REVIEW: "Cilan Versus Trip, Ash Versus Georgia!" Review Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Cilan Versus Trip, Ash Versus Georgia!" Review Thread

Default Re: "Cilan Versus Trip, Ash Versus Georgia!" Review Thread

"And yeah, you totally won't get stronger by learning anything worthwhile about watching other people battle. Nice fucking logic there, Trip. "

Well, how would he get any stronger by just WATCHING battles? I think it's a smart logic. Training is the only way to get stronger in my opinion.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uhh... no. Just, no.

Training is not the only way to become stronger. The series itself shows a variety of ways of becoming a better trainer. Many times.

Observation of other trainers, studying their techniques and how they train their Pokemon, studying via reading, exercise, and various other methods also serve the same purpose. There are many examples of this being shown in past series. Ash even learned some valuable lessons from Bertha of the Sinnoh E4 before they battled.

If you draw your inspiration from only one source, you're limiting yourself and your capabilities. By opening yourself to other methods that can only be learned by observing others, you become a more well-rounded trainer.

Trip is a newbie. He should be taking every opportunity to learn as much as he can, especially since he was booted out the Don Battle so early on. He's only stunting his own growth by snubbing the rest of the world.

Shit logic. Trip has it.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Not a good episode at all.

The battles weren't anything special and it's difficult to get into them when I'm not seeing everything. Have they not learnt a thing from their mistake with May and Solidad's showdown? But even so, thank Arceus Cilan defeated Trip. Finally, an onscreen loss for Mr. Gary Stu! As I thought though, it didn't seem to bother him much. Man, he's so boring, even seeing him lose isn't satisfying. I only hope this is the beginning of a long losing streak for him and he gradually gets more and more angry each time he appears. That would at least make him entertaining in SOME way.

Did I miss an episode? Why is Emolga obeying Iris now? Dammit, about the only thing making Iris the tiniest bit bearable earlier in the series was, despite all her annoying superhuman powers and personality flaws, she couldn't battle for toffee and even had a record TWO Pokemon disobeying her. Now she's a competent battler without any explanation, thus perfect in every way? Sigh, I actually didn't mind Emolga before this, but if she's suddenly lost her bitchiness just to make Iris win, I can't help hating her, too. I'm going to pretend the only reason Emolga obeyed was seeing the large crowd of people, and she wanted to show off to them.

I got a great feeling of Déjà vu watching this episode. When are they going to realize "Running Gag" doesn't have "Into The Ground" in the middle of it? Bianca chasing after Zorua, people mispronouncing Stephan's name and of course, Iris' crappy attitude; saw it all in the previous episode. The only funny part was Burgundy and her rage at Cilan, the rest was somewhat depressing. I'm beginning to see why others disliked this arc so much. Better buckle up for Round 3...
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 5th November 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Who is this git?

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torterra Trainer View Post
    I've never seen Rock Slide before, is that how it always was?
    Eh, kinda. The only other time I remember that move being used was by a wild Magcargo (one larger than normal) that bashed against a rocky hill to loose some boulders from the top, IIRC.

I guess this is more of a new version of Rock Slide- although it seems a little too similar to Rock Tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Trip is a newbie. He should be taking every opportunity to learn as much as he can, especially since he was booted out the Don Battle so early on. He's only stunting his own growth by snubbing the rest of the world.
    And yet, unfortunately, he's going to be as overpowered as ever when he battles Ash despite what he does and doesn't deem necessary to improve. I can only hope that maybe he'll learn from this later to finally give him some much needed development.

THE Queen Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

Maybe not the best episode but I was pleased to see our main characters interact nicely with recurring characters. I especially loved seeing Burgundy get all angry over Cilan winning against Trip. It was so funny and made the episode worth watching. I also enjoyed the antics of Bianca looking for Zorua, and how Stephan and Ash were stuffing their faces with food. Glad to see the characters having some fun!

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Paperhorse View Post
    Maybe not the best episode but I was pleased to see our main characters interact nicely with recurring characters. I especially loved seeing Burgundy get all angry over Cilan winning against Trip. It was so funny and made the episode worth watching. I also enjoyed the antics of Bianca looking for Zorua, and how Stephan and Ash were stuffing their faces with food. Glad to see the characters having some fun!
    My Mustardshipping creys

Anyway I liked this episode also!

The whole purpose of this tournament is to have the main characters battle the reoccurring ones that they wouldn't battle with on normal circumstances. At other times, the anime makes it very clear who is who's rival. Ash has Trip, Cilan has Burgundy and Iris has Georgia. They also threw in some other characters to show their interactions on and off the battlefield.

Anyway, I think people are forgetting that this is a cartoon meant for children. Kids like repetition and the show is always going to have running gags no matter what. Always has, always will.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Two things I liked in this episode - Zebstrika and Burgundy. Which amounts to about 2 minutes of the 22 that I could stand watching; the rest was just boring, repetitive and badly written.

Iris' first battle getting 3 seconds and having Emolga be suddenly perfect means the show just ignored one of the few plotlines Iris had going. Now that Emolga can just flip into serious battle mode - the time up to now was wasted developing a personality that now is broken. Considering it was the generic background battle, why not Axew? At least there was some slight justification for Axew's growing strength, but Emolga has disobeyed from the start and not shown any real battling skills beyond dodging and using Volt Switch. Terrible writing.

Cilan annoyed me here - I'm a huge fan of Cilan, but stopping everything around him for a good minute of babbling on mid-battle is really annoying. A few comments as he goes is fine, perhaps have them talk afterward, but if I were Trip (besides jumping off a bridge) I'd have just kept on calling out attacks, why stop for someone to judge you? Another cheap win doesn't help; Dwebble should have lost that. I found the Pokedex amusing, simply because it had to explain it in a way that wasn't 'Gurdurr holds a Girder' - I would have liked an explanation of how on earth evolving turns Timber into a Girder; if one evolves mid-battle do they have to run off and find a metal rod? In short - illogical pokemon has illogical loss.

Ash also deserves to lose, calling out the same attack after it failed miserably the first time is literally insane; and considering Snivy's back story is supposed to be that it ran away from a weak trainer, that's two plotlines killed off in one episode! If I were Snivy (besides hurrying up and evolving) I'd be hitting Ash with one of those Vine Whips to point out what an idiot he is.

Zorua got annoying the second time around - they were literally the same jokes; right down to the puppet routine on Georgia. It was fine last episode, but they could have at least tried to mix things up the second time around.

I was looking forward to this episode after last week, I just hope the battles improve slightly next week or it will be another long half hour.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I always remember the indiginanty of Watchog Man losing so easily. It was rather disappointing, and he had such an awesome name too! That name deserves to win. Also, since when is Emolga so obedient and flawless, hm?
    When Dwebble uses retreat, his motions and the noises he makes reminds me of Zoidberg, so much.
    Burgundy was the one of the few highlights in this dim episode. Her outrage is so hilarious, that at one stage I couldn't even hear what she was saying. Also, she's a Ninja. How she got into the Hotel room completely unnoticed is amazing. It deserves a whole side episode of explanation and hilarity.
    Trip, your training is one word: Basic. People learn from watching others!
    Ash's "It's comeback time!" Oh dear, it's even affecting him?
    Kenyan's the man. That is all.

Other than that, the battles were very disappointingly put. And Iris doesn't know when to give up herself, sometimes with Langley. Her voice even goes up a few octives in anger too. I mean, Burgundy styles fury with hilarity and class. Iris... doesn't.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgement, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

I don't really understand why people think Iris's skills as a battler are unfounded. She, given the confusing timeline in the anime, could have been training longer than Ash has. And Emolga was never disobeyed Iris like Excadrill did, or Charizard did with Ash. She was just lazy, and didn't like fights she couldn't win easily.

I think its because Iris did so little battling in the first 30 or so eps of BW, that people thought she was an inexperienced battler. She had a baby Axew and two pokemon that didn't listen to her. Now, in the blink of a tournament, she seems like a very experienced and strong trainer.

Blog Entries

Yeah, so watching this, this is coming from watching everything else up to this point that I missed. I'll do reviews on those later, but as for this episode...um.

That's all I can say. Was there really a point to Cilan beating Trip? Why is Iris's Emolga suddenly listening to her perfectly? Why are most of these battles so short? Why is Trip so damn bland and "basic"? Why doesn't he want to learn anything when he's a goddamn rookie? Why do they expect me to care about Bitch 1 and Kinda Bitchy 2 (Georgia and Iris) they're both so damn mean they deserve each other. Why are they running this Zorua thing into the ground?

The battles were better than last week's though, so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    Anyway, I think people are forgetting that this is a cartoon meant for children. Kids like repetition and the show is always going to have running gags no matter what. Always has, always will.
    No, I don't think anyone's forgetting that this is a kids show. The problem is not the concept of running gags themselves, but how they are handled. Past series had plenty of running gags that were pulled off well and served their purpose.

The problem with BW's gags is that they're being used way too often with a short frame of time. They're abused to the point that they no longer become funny and instead become a chore to watch because somehow the writers suddenly have no concept of moderation.

In general, their writing suffers from a lack of moderation. Everything they do in BW is always far off on one end of the spectrum or the other. Those kinds of extremes, when used as often as they are here, can become grating and pointless even though they initially started out as legitimately funny gags.

So no, it's not the running gags themselves that are the problem. How they're being relentlessly abused is the problem, and honestly the fact that it's a kids show shouldn't be an excuse for aspects of this show to get sloppy.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

So, who battled who again?

[/trollface]

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
    So, who battled who again?

[/trollface]
    Jimmy Ray and his awesome Watchog did. Shame we didn't get to see this legendary match. :{
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast