DP 102 "Yosuga Gym Match! (Satoshi) vs. Melissa!!" Review Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DP 102 "Yosuga Gym Match! (Satoshi) vs. Melissa!!" Review Thread

I don't know what's more awesome, Jessie winning another ribbon (ANOTHER RIBBON OMG) or Jun becoming an official rival.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Wait, Jun's in this episode too? And it looks like he'll be in 103??

....holy moses, I called that prediction on the day the titles were revealed. No one listened. *dazed* *let her have her moment; if he finds himself in 104, she's wrongo*

AND they dared to have a critical-to-Jesse's-ribbon-count contest under the surface of a basic gym battle? They IMPEDED on Ash's gym battle to show Jessie as various stages of a contest?! *swoons w/ hearts, man* The risks they're taking that they would have never considered to do before, creatively. I need to see this episode. It sounds fantastic. *absolutely serious*
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Remember we barely saw anything from this Contest at all
    Just Jessie doing a performance and than get her ribbon
    So it's not like she really took time from the Gym battle

Blog Entries

It's official. This has now made it possible for Jessie to join Dawn in the race for the Grand Festival, and maybe even get there.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Is the ribbon that Jessie won was from Hearthome City or not?

I'm not sure... she used only Yanmega so it wasn't double performance but maybe Hearthome also have regular Contests sometimes

EDIT: Now after I watched the whole episode I checked and it is NOT Hearthome Contest but another town (Kawarake or something like that, I think anime only town)
    Makes sense since Dawn didn't participate or say anything about it

Chimchar was really great in this Gym! It really deserve this after what it got in the third Gym! Can't wait to see it star in the next two Gyms (at least I hope it'll be the one to "star" in them since it's good against steel and ice)
    While I don't really like Monferno I'm also excited for it's hinted evolution from now to January
    Last edited by Piplup; 13th November 2008 at 10:05 AM.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Wow. It's pretty cool that Musalina won another ribbon. If she doesn't make it to the Grand Festival, I'll be disappointed. :P

Also, yay for Chimchar winning the badge for Satoshi. The little guy deserves it. :D

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess its quite possible that Jessie will make it to the grand festival this time. I never would have believed it would happen.

Jessie sure has changed from the way she would cheat in Contests back in Hoenn. I'd wager she could become really good now.

They used the infamous Indigo ending piano music :o!

I thought they didn't use that past Johto

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

I don't think they would bother giving Musashi more ribbons if she weren't going to the Grand Festival.

Not to mention there was absolutely no reason to have Jessie win a ribbon during a Gym battle episode
    It's obvious there's a reason why they did it... and really why not let her in the GF? it also give us the interesting possibility of Jessie having to choose if she prefer Contests or Rocket... and after how much better she got and also now that we know how important Contests are to her (as explained in the Dustox episode she wanted to go do them with the one she loved but eventually didn't go) I really won't be that surprised if she choose Contests eventually
    I already said it could be nice if TRio decide to become "good guys" and than become recurring rivals/friends to the twerps just like Zoey and the others but still appear every episode or almost every episode

then what would be the "conflict" in each episode if they were to do that?

I think it would be just nice to have JJ&M have thier own interests and re occur a LOT in the new series, but ending their Rocket tenure.

They're amazing characters I wouldn't want to lose them, but I want something a bit more fresh, and perhaps a bit more threatening.

Jessie goes to do contests, James opens a bottlecap collecting shop, and Meowth ...hmm what can we do with Meowth?

I Kiss A Girl n I Like IT Amazed4587's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode totally surprised me, I saw it this morning, and I was so not expecting Jessie entering in the contest and win it too. So this means, they are possibly pushing Jessie to enter the Grand Festival, legimately, or pull another steal ribbons.

I don't know, but Jun just like to believe or hear. I think I heard something about Chimchar involving trading, and Dawn and Brock just sighs. He made me laugh how he reacted to Ash's reaction to the situtation.

Melissa got annoying, and now her voice is stuck in my head. Her voice is annoying but yet entertaining. I not annoyed in a bad way, but her phrases and voices got me imitaiting her voice. I could do a good Melissa voice now.

And the battle, it was awesome. Seems like Ash put in some contest like moves which was genius, but too bad it didn't work on Pikachu. I got upset when Pikachu lost thinking Buizel was going to take the spotlight again, and then it lost and gave it to Chimchar. I was happy, Chimchar deserved it. And I loved the breakdancing water gun from Buizel and Chimchar did with the flames.

Can't wait to watch it again soon.

Personally, I found this episode to be pretty dang excellent. Where to start?

First, seeing Musashi in her Candy Musarina guise was extremely pleasing to me. It was extremely unexpected for the writers to include a contest in the Gym Battle episode and it was gold to see her come out on top with another ribbon. At this point, I'm fairly certain we'll be seeing her as both a permanent (and serious) rival to Hikari and a contestant in the Grand Festival. Ever since she mocked Hikari during that contest, I've really wanted to see this and I'm very excited to see it coming to fruition.

So, next up is the Gym Battle. One thing that's becoming very evident is the fact that the writers are focusing on Satoshi training - both to give his Pokemon new techniques but also to give him some unique strategies. Now, given, early on, he was incorporating a number of elements from Hikari's battle style, but now he's beginning to make his own applications. This strikes me because it's a big change from "just spam the heck out of what we know" Satoshi to "putting a little thought into it" Satoshi. I know people have been griping about Satoshi tendency to lose to many of the leaders first before re-challenging them, but I can't help but think it's all to make him a far better battler. He's always been a solid one, but by forcing him to deal with these sort of situations, I feel like the writers are setting him up for success later on.

Something else that struck me during this episode was his choice of Buoysel, Hikozaru, and Pikachu. I know a number of people have been complaining that Mukubird, Glion, and Hayashigame are getting the shaft, but I can't help but think that writers are waiting until Hikozaru and Buoysel evolve before redistributing the spotlight once more. It makes a certain sort of sense to me that they're focusing on those three, as well, because I'm becoming increasingly certain that they'll end up being Satoshi's main battlers this season. By the time he seriously faces off with Tougan, I think we'll have a Moukazaru and Flowsel and we'll be seeing a better chance for each Pokemon to have their day in the spotlight.

Seeing Jun being pretty much promoted to Rival is also a cool thing - I've been wanting to see Satoshi gain rivals with some actual development and a somewhat long term appearance for a while. Seeing them come in before the League is awesome and the fact that it's Jun of all people makes it all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster Justin View Post
    then what would be the "conflict" in each episode if they were to do that?
    Who says we -have- to have something like that every episode? they could simply make more episodes about the evil team of the region (like Galactic/J now), the rivals, trainings, tournaments, help people without anyone like JJM causing trouble... and there are many more possibilities to make great episodes without JJM or someone else who act like them

I think it would be just nice to have JJ&M have thier own interests and re occur a LOT in the new series, but ending their Rocket tenure.
    Isn't this exactly what I just said? XD it seemed like at first you didn't like the idea but now you say you like it...

They're amazing characters I wouldn't want to lose them,
    I didn't say anything about losing them - they can be recurring character that appear a lot or even stay main characters that appear every episode

but I want something a bit more fresh, and perhaps a bit more threatening.
    We have things like J and Galactic for that - it won't work for the every episode thing TRio doing now

Jessie goes to do contests, James opens a bottlecap collecting shop, and Meowth ...hmm what can we do with Meowth?
    What?... JJM will ALWAYS stay together no matter what
    Jessie of course will be a Coordinator, James will want to stay with her and he doesn't seem interested in participating at anything so he can just go with her or be a Breeder or something (maybe Gym challenger if he suddenly change his opinion so they become rivals to Ash and Dawn), Meowth will just stay with them and possibly help them in their goals (like how Jessie used Meowth at a Contest before)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast