just transplanted into the Pokémon World.

Mewtwo was literally standing on top of the Manhattan Bridge, but theoretically the Manhattan Bridge should be directly adjacent the Skyarrow Bridge.

They were in Central Park in the movie, but the Entralink area on the Unova map is also intended to mirror the location of Central Park in relation to a map of Manhattan.

Highly ironic, but extremely awesome.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    I've already explained and posted canon Japanese materials of why this couldn't have happened countless of times, so I'll just keep it short and say no.

The creators of this Mewtwo were misc scientists that we never really learn anything about.
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know you had already explained. Excuse me for just theorizing...

Blog Entries

Isn't it funny how this movie takes place in New York City, and at the end of Mewtwo Returns, the original Mewtwo was seen in a vaguely New York-esque location?
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

I couldn't have been the only one who laughed my ass off, when axew passed sableye on that dwebble

hilarious!
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries

Still can't believe how Sableye was put in the movie and served no purpose in it, and it also didn't get any special treatment such as an evolution or Mega Evolution in X and Y! Huge trolling from Game Freak/Pokemon Company part.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast