REVIEW: "Destiny Deoxys" Review Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Destiny Deoxys" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    Ah, but that footage was just used for the TV broadcast, making the DVD footage the one that has not been seen before.
    Well, perhaps the art department wasn't involved in the discussions to bring this movie on television, so maybe they included the bonus type bit on the cover like they always do.

Either that, or Miramax had the cover done by the time they were finished making a deal with Kids WB!

Either way, assuming that that "never before seen footage" isn't anything else, since again there was no Pikachu short, it is indeed the original movie, as it was intended to be shown in its original format.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

There is some amount of footage that was cropped from the TV broadcast. (Literally - 16:9 down to 4:3 loses 25% area; on top of that they cut a 98 minute movie to less than 90 minutes.)

Anyway, two theories for the missing Hitomi-on-Metagross:

Perhaps they fixed before going to film, but forgot to fix it in the original sources. Then, they went through all the scenes in the film with a fine-tooth comb to compile a list of edits, and had those scenes done, but since the missing Hitomi fix was not added back into the source, it was missed in the final cut.

Or, someone screwed up in the after-recording (post-production recording of special appearance cast) -- perhaps Hitomi took Yuko's line by mistake?

Then again, re-examining the scene, it seems that Satoshi looks at the missing Hitomi when she starts talking. Perhaps someone slipped and pressed delete...

While I'm writing about this movie, I should note that along with the US DVD version (or Canadian DVD, depending which I get for my birthday if I get it), I will be getting the original DVD from Japan, thanks to a female friend of mine who lives in Japan. Nice thing is that I won't have to directly pay for it, but I promised my friend instead that when I get a job soon, I will be buying her some stuff from here in Canada.

I'm excited! This will make the 2nd Japanese Pokemon DVD in my collection (first being a bootleg English subbed version of movie 5)!

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dogasu
    February 15th. The second Master Quest boxed set also comes out on that day.
    Oh, okay.

That's cool!!!

And by the way, thanks, Dogasu! ^_^

Err,I'm confused...

So the screenshots from the japanese version come from the japanese DVD release of the movie and the screenshots of the dub come from the japanese theatrical release?

Anyway,I saw Destiny Deoxys and this was flat out a 'Disaster Movie' similar to other stuff like Twister,Deep Impact,or The Day After Tommorrow.In all of those movies,there really isn't any *good* reason why the Earth is going to get hit with a comet/asteroid or why we're watching people struggling to survive tornados or a global climate shift.In a nutshell,s--t just happens.

And that's exactly what the Deoxys movie was about.I mean,we even had the small group of people banding together to survive,while most of the other people evacuate or are victims of the disaster,and then the obligatory self sacrifice within the small group.(in this case,Rafe and the chubby guy but people in Pokemon don't necessarily die)

Also,in Disaster movies there usually isn't just one major problem,just a bunch of them all rolled into one.In The Day After Tommorrow,first it's the killer hail,then the tornados,then the tsunami,and finally the super cold air that freezes anything on contact.In Destiny Deoxys,first it's Deoxys,then it's Rayquqza,and then finally it's the block robots of LaRousse City.So the movie wasn't supposed to have a central villain IMO.

As for my review,I give it a 7/10.

The Good

Deoxys - Just one kick ass pokemon that has the ability to morph and make copies of itself.

LaRousse City - Along with Deoxys,LaRousse also played a part in making the 7th movie the most sci-fi of the series.Everything was so hi-tech that it sometimes seemed laughable,but in good way.(people don't even need to WALK in LaRousse) I really liked the part where numerous block robots made a bridge from the port to the evacuation boat.Really cool.

Art Design - Some of the scenes in LaRousse looked pretty amazing while Deoxys was searhing for it's companion.The designs for the background,buildings,landscape,etc. all looked nice.

Action - While nothing spectacular,the action scenes were amusing to look at.Stuff blowing up is always good,and Deoxys and Rauquaza fighting was cool overall even if they did use the same attacks over and over again.

The Bad

Inconsistent Animation - Sometimes it was good,sometimes it was bad.But for a movie,the animation really shouldn't fluctuate that much.

CG - The problem when using CG is that it almost has to be executed perfectly for it to work at all.The first scenes of the 4th movie where Celebi is being chased is a pretty good example and I think the 5th movie overall is the best example of using CG.The 7th movie,not so much... Most of the CG scenes didn't look right.

The Playground of Evil - Just a little bit of advice to the producers.If you decide to make a Pokemon short for any upcoming movies,then by all means do so.But don't decide to cram one in right in the middle of the actual movie.The scene where everybody was having fun in the playground felt completely out of place and it just changed the mood and the pacing of the movie way too freakin' much.It was also one of the most crappy animated parts of the movie which makes me think they threw it in there right at the last minute before the film was done.

You are [not] a Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Wow!

I just found out what the special features on the DVD are gonna be!

And here's the link to the site that says what the special features are gonna be (unfortunately, there's no audio commentary though):

http://pokemon.com/destinydeoxys/index2.html

Anyway, out of all of them, I think I'm gonna like the last two the best!

I mean, that "on location with director" thing sounds like it's gonna be just like the "location scouting in Venice" one from Pokemon Heroes, so that's gonna be really cool.

And the "Japanese Poster Art Gallery" thing sounds awesome!

I can't wait to get this DVD!!
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 11th February 2005 at 03:19 AM.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, so *that's* how they're releasing that card. Very nice.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I want that card too!

And it looks really cool!!! ^_^

Hey, I know it's kinda off topic.. a little.. ^^; and Sorta outdated.. But.. Earlier you were talking about the songs in the movie, and the song "This Side of Paradise" Which I'm pretty sure is by Bree Sharp.. Well. I cant find it ANYWHERE! O_O It's like it wasn't even there! It's NOWHERE on the internet. Look yourself if you don't believe me. O_o;; I want that song SO bad! X_X

Blog Entries

Lovely_Kiss_Jynx, I actually download "This Side of Paradise" from someone a while back. I love that song!!!!!! ^_^

And I can send it to you, if you want.

Do you have AIM?

If not, then I could just upload it using Yousendit or Megaupload, and then post a link on here for you.

Oh yeah! I have AIM! =D

My username: GraphixKreator

Weird eh? =P Anyways, thanks!! =D

Blog Entries

You're welcome. ^_^

And I'll add you to my Buddy List.

Trainer

Where do you get the Japanese Versions of the movie? They probably sell it on the Pokemon Center Website for Japan, but I can't read that!

Default Re: "Destiny Deoxys" Review Thread

With the original author's permission, I have been asked to present this video of him giving a review of the movie "Pokemon: Destiny Deoxys".

Now, before I give the link, a few things you should know about this guy.

First off, he doesn't have the best camera in the world, so forgive his low quality video when he cuts to himself. (In fact, he's been known to have audio-sync problems at times.)

Second, he tries to keep the flaming and bashing to a minimum with stuff he's negative about, but he won't shy away from doing creative criticism when he gets to those points. He's also aware that some people may not agree with him, but still wants to give his viewpoint on the movie at hand. In truth, off camera, he's actually a pretty good guy.

Third, this video is actually a part of a collab that is currently going on at another forum called "That Guy With the Glasses Forum". So expect reviews for the other movies from different people to come soon.

That's pretty much all of it. So, with that all out of the way, here's the link.

The Cartoon Hero - Destiny Deoxys Review

Also, anyone who wants to put it up onto YouTube for whatever reason has full permission.

Enjoy and see ya later!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456