REVIEW: "The Club Battle Finale: A Heroes Outcome!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: "The Club Battle Finale: A Heroes Outcome!"

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "The Club Battle Finale: A Heroes Outcome!"

There was very little that can be called unrealistic with the final matchup; that's not the real issue. The real problem is Iris' semi-final matchup, because THAT was, in some ways, even worse than Pikachu vs Regice. Axew had no on-screen training outside of perfecting Dragon Rage -which only makes learning Outrage at the most convenient time right at the spot even less deserving- and yet still comes out on top without Iris even giving the command. Completely left field just like Drilbur's 99-win streak. Axew ALONE won that battle; Iris did nothing to win.

Not to mention Iris didn't deserve to win the tournament. Iris did very little (if anything at all) to make her deserve to win any sort of tournament. The whole "maybe Iris did lots of off-screen training" excuse doesn't fly. The writers have to do their part to SHOW the characters' growth or it doesn't count.

Iris single-handedly ruined what had huge potential to be an epic tournament -despite the overused running gags- with some good battles and great rivals to boot.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 19th November 2011 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer_Gabriel View Post
    Iris single-handedly ruined what had huge potential to be an epic tournament -despite the overused running gags- with some good battles and great rivals to boot.
    Hey, blame the writers and not the characters they write.

Plus, there are a lot of factors that drove this arc to the ground other than Iris. Bad gags, rushed battles, time constraints, little character development and overall bad writing. If the arc took it's time and set things up better, we wouldn't have so many problems.

Not to mention that Axew learning Outrage was no different than other Pokemon learning more out of nowhere. Why single this one out?

I don't hate Iris but she could've been so much better. If she was a girl who liked to act tough and brag only to get her comeuppance, I'd be fine. Finer if the writers used this to develop her. At least let her bad traits mellow out over the episodes. It's like the writers just don't care anymore.
    Last edited by matt0044; 19th November 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Blog Entries

*Shrugs*

It's w/e at this point. This victory just came across as forced. They had her beat him to "justify" her catchphrase. I think writers missed their chance to change a bit of the dynamics between the two. A loss here for Iris might have made her grow up a little. But instead they opted to have Ash lose, who has already lost quite a bit prior to this.

"Pikachu's about to hit the wall."

*watches as Excadrill's Focus Blast slams Pikachu into the wall*

ASH HAS PREMONITIONS ABOUT THE FUTURE!

Okay, stupid jokes aside, again I thought this a really great ending to a flawed but enjoyable tournament. Ash's battle with Iris was nicely animated and rousing, as was Cilan's ''Battle'' with Burgundy. I liked how Cilan was borrowing a few of Burgundy's french lines to calm her down. Interesting how Georgia spotted Axew's Outrage attack before Iris seemed to. Hope that's touched on in later eps with her.

And people, Ash lost in a completely legitimate and respectful way. Really, lets take a look at how much a ''loser'' Ash has been in this tournament.

1.Starts off using a Poke he's never used before, everyone knows that's for chumps.
    2.Got matched up against two pokes who he had a type disadvantage against, one of which has been show multiple times to be extremely powerful.
    3.Thought up strategies to get out of tight spots and to hit harder.

Yep, Ash really has sunk down this gen. Quick being such a loser bro.

Blog Entries

I just loved Iris' line when she was being interviewed, because of how completely and utterly inaccurate it was.

"I guess this proves I've been training hard", or something to that effect. It was "These are the fruits of my hard training" in the subbed version.

..........WAT
    Last edited by Masurao; 19th November 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

This was a decent episode. Just glad to see the Club Tournament over. I swear, Hearthome Tag Battles are way more interesting than this.

I wasn't really paying attention to the battle because I was preparing breakfast, but I do agree that Iris had a cheap loss. She obviously had the upper hand.

I'm also getting tired of the running gags used over and over again. At first, I enjoyed Bianca and Zorua, but now I'm just plain sick of it.
    Shinneth and Hitomi like this.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I'd have been totally OK with this episode if it weren't for the unforgivable amount of stock footage they used for the final bout of the tournament. While I'm glad Excadrill got a battle and a win, the fact that they squandered Tamagawa's skills was a huge letdown.
    Really don't know why they've been resorting to that tactic so much this series, especially when they've weeded out most of the crap ADs at this point.
    Winterdaze and Likeitornot. like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Axew and Iris move one level up on the badass, meter loved Outrage ^_^

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was distracted by my mom for a good chunk of the episode, but I did notice how fast the battles prior to Ash/Iris went and how amazingly fucking bullshit Iris/Luke was. Axew, a goddamn baby, learning the most powerful physical Dragon-type move out of nowhere AND getting it right on the first go (yeah, let's just forget how many episodes it took for the goddamn thing to learn Dragon Rage!). What's next, Draco Meteor? Roar of Time? Spacial Rend? Anything otherwise would be all downhill from there, wouldn't it? Why couldn't it just have evolved to Fraxure instead? It still would've been a cheap win, but at least I could suspend my disbelief a little better and accept that convenience.

So was it implied that Ash knew Iris would be using Excadrill for the final battle? Ash had to send out his Pokemon first, so once he sent Pikachu, there was nothing he could really do to help his situation. To Ash's credit, he did put up a hell of a fight for being so horrendously nerfed (the rare instance of a type advantage working in this series and it STILL manages to piss me off), but other than trying to make do with Iron Tail, I didn't see much of a strategy going on for either side. With Ash it's understandable because he can only do so much with two very ineffective moves (at least Electric-type attacks could be used for interrupting energy-based attacks), Iris just had the ball in her court from the beginning, and when your final battle in a tournament is a foregone conclusion, then the writers are doing it wrong. Iris had no fucking strategy whatsoever, it was just barrage with attacks until the yellow rat went down. That combined with the abuse of repeated animation frames just made this final battle a bust.

And no, I am not assuming Iris did any training off-screen. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the way DP did things, but nowadays I like seeing supposed protagonists actually WORK for their damn rewards. Besides that, what point was there in Iris winning? I didn't feel happy for her; the final segments of the episode just felt wrong. All I feel is bitterness from a waste of potential this 4-episode arc was, marred with crappy or rushed battles, DEMs, and jokes that were ruthlessly run into the ground.

At least Cilan and Burgundy weren't utterly ruined with the trainwreck that tore everyone else's credibility apart. That's about the only nice thing I can say for this episode... and the whole arc, honestly. Thank god it's over.

I gotta look over the Hearthome Tag Battle arc again and ask myself what happened repeatedly now.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

The thing that really strikes me the most is when Ash told Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Excadrill and said that the first move will win it, but then he said that it was a sign that Pikachu was ready to win.

That is complete and total BULL CRAP. Ash, you are such a loser, just admit that you forgot that ground types aren't affected by electric-type moves already, and that you really thought it would work. None of that, 'that was just a sign,' crap.

Anyway, Axew learning Outrage was pretty unbelievable, but it sure beat Golett's metallic butt into the ground. Tré cool. Oh, and mi likie French Cilan, he sounds really cool, at least to someone that wouldn't know fake French from the real thing.
    Hidden Mew likes this.
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I noticed that the whole arc's worth is inversely proportional to Jimmy Ray's screentime: the less he appears, the crappier the Club Battle episode will be, kyu. Just imagine the awesomeness it would be if Jimmy Ray was in the finals instead of Ash or Iris.

All-in-all, this arc wasn't that bad, kyu. It had flaws, but it wasn't the worst thing ever. (Don't.) Here's hoping we get another, less clusterfucky Club Battle tournament in the future, kyu.
    Hidden Mew, Hitomi and Shinneth like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

追放されたバカ

Did Luke's Golett learn a new move off-screen? Let's count...Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch, Mega Punch, Double Team, Gyro Ball?!

Why is nobody harping on that discrepancy?

That's more unrealistic than Axew's Outrage or Iris winning the tourney.

Iris and Axew are at least seen training once in a while.

When does Luke, who is a film maker, train his co-director Pokémon to use a new move while making a documentary, battling in said documentary, and protecting Zorua from Bianca?

How about that for a isshuXD nobody realized because Iris haters focus on Iris?

(I'm just walking away...)

AAAHHH and finally these ridicules don shit tournament is over,I hope they never do it again (unless they change the writers )

and again pikachu loses,I dont have any problem with iris winning,but...I just can't understand why pikachu is losing over and over and over again ?!? I feel like they want us to hate him.

I wish we would never see another silly gathering of the characters,because its too much for us to see the worst of every single character in one episode. this is like a punishment.
    Caseydia and Trainer Gabriel like this.

********PIKACHU I LOVE U************

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Hey, blame the writers and not the characters they write.
    You can look at it that way, but then we might as well drop all the ongoing debate topics and just blame the writers for everything we dislike, shouldn't we?

Plus, there are a lot of factors that drove this arc to the ground other than Iris. Bad gags, rushed battles, time constraints, little character development and overall bad writing. If the arc took it's time and set things up better, we wouldn't have so many problems.
    I, personally, didn't mind most of those too much (at least not to the point where they would have ruined the whole tourney).

- Bad gags? Didn't really mind those, unlike most. A minor nuisance, anyway.
    - Rushed battles? Not the first time we've had those, and the writers can only do so much in four episodes. Extending the tourney isn't a necessary option either.
    - Time constraints? See above.
    - Character development? I'll give you that one, but the one character who needed that more than anyone else was... Iris (which actually furthers my point than anything else). Instead of spending all of her time outside of battles bickering with Georgia -which by itself is still a good thing to build her chemistry with her rival- why not take some time here to develop her character to make up for the lack of it up to this point?

All of those points pale in comparison to Iris winning a whole tournament when she did nothing to deserve it. She had no on-screen training (aside from training Axew with Scraggy, which is done more for comic relief than anything else and not enough to earn Axew any legit wins) and had an Emolga that did whatever she wanted until she just decided to listen to Iris just because it was a convenient time for Iris. There was zero foreshadowing or development leading up to this victory. So why go that route?

Not to mention that Axew learning Outrage was no different than other Pokemon learning more out of nowhere. Why single this one out?
    Because unlike other Pokemon when they pulled new moves from nowhere, they didn't just get an insta-win; they still had to fight their way to victory. When Squirtle learned Hydro Pump, when Noctowl learned Confusion, or when Buizel learned Water Pulse, they didn't just plow through their opponents until they were KO'ed, they still had to put in some effort to win. With Axew, as soon as he learned Outrage, he just effortlessly pummels Golett with no struggle and without Iris giving the command, as I already mentioned. Another reason why that was an undeserving win: Iris did not actually win that battle; Axew, and Axew alone, did that. Instead, Iris just stands there watching Axew pound Golett while commenting on what he's doing without doing her job as Axew's trainer.

Also as I already mentioned (how much of my post did you actually read?), the real issue is how Axew was able to effortlessly learn one of the most powerful Dragon-type moves -and at the most convenient time, no less- when it took a lot of time and effort just trying to perfect Dragon Rage. Not to mention Axew winning his first real battle and has never been shown to be very good at battles at all in the first place. Too good to be true, if you ask me.

I don't hate Iris but she could've been so much better. If she was a girl who liked to act tough and brag only to get her comeuppance, I'd be fine. Finer if the writers used this to develop her. At least let her bad traits mellow out over the episodes. It's like the writers just don't care anymore.
    She just needs proper development, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Muk-a-matic View Post
    Did Luke's Golett learn a new move off-screen? Let's count...Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch, Mega Punch, Double Team, Gyro Ball?!

Why is nobody harping on that discrepancy?
    Uh, because Luke is not a main character and therefore can't be expected to have on-screen development (not like how they do, anyway). Otherwise, everyone's victories outside of those who are in the main cast would automatically be non-legitimate. And you're assuming Golett learned most of those moves just prior to the Club Battle Tourney, or acting like it pulled those moves during a battle at the most convenient time.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 19th November 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I still don't mind the fact that Iris won, probably because no body really expected her to win from the start. Her VS Luke win, however, brings back Haruka's-Zenigame/Eevee-learns-a-new-move-at-the-last-second memories. Her sudden character derailment is also a bad bonus.

This episode is just another testament to the wish that Akihiro Tamagawa should really be the series's top animation director. I seriously love his character designs, especially the way he draws the characters' eyes! His animation is really a breath of fresh air considering the other animation directors use the boring carbon-copy Sugimori character designs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast