REVIEW: "Destiny Deoxys" Review Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Destiny Deoxys" Review Thread

Finished my scene-by-scene comparison, and only found a few more paint jobs.

With several bright effects, it was hard to tell whether the difference was in the material or in the TV reception. This one seemed pretty clear, though.
    I guess they wanted to make this scene look a bit more realistic.
    And the one edit they did for the right reason: fixing a continuity error.
    In the original, we could hear her, but we couldn't see her. She's been put in in the place where later views of the scene (from another angle) show her.

And on another note, 4Kids has just lost the right to use "lip flap" as a catch-all excuse for dialogue changes. They've demonstrated that when they want to, they can change the lip flap. We don't see Satoshi's teeth once in this scene.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Thanks for all the edit-checking, Murg. I'm in the process of obtaining the dub version myself (I should have it in the next 30 minutes or so), so I'll see if I can catch anything else.

By the way, did you have the same trouble I had syncing the two videos up? I just want to confirm my "time elapsing" theory.

Just be glad that you don't have to do edits for, say, One Piece, since edits like the one in this movie occur with the same frequency in like every episode.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Why did they get rid of the shield in that Rayquaza scene? Seriously... what point does that have to any sense of reasoning? Others you could maybe fobb off with usual 4Kidsness...but come on, getting rid of that shield effect must have taken more work than it would to have left it in. Why bother?

And why bother adding Deoxys into that CCTV footage? It looks damn ugly in that paint edit not to mention the fact that even stupid little American Kiddies could figure out that it's Deoxys from the blur - not only is it a logical option, but they SAY it's Deoxys seconds later... -_-...

This is the first movie i've seen the japanese before the dub and i'm damn glad of it. These pointless edits are spoiling some of the artistic prettitiness of the original. The lines I don't really care much about - I don't know what they're saying in Japanese to begin with but these stupid edits... -_-. I just hope they bother with a commentary on the 7th Movie Dub DVD. A proper Commentary mind you, not the crap they did with 4Ever. And maybe, just maybe, they'll explain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    By the way, did you have the same trouble I had syncing the two videos up? I just want to confirm my "time elapsing" theory.
    Yes. Almost every time the movie cut from one scene to the next, a few frames were cut, as well as a few other times I couldn't find a pattern to. The timing was about right that playing the two side by side, with the dub in the active window, a double tap of the space bar (pause-play) at each cut usually brought it back into sync.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I got the English version earlier this morning, so I was able to compare the two side-by-side. After doing so, I'm convinced that there are two versions of this movie, just like there are two versions of the Mewtwo movie (the one with the hand-drawn scenes and the one with the additional CGI).

The reason I say that is because, not only are there more paint edits than either Murg or I thought (I'll post them all later tonight), but the paint edits that are there are really complex. Like changing the brick into cobblestone during the Toh'i helps Plusle/Minun scene. Or the forcefield edits. Or putting Hitomi on top of her Metagross (complete with a little animation). 4Kids does have good digital artists, but I find it hard to believe that they would be able to do the volume of edits they did so well in such a short amount of time.

Also, a scene earlier in the movie stuck out to me. Right before the "Shopping" edit, the scene beforehand where the gang is going down the escalator has an edit as well. On the Japanese DVD, the sign says "B-T Garden." In the dub, it says "LaLuze" (a romanization of LaRousse). The weird thing is is that I distinctly remember seeing "LaLuze" when I saw the movie in Japanese theatres back in July. Assuming that I'm remembering correctly, that would mean that there's a print of the film that was shown in Japanese theatres and used by 4Kids, and then there's a second print made that was put on the DVD. There's still holes in that theory (why would they take Hitomi off her Metagross, thus creating a continuity error, on the "newer" print?), but at the moment it's all I got.

Opinions?

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

It would have to be at least two - I'm certain I didn't see LaLuze anywhere on the DVD. Funny thing was, when I did search for it, I thought that was the place where it should have been...

This is turning out interesting...

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Just a sample of the 68 different paint edits I uploaded screenshots of tonight:

Blastoise's Rapid Spin in the Battle Tower: Japan | USA
    The floor during the "Toh'i saves Minun from a trash can" scene: Japan | USA
    Satoshi against a window in the building where they find water: Japan | USA
    The crowd inside the Epcot Center-looking dome: Japan | USA
    Getting rid of Rayquaza's reflection as it falls: Japan | USA

Wow, these paint edits are really surprising. There's seems to just be too much changed for this to be the work of the American company. I'm sticking to the two-versions theory.

Are there any saved threads from last July that had theatre screenshots (however they were obtained)?

SOOOOONANSU!!

WTH!!!! Why would they remove Rayquaza's reflection?? Doesn;'t that lower the animation quality of the scene?
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

When I was in Japan, I bought the book about the Deoxys movie in the "This is Animation" series. For those of you who don't know what they are, they're these art books that come out shortly after each movie is released that contains hundreds of pictures, intereviews with the staff and crew, production sketches, and behind-the-scenes information.

Well, I looked through this book, and it confirmed my theory that there are two video versions of the film. The picture in the book of Deoxys' entrance is fully colored like it is in the 4Kids version, not the Japanese DVD. Likewise, the font of the word SHOPPING is the same in the book as it is in the 4Kids version.

So it's looking like the Japanese theatrical version and the dub from 4Kids uses one video source, while the Japanese DVD uses another.

Any bets that the Miramax DVD video will be based on the Japanese DVD video?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    Any bets that the Miramax DVD video will be based on the Japanese DVD video?
    No, I don't want to bet that it will be.
    In fact, I'm believing that the Miramax version will be indeed the original theatrical version, to obvious extents (eg. dub track, no Jap. dialogue as usual), because it boasts on the DVD cover:

AN ALL-NEW MOVIE FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN FOOTAGE

We all know (or at least some of us know) that there was no Pikachu short, and normally if there were, the DVD covers would indicate so (since Miramax never showed the Pikachu shorts with the 4Ever and Heroes movies in the theatres), so this MUST be the footage that was used originally in Japanese theatres.

Ah, but that footage was just used for the TV broadcast, making the DVD footage the one that has not been seen before.

Blog Entries

I was wondering, does anyone know what kind of extras are gonna be on the DVD?

And also, does anyone know the exact date the DVD's gonna be released?

I mean, I heard it was coming out sometime this month, but I don't know what day....

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    And also, does anyone know the exact date the DVD's gonna be released?
    February 15th. The second Master Quest boxed set also comes out on that day.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast