DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread - Page 55

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Review Thread

So as ironic as it is, Ash actually used Sceptile, Swellow and Torkoal, literally making this mostly a Hoenn Pokemon fight.
    You could have said that if Swellow and Torkoal actually did something. Sadly, they didn't.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    You could have said that if Swellow and Torkoal actually did something. Sadly, they didn't.
    Any other pokemon would have went down just as quickly to legends. Aside from Char or Infernape.

Blog Entries

Yes, any other pokemon with the exception of CHar and Ape would have gone as quickly.

I love his Hoenn team and I also thought Glalie should have been there instead of Gible.

Sorry guys, but wanting to replace Gible with Glalie is absolutely no smart move. I even dare say that it would have been downright stupid!
    No I'm not saying this because I want to glorify Gible, but because of strategical reasons:

Glalie wouldn't have had any super-effective moves against Darkrai and would presumably have ended up like Torkoal.
    Gible, however, did have a super-effective move against Darkrai, namely Rock Smash. 1-0 Gible
    Glalie would have been effective against Latios (Icy Wind, Icebeam), that's true, but so would have been Gible when using Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse ;) Plus, Gible would have been more agile which proved to be essential in the battle against Latios.
    So it's a more or less a draw here, with a clear advantage on Gible's side though.

All in all, Gible would have been super-effective against two Pokemon while Glalie would maybe have only had a chance against one.

So, how in the world somebody can cry for Glalie here sure is beyond me..
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 29th August 2010 at 03:09 AM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Sorry guys, but wanting to replace Gible with Glalie is absolutely no smart move. I even dare say that it would have been downright stupid!
    Not really when you consider Glalie is far more experienced than Gible (and has a better record). The only advantage Gible has over Glalie is Gible can hurt both of Takuto's Pokemon but if the writers were fair I'd actually say Glalie would've been able to take more hits than Gible.

That said I don't frankly care if Gible was in this match or not. The Pokemon that shouldn't have was Swellow, of course if it had been Glalie instead, Ash would've beaten Latios easier (because who knows what new attacks Glalie had learned while it was oaked).

I think that's the reason why Glalie wasn't chosen over Swellow, was because they wanted Ash to lose quickly and not stall it out with a third Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Its not because I think Glalie would have been a better choice. Its just that it came back but didn't get even a single battle.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    (because who knows what new attacks Glalie had learned while it was oaked).
    To be fair, Glalie's movepool sucks. The only move I can think of is Crunch.

Blog Entries

\
    To be fair, Glalie's movepool sucks. The only move I can think of is Crunch.
    Are we only going for "super effective" moves?

Crunch (as you pointed out), Blizzard, Sheer Cold (though I kind of doubt it would do anything), Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Signal Beam (both effective against Darkrai and Latios). And kind of weather ball (if its hailing).

Blog Entries

I think the real problem with Fukamaru here was more how it was used when I think about it.

Rock Smash actually seemed kinda promising at first (though lol, Darkrai did just sort of float towards Fuka to take it) but then we have Satoshi calling for Draco Meteor, which has only really been proven to be successful if Fukamaru has latched onto the opposing Pokémon first. I can understand trying to use it a different way, but you think Sato would stick to a winning formula at a time when he really cannot afford to be trying new things.

I also think that Fukamaru would have crumbled to Latios (though of course, Satoshi could not prepare for it). As shown in DP185, Fukamaru still gets tired after using Dragon Pulse. This would give Takuto the perfect opportunity to counter attack. There's also the fact that Latios has been shown to fly incredibly fast around the stadium and I have no doubt that it could have simply raced against Draco Meteor and flown above the point where it stops, rendering the move useless as the meteors fall to the ground.

Blog Entries

Okay I had no idea Glalie could learn Dark Pulse and Signal Beam. My bad :\

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was horrible to see Gible again instead of a Pokemon like Glalie.

Blog Entries

Did anyone else feel Sceptile should have learned X-Scissor instead? It could have easily been used in a combination with Leaf Blade.

Well, since we're talking strategy, if Ash had chosen the order of his Pokemon a little bit better, he may have made it to Takuto's 3rd Pokemon. He could have:

1. Recalled Sceptile and let it rest a bit. Plus, grass vs. flying is rarely a good match.
    2. Used Pikachu before Swellow, since Latios suffered no damage before fighting Pikachu anyway.

I still think Swellow was the worst choice in the whole match. It has no distance-based attacks and can only rely on speed, but even that rarely does well against legendaries. Big mistake. Should have been Glalie instead, if they wanted to use another Hoenn Pokemon so badly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
    Plus, grass vs. flying is rarely a good match.
    Latios ain't a Flying Type. Its Dragon Psychic.

Latios ain't a Flying Type. Its Dragon Psychic.
    But it flies and can obviously act as a flying Pokemon. Sceptile's moves may have been more effective, but the laws of physics were still against it.

Blog Entries

Sceptile is pretty agile.

Besides, you phrased it as though it was a type matchup.