DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread - Page 56
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast
Results 826 to 840 of 842

Thread: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

  1. #826

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Sceptile is pretty agile.

    Besides, you phrased it as though it was a type matchup.
    Yeah, I don't fault you at all since it was quite vague.

    A lot of good that agility did though...

  2. #827
    Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I'm needed
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    169

    Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    It served him great against Darkrai though. :)

    I get what you say now though.

  3. #828
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bahia Blanca,Argentina
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    can someone tell me what happened to gliscor?did it go back to the air master or was it oaked

  4. #829
    Registered User caffeinasaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England, Great Britain
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    so....what was the significance of LT? i thought he was gunna have an isshu pokemon... seriously man they just chucked in a powerful character.... i dont get it... he wasnt evil or anything either so no story... kinda boring if ya ask me...

  5. #830

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pochama View Post
    can someone tell me what happened to gliscor?did it go back to the air master or was it oaked
    Possibly Oaked...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

  6. #831
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by caffeinasaur View Post
    so....what was the significance of LT? i thought he was gunna have an isshu pokemon... seriously man they just chucked in a powerful character.... i dont get it... he wasnt evil or anything either so no story... kinda boring if ya ask me...
    I don't get it either. If they're gonna put a strong trainer, have him at least use something to promote Isshu, but now it seems like Takuto was put there just to steamroll Ash in the semis. The writers needed a reason to have Ash lose, and it seems throwing in an uber powerful trainer is the only option they had.

  7. #832

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Though the latios made me wtf, I can't say I feel bad for Ash. He knew he was facing an uber, he should've brought his A game.

    Charizard, Snorlax, Squirtle, Heracross, Pikachu, Sceptile - this was the perfect chance to whip out his best reserves. I can see Ash knocking out 3-4 mons before going down.

  8. #833
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,301
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Takuto was kind of a dick. I don't know if he was being sincere, but when Gible was knocked out, Takuto basically said "Let's admire the battle with Gible for a moment, if it had been any other Pokemon, it would've been knocked out by Draco Meteor."

    He may have been sincere (about Gible's prowess) but that still comes off as Takuto being a dick, evidenced by the fact Ash didn't really like what he said by "growling"

    This comes from a reliably translated sub of episode.

  9. #834
    Registered User Matt3225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WildGamer View Post
    Charizard, Snorlax, Squirtle, Heracross, Pikachu, Sceptile - this was the perfect chance to whip out his best reserves. I can see Ash knocking out 3-4 mons before going down.
    He didn't have access to Charizard or Squirtle since he's too far away.

    Switch Gible for Glalie, Swellow for Snorlax and Torkoal for either Quilava or Infernape and he would have made it to atleast the third pokemon

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    He may have been sincere (about Gible's prowess) but that still comes off as Takuto being a dick, evidenced by the fact Ash didn't really like what he said by "growling"
    Yeah that's kinda like a compliment and an insult. Your Gible is tough just not tough enough


    Freakin Adorable.

  10. #835

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    like so many people have said, a cheap way to end the league. Still sceptiles leaf blade is awesome, i was glad to see it in action again

  11. #836
    Angelic Champion Queen Cynthia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    together with Cynthia forever
    Posts
    1,209

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Not really when you consider Glalie is far more experienced than Gible (and has a better record). The only advantage Gible has over Glalie is Gible can hurt both of Takuto's Pokemon but if the writers were fair I'd actually say Glalie would've been able to take more hits than Gible.
    I strongly object! How often was Glalie really used in battles? You can't say that it is so much more experienced, because considering how frequently Gible has appeared and how often Ash has trained with him or used him in training battles so far, I dare say that Glalie AND Gible are at least equally experienced.
    That said I don't frankly care if Gible was in this match or not. The Pokemon that shouldn't have was Swellow, of course if it had been Glalie instead, Ash would've beaten Latios easier (because who knows what new attacks Glalie had learned while it was oaked).
    And that's why I don't like it if Pokemon come up with powerful new attacks all of a sudden when returning from Oak's lab. This is a prime example for DEM plot devices as technically speaking, the writers could even have Ash's Pokemon learn attacks that are not in their move pool, for instance, by having Oak explain via phone that he did some kind of special training with them.
    Illegal or not, "Oak-moves" as I may call them always leave a bitter aftertaste as we didn't see how the Pokemon learned them.
    And when it comes to the writers' sometimes strange decisions, my philosophy is to better not trust what I didn't see personally.
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 1st September 2010 at 04:06 AM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."


    Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

  12. #837
    Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I'm needed
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    169

    Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    And Sceptile's Leaf Storm did shit.

    Glad Sceptile didn't win due to an 'Oak-move' but confused as to why Sceptile was given the move by the writers in the first place.

  13. #838
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,301
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    I strongly object! How often was Glalie really used in battles? You can't say that it is so much more experienced, because considering how frequently Gible has appeared and how often Ash has trained with him or used him in training battles so far, I dare say that Glalie AND Gible are at least equally experienced.
    Glalie had more battles than Gible, and even if it didn't it still had more wins than Gible. Glalie lost to a Sealeo (I think) and as a Snorunt. Glalie then beat Charizard, Dugtrio, tied with Misdreavus, beat a Metang, and then tied to a Sceptile. Meanwhile Gible lost to an Empoleon, beat Shuckle and Dusknoir, and lost to a Darkrai. Glalie has had more battles and has definitely more wins and less losses. Glalie has only lost once and as a Snorunt. As a Glalie the worst it ever did was tying with an opponent.

    And that's why I don't like it if Pokemon come up with powerful new attacks all of a sudden when returning from Oak's lab. This is a prime example for DEM plot devices as technically speaking, the writers could even have Ash's Pokemon learn attacks that are not in their move pool, for instance, by having Oak explain via phone that he did some kind of special training with them.
    Illegal or not, "Oak-moves" as I may call them always leave a bitter aftertaste as we didn't see how the Pokemon learned them.
    And when it comes to the writers' sometimes strange decisions, my philosophy is to better not trust what I didn't see personally.
    Actually you're kind of narrow minded here, as in you're thinking about the games too much when storing your Pokemon turns them into data where they are stuck until you want to use them.

    Ash's Pokemon on the other hand go a more realistic way by actually having a habitat to live in with many numerous other Pokemon. It is entirely possible a move impresses one of Ash's Pokemon so much that said Pokemon decides to learn it.

    Then we have two other things to consider:

    1. Brock mentioned that Ash teaching Heracross sleep talk was a great strategy against Nando's Kricketune (which knew sing). Which implies outside of Torkoal's heat wave, all these new moves are because Ash taught them these brand new moves. Or at the very least Ash had some role in helping them develop these moves.

    2. Ash commands these attacks out of the blue. If these were sudden moves, I doubt he would be so strategic with them. Had these moves popped out of nowhere maybe I could agree with you. But when Ash orders a Pokemon to use an attack and it does it without needing to find out about it first, then I think any DEM attachment to it is lost. Considering a) There's probably a whole bunch of off screen stuff that we don't see, and b) because some of them are 4th gen moves and said Pokemon couldn't learn them at the time Ash had them on his team.

    Quilava's aerial ace and Sceptile's Leaf Storm. Look at them for a moment. We know Ash has 2 birds with aerial ace specifically Swellow, and Ash's Torterra knows leaf storm, so it really wouldn't surprise me if Ash's Swellow or maybe Staraptor and Ash's Torterra didn't in some way help Quilava and Sceptile to learn these attacks.

    The only odd one is Noctowl, learning 3 moves that Ash never had before. Air Slash is 4th gen so that could easily be explained. As for Sky attack and Extrasensory, well those are moves it should've known when Ash had it, so the writers were being very generous now, because outside of confusion, Noctowl had a pretty boring moveset. And also there is the fact that Noctowl hasn't been on Ash's team for a very long time, so it could've easily picked up things from the other Pokemon Oak takes care of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Glad Sceptile didn't win due to an 'Oak-move' but confused as to why Sceptile was given the move by the writers in the first place.
    Because Leaf Storm is completely superior to bullet seed.

  14. #839
    Froakin' Hilarious. V Faction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Shady Acres, OR
    Posts
    4,538

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Did you hear that everyone? Bullets are superior. Hurry for ammunition!
    V Faction: Bulbatized

    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330



  15. #840
    Registered User nattfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Ash's Pokemon on the other hand go a more realistic way by actually having a habitat to live in with many numerous other Pokemon. It is entirely possible a move impresses one of Ash's Pokemon so much that said Pokemon decides to learn it.


    Ash's bulbasaur is an excellent example of this, since we got to see it learn dig while at Oaks. Granted the situation was a bit special but that doesn't mean it's impossible for the pokemon to learn new moves when they're not with Ash.

    Then we have Buizel. Buizel loves to train and has learned every move he has except for ice punch before he ever got a trainer. If he gets any air time during Best Wishes it wouldn't be much of a surprise if he's got a new move or two. The same goes for the rest of Ash's pokemon, there's no reason they can't do a little training on their own time.

Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •