REVIEW: "Cilan Takes Flight!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: "Cilan Takes Flight!"

Blog Entries

Default "Cilan Takes Flight!"

BW67 - Cilan Takes Flight!

While arriving in Mistralton City, Ash, Iris and Cilan go to the Mistralton Gym in order for Ash to have his 6th gym battle. After waiting in a queue, Ash learns that he has to reserve a time for his battle and so gets a slot for the afternoon. The Gym Leader Skyla shortly arrives and starts to battle her morning challengers, however it turns out that all the battles are decided by what she thinks the results will be after seeing the challengers' Pokémon! Outraged by the thought of such "battles", Ash and Cilan tell Skyla of this and Skyla even accepts a challenge by Cilan to a real battle even though Skyla predicts that he'll lose. Will Skyla be right in her prediction?

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Cilan Takes Flight!"

Episode was good of course, her "Air Battles" remind me of the games where you can predict how to win like the Battle Arcade in the Battle Frontier of Platinum and HG/SS. When your 3 Pokemon and the Pokemon of your opponent shows up on a screen and mentally, I know I'm not the only one to do this; predict how the battle will go.

As for the battle, he should have been using Rock Slide to make it harder for her Pokemon to dodge, but in most cases she didn't give commands or her Pokemon just stood there and took the attacks.

Pansage was pretty much the fall-guy. Now would have been a good time for Rock Tomb to have been in its move-set you know? Wish Swanna was that good in the games! Poor Stunfisk, will it ever get a win?

A pretty strong ep, dubbed well. I liked Skyla's voice, suited the laid back, almost careless attitude of hers. Seeing her pretty much just shrug off Cilan's antics was pretty amusing. And jeez, Cilan, don't take it so hard, she had plot armor.

Poor Stunfisk still hasn't gotten a win though, but again, Cilan, plot armor.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I'm still not sure about Skyla's voice, I do get how it's kinda fitting for her character, but it is a bit annoying. I can't think how to put it other than it reminding me slightly of how Misty's sisters were dubbed and given that airhead sounding personality.

The main thing that stood out is how they seemed not to actually point out the main reason why 'air battles' don't make sense - the otherwise drilled into us idea that type advantage isn't everything, yet there was next to no mention of it. Ash just calling the idea 'boring' is hardly a well reasoned argument against it, from someone who has constantly beaten the odds on type matchups, you'd think he could actually say something about that? Cilan kinda mentioned it, but only in the context of the shell smash stat boost.

Beyond that, the battle was set up to basically forget the fact Cilan was the Grass-type Gym leader, and while it's bad seeing Stunfisk go down so easily, it's worse seeing the Pokemon he supposedly would have trained up to reach Gym Leader level be defeated in a minute. It's also bad that while Crustle got defeated trying to use Shell Smash, it wasn't because of the inherent risk of that move, just a matter of Skyla having noticed his strategy. Of course if Cilan had more than one strategy when using Crustle that might help.

Something else a bit strange is the idea that Skyla had never met another Gym leader - I don't get this aspect of the anime, the idea that somehow Gym leaders live in bubbles and don't know anything about eachother. It's bad enough that Gym leaders don't have to successfully beat other Gyms to become a leader, but you'd think at the very least they would occasionally see eachother, or even train together. More reason why it's a shame that it sounds like the anime will fumble the World Tournament idea and not include (m)any Gym leaders.

Likewise, when a lot of the filler episodes about the Cerulean and Pewter Gyms were based on the premise of being shut down over minor violations of a Gym code of some variety, you'd think that it wouldn't be up to Ash and Cilan to be convincing someone to have Gym battles.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Lol, I just noticed. When Skyla introduces her Swanna... Skyla's Japanese voice can be heard.

Anyway, it was indeed a very well dubbed episode. Skyla and Cilan's cockiness had a unique flavor in the dub :P
    Last edited by Adyniz; 23rd June 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Roark View Post
    Lol, I just noticed. When Skyla introduces her Swanna... Skyla's Japanese voice can be heard.
    I actually doubt that was an error, it seems to me that they combined Swanna's original voice with an English one.

Also, on the subject of pokemon voices.....is it just me, or does dub Stunfisk grunts of pain....actually.....really sound painful?

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    I actually doubt that was an error, it seems to me that they combined Swanna's original voice with an English one.
    I guess you didn't read my post properly.

I said:

Blog Entries

Does the QR code from Ash's dex go anywhere?
    djulienr likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Anyone else notice the parallels to that boy from Pokemon Tech? Or the Scizor trainer from Johto? (Found in the eps "The School of Hard Knocks" and "Wired for Battle" respectively. There, I've gotten the source material out of the way.) I guess the new Poke-fans needed an ep of their own to show that simulated battles are useless compared to the real thing.
    djulienr likes this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

If Brock was still travelling with Ash, this episode would've ended a lot differently. And began a lot differently. Nice flight outfit, Skyla.

Blog Entries

Oh, here's another parallel to a previous ep: Skyla had a little bit of Flannery in her, in that she had inherited the gym from her grandfather, but wasn't living up to his standards. At least this grandpa was more straightforward with his concerns.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

"Cilan Takes Flight!" is a most favorite episode of mine, especially out of the English versions. I admire how the voice actor of Cilan is really convincing in this episode. Cilan is sooo sexy when he is mad! XD So even he has his dark side. I admire how he confronted Skyla and then formally challenged her in a classy way.<3 He really held up his pride for his gym leader title.(: I see Satoshi is still determined regardless of Cilan's loss. Looking forward to more episodes likes this. In fact, I'm going to go watch this again now. Well done!(:
    Last edited by CherryXCilan; 1st July 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    PockyAddict likes this.

Oh my god Cilan. XD He's borrowing his brothers rage when dealing with Skyla.

Also Skyla's REALLY obnoxious. Like to the point I want to punch her. :I
    martianmister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    Does the QR code from Ash's dex go anywhere?
    Lol I was wondering the same thing.
    djulienr likes this.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sheesh, that sure is a lot of challengers for the Mistralton Gym at one time. Are there really generally that many everyday? Is there something special about that gym or what?

I did like that we got to see a different side to a gym leader; now there's an original idea before a challenge. I of course was also reminded of game players when it came to Skyla's method. I guess it's nice to see references like that pop up once in a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)