REVIEW: Eevee & Friends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Eevee & Friends

Blog Entries

Default Eevee & Friends

Now that its up on Pokémon TV, What did everyone think of it?

I thought everything in it was great except for the painful narrations pointing out the obvious.
    The narrations alone completely ruined it for me.

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Re: Eevee & Friends

Closing, as we already have a review thread for this here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/extremespeed-genesect-mewtwo-awakens-pikachu-eevee-friends-take-two-153317/

EDIT: Upon second thoughts, I remember that the "Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade" short did indeed get its own separate review thread when the dubbed version was made available, so I think that it will also be okay to do the same here. I'll re-open and upgrade this to a sticky. :)
    Last edited by garrison-san; 6th December 2013 at 07:25 PM.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

The special was both cute and funny. The Eeveelution houses were very creative, and it was nice how each eeveelution had its own personality. There were a few funny moments, like Oshawott getting hit with attacks and then running around as if he was a leaf monster without realizing it. Meowth and and Wobbuffet were funny in their Glaceon and Leafeon disguises, especially with everyone's reactions before they were blasted off.

The animations for the different skies shown when attacks were being used was really done well. The special definitely could have gone without the Narrator, since she wasn't really needed to understand what was going on.

Blog Entries

Wow, Oshawott sure took a shit-ton of abuse in this short. I think my favourite moments were the interactions between him and overly-affectionate Jolteon. XD

Story-wise it was a bit thin, even by Pikachu short standards, but visually speaking, this was quite a delightful short, with some of the individual eeveelution rooms being nicely realised. Leafeon's room looked particularly lovely.

For all the criticism the narration is getting, I thought that the VA did a better job here than in "Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade". At least she didn't sound quite so bored half the time.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 7th December 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

This short was so adorable. All of the Pokemon's interactions were so cute with one another, even if it didn't have much of a story it was worth the watch imo. The animation during the part with the changing skies was gorgeous! Of course Miju and Nyasu fall in love with some of the Eeveelutions....

This is one of my favorite Pikachu shorts in a while, if I get past the pointless narration. I loved seeing all the Eeveelutions, especially getting to see Sylveon for the first time animated and voiced. Meowth falling for them was funny, as was Oshawott getting hurt repeatedly. The show in the sky at the end was fabulous. I certainly enjoyed this more than the movie it's attached to.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As an Eeveelution fanatic, I quite enjoyed this short. It was cute and funny and I really liked how they gave each Eeveelution its own personality. The scene with the Sky/Star show was beautiful and I liked how Umbreon had some friends join the party, too.

The only thing that bothered me, and it really shouldn't at this point, was that I just couldn't wrap my mind around how this event would be canonically possible, especially since the announcer said they'd "have fun again tomorrow" or something along those lines. I just kept thinking: "Where the hell is Ash?"

Also of minor annoyance was Oshawott. Ash already had Pikachu there; Iris and Cilan had once Pokemon each, yet Ash's Oshawott was there, too. It just feels slightly like favoritism.

Overall, very enjoyable short. I give it a 10/10.

Blog Entries

I hope they release it on DVD with the narrations optional

I liked how it reminded me of mystery dungeon games

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    The only thing that bothered me, and it really shouldn't at this point, was that I just couldn't wrap my mind around how this event would be canonically possible, especially since the announcer said they'd "have fun again tomorrow" or something along those lines. I just kept thinking: "Where the hell is Ash?"
    The Pikachu shorts generally aren't designed to have much relation to the main series, beyond the featured pokemon corresponding with whatever is on the main characters' teams at the time. Whereas the early theatrical shorts were often book-ended by brief appearances from Ash and co, from the ANA shorts onward they've tended to focus entirely upon the pokemon having adventures in their own private world, usually without a single human in sight. They're probably best regarded as simple spin-offs rather than direct supplements to the main story and, as such, don't necessarily have to be seen as existing in quite the same continuity.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    The Pikachu shorts generally aren't designed to have much relation to the main series, beyond the featured pokemon corresponding with whatever is on the main characters' teams at the time. Whereas the early theatrical shorts were often book-ended by brief appearances from Ash and co, from the ANA shorts onward they've tended to focus entirely upon the pokemon having adventures in their own private world, usually without a single human in sight. They're probably best regarded as simple spin-offs rather than direct supplements to the main story and, as such, don't necessarily have to be seen as existing in quite the same continuity.
    I understand that. That's why I said it shouldn't bother me at this point. But still, in the back of my mind, I always question it.

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

The genders of each of the Eeveelutions were made apparent to us:

Jolteon, Flareon, Vaporeon and Umbreon are male while Espeon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon are female.

Unfortunately I'm unsure about Eevee due to it clearly being a child.

This was a cute short. It was clearly made to appeal to little kids, but I enjoyed it, especially the sky show scene.

Blog Entries

I thought this was a highly adorable short and I love how each Eeveelution had its own room inspired by their typing and they each had their own personality. I thought the playful and overly affectionate Jolteon was just purely adorable, though I was pretty irritated with all the torture the writers put Oshawott through. The cosmic display at the end was just absolutely beautiful and very well animated. It was a pretty nice short!
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

The show the Pokemon gave was beautiful.

The rest of it was awful. That narrator...

Guess Ash, Iris and Cilan don't care about thier Pokemon if they're chilling their for a while. Why are they suddenly friends with Meowth and Wobuffet?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Why are they suddenly friends with Meowth and Wobuffet?
    Pikachu is frequently on friendlier terms with Meowth in the pokemon shorts. Like I say, continuity with the main anime is intended to be quite loose in these things.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pikachu shorts are always overly cutesy, but I thought this was one of the more entertaining ones.

I think the scene with the fancy displays on the cliff was just an excuse for the animators to experiement with crazy stuff that they otherwise wouldn't have the chance to in any other context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast