REVIEW: "Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym!"

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym!"

My reaction is this.

Elesa? Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. SHUT UP!

If I hear one more electric pun, I'm going to punch my television!

Aww, Ash, your idiocy is showing.... ^.^

I LOVED Tynamo. It really did pack a punch with Tackle. I thought it was funny that Elesa's pokemon were all knocked out in the same way: by slamming into the wall behind her, except the craters in the hall automatically were fixed and so you never saw the other craters on Elesa's side of the battlefield.

Pikachu's tantrum was pretty funny as well. I thought he was about to fire a thunderbolt at Emolga from the stands. I wonder if Ash would have been disquailified if that happened. Anyway, this episode has been the best of the new series so far. I also loved the BG music at the part where Pikachu created that tunnel to lure Tynamo towards him. Does anyone else know if that was in the JP version?
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I don't like how few hits the wins came from, sure you could suggest Palpitoad and Pikachu didn't take much damage from Flame Charge and Tackle respectively, but still the easy defeats when they actually got attacks in seemed really unbalanced.
    I know, right? I watched the episode yesterday, and I was like "Uh, you got like TWO attacks on that thing!" Tynamo was unusually easy to defeat, too, even though it was Elesa's most powerful pokemon. I actually yelled, "OH, COME ON!" at that lame scene... gym battles are for ACTION, not easiness.

Blog Entries

Follow guardian468 on Tumblr Visit guardian468's Youtube Channel

zebstrika.jpg

Awww!! Zebstrika you look soooo cute covered in mud!! x3

追放されたバカ

I didn't understand why Pikachu suddenly had this big problem with not battling in a gym battle. There have been plenty of battles where Pikachu has not participated, it's never shown a problem before.

I think, this time, Ash was intentionally ignoring Pikachu, despite his obvious need for a Pokemon good at getting Ash out of tight spots. I mean, Ash had to think of bringing in Snivy, and totally forgot Pikachu was waiting to be used, so he was pissed.

Same thing happened the second time around when he needed a third Pokemon. Pikachu was about ready to flip a bitch. And he almost did, twice. I mean, had Ash prepared openly for Snivy and some third Pokemon, Pikachu wouldn't have cared as usual. (i.e. Battle against Byron in Sinnoh), but Ash seriously was grabbing at non-existent straws, and Pikachu knew he could be of assistance.

It's just the opportunity was there, and Ash was intentionally ignoring it.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

this episode felt like a 4 kids episode, and omg!!! ash's voice was perfect in this episode
    투 애니원 likes this.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries

Haven't posted in a while.

Anyway, I watched this episode, and Ash's battle just made me cringe at how he prepared for this battle. I get the feeling that the writers really want to disconnect Ash from his past adventures, because surely by now he wouldn't have tried something like relying on one Pokémon for an important battle. That was like relying on my Charizard in Pokémon Red back when I was eight years old.

I can see why Ash would want to give Pikachu a break from battle, since it is perhaps his best Pokémon, but going into battle without a backup plan or reserve Pokémon? Not one of his best showings of skill. Other than that, it was an okay episode.

Disappointed by the fight!
    Part till, Ash pulled Snivy out was fine, but after that just silly!
    Expected more than 1 iron tail kicking Tynamo's ass! Sad!
    Loved Elesa in the games but this was poor!

I'm all for Ash trying to strategize, but come on! Relying solely on Palpitoad? Leaving the rest of his Pokemon at the Center? Pitting Snivy against a female Emolga, forgetting type disadvantage AND gender? Come on, Ash, you can do better than that! All I can say is, thank God for Pikachu and Elesa. They both, in their own way, countered Ash's idiocy.

My White 2 Team

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Snivy still could have fought well despite the disadvantage, imo. As if she couldn't have used Vine Whip to grab Emonga in mid-air and slam it into the ground, or have used Leaf Storm to blow it into the walls or something. Beats the perpetual Pika-pimping, at any rate.

I always look forward to seeing gym battles because even if everything else fails (as it has been the case with BW since its beginning, except for the Underground crisis plot), at least the gym battles offer some kind of excitement and entertainment most of the time.

Well, what can I say about this episode? Calling it a constant up and down is hitting the nail on the head, I guess. The episode started extremely promising when we saw Ash sitting on his bed, trying to think up some a clever strategy. Immediately afterwards,however, we got Cilan's disappointing remark about Ash usually not caring about any sort of strategy. On the one hand, I'm actually grateful for that because it finally confirmed what I have been thinking since the very first episode of BW, namely that Ash must be totally clueless about what he's doing at the moment. No serious training, no plan, no strategy. On the other hand, however, Cilan's line kind of destroyed my excitement over Ash actually making some preparations at last. After all, a little bit of planning is better than nothing, isn't it?

OK, let's move on to the gym battle itself. Again it was an emotional up and down and frankly, I haven't made up my mind yet what to think of this battle. Using Palpitoad (even if I absolutely detest its design) was a brilliant choice and reminded me of Paul's rather pragmatic and well-considered decisions when it comes to choosing the right Pokemon.
    But now begins the ridiculous part: Taking only one Pokemon with him and believing that he would actually get away with this, is so embarrassing and ridiculous, it makes you wonder who Ash thinks he is. Does he want to compare himself to the glorious Cynthia who could beat the whole world by just using Garchomp ?? Isn't that a bit daring and arrogant, Ash? And finally him forgetting what gender his Snivy is, was the straw that broke the camel's back...Seriously, Ash? :eek:

Then again, we got a hilarious scene when it seemed that Pikachu almost got a heart attack because he wanted to battle so much but wasn't allowed to. And this also leads me to the question if you could maybe even detect a hidden message in this episode. At first, it looked like they wanted to convey the following: "Forget about strategy and tactics, I'll do it my way, no matter what". But if you take a closer look, it was quite the other way round! Here's my hypothesis: Pikachu represents the good old Ash, especially the Sinnoh Ash. Thus, Pikachu represents a time when Ash was actually still doing serious training, while his new Pokemon and above all, his happy-go-lucky attitude which he showed during two thirds of today's battle represent the pathetic and sloppy BW Ash.
    And now let's go back to the initial question: He lost with Palpitoad and Snivy because he refused to rely on his experienced Pokemon. After switching in Pikachu, however, things changed all of a sudden. Well, what does that tell us? Pull yourself together, Ash, and bring back your former personality, and fast!

All in all, it was a good episode but that constant change between ridiculous and good scenes was a bit disturbing.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

SOOOOONANSU!!

wait a minute... When the heck did this and the first Elesa episode even air in the US? How did I miss these; I've got Pokemon set to record new episodes whenever they come on, and yet the box hasn't recorded any Pokemon episodes since the battle subway ones.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out -_-. Apparently the STUPID DVR program considers Pokemon Black and White, and Pokemon Black and White: Rival Destinies to be *two different shows*, so my old setup didn't carry over to the new season. *kicks the box*.
    Last edited by Rocketshipper; 1st March 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I must say, modeling must pay well if Elesa can just see her gym destroyed like that and not even wince.

Overall, I loved this episode. The battle was pretty good. I did not expect that Tynamo.

The only thing that really bothered me was the amount of 1 or 2 hit KOs. But that's a small complaint. I did love the fact that Ash finally realized he's been overusing his starters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)