REVIEW: BW116: "Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!" - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: BW116: "Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BW116: "Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!"

For once, I'll let my nostalgia run wild and say that this was fun to have happen.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    She looks more girlish or "doll-like" in those flashbacks compared to the Kanto shots. Especially that one image where she looks like she's staring blankly ahead.
    She just looks younger and like an actual 10 year old.
    Eh...Misty/Kasumi looks so lifeless there, though. Like the animators weren't even trying to make her stand out. Well, at least they've shown her, and I'm thankful for that much. Some characters look fine (like Brock, Damian, and Pikachu), but others I'm not feeling like they did too well myself. I'll have to actually watch this episode thoroughly, but I didn't get a good feel from that article (though Dogasu said they pretty much picked the worst images from the flashback and made a compilation of them in that article). I'll give it another chance.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 10th March 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    She looks more girlish or "doll-like" in those flashbacks compared to the Kanto shots. Especially that one image where she looks like she's staring blankly ahead.
    Eh...Misty/Kasumi looks so lifeless there, though. Well, at least they've shown her, and I'm thankful for that much. Some characters look fine (like Brock, Damian, and Pikachu), but others I'm not feeling like they did too well myself.
    I think you're thinking that she appeared lifeless because she didn't show much movement and expression in the shots, when it's just because she didn't have a single chance to flesh her personality out and get much attention like usual. She stayed in the background. The focus was on Charizard and on Ash, so I didn't expect much emotion from other characters.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 10th March 2013 at 07:06 PM.

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The fact that they re-animated those old scenes just goes to show that this flashback was lovingly done. I loved every second of this episode. Misty and Brock and that scene of Ash with his Pokemon in the cave ;_;

I think Misty looked really cute, the only reason anyone doubted Misty was cute was because of they poor animation during her time on the show. This and AG proves that she's every bit as kawaii.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think AG Ash stood out the most in terms of his appearances. It still probably my favorite outfit he wears. His BW outfit, and his Kanto are probably his worst.

Looking back it makes me also wish the Charizard/Articuno battle was animated by Iwane.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eh...Misty/Kasumi looks so lifeless there, though. Well, at least they've shown her, and I'm thankful for that much. Some characters look fine (like Brock, Damian, and Pikachu), but others I'm not feeling like they did too well myself.
    I think you're thinking that she appeared lifeless because she didn't show much movement and expression in the shots, when it's just because she didn't have a single chance to flesh her personality out and get much attention like usual. She stayed in the background. The focus was on Charizard and on Ash, so I didn't expect much emotion from other characters.
    That's probably it. Regardless, this was a nice episode all-in-all, and I did enjoy it despite the animation updates.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just find it amusing how many animations errors there were. Mixing up Pidgeotto with Pidgeot reminds me of all those dub errors 4kids made back in the first season. :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking View Post
    FYI, newer episodes are still hand-drawn. They're just digitally colored.
    Well, I think they did a pretty bad job animating it, regardless of that fact. Why did they use the Unova Joy for the older arcs Joy? Why does Misty look like a doll with no personality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The Nurse Joy in this episode healed the Charmander that got hurt during its performance in the Kanto Fair. The Kanto Nurse Joy was only seen from behind, looking just as she should.

Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome episode.. Just tears remain in my eyes on seeing those flashbacks.. Re-animated or not - who cares..,, am happy that i got to see good old Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgeotto.. Mostly i liked those flashbacks from "Snow way out".. Also that ep when Ash left Charizard in Charicific valley reminds me how both of them are connected better than any trainer and pokemon pair showed in the anime..
    Love to see it fighting again.. I think it would have won against Dragonite.. Even it took Dragon rush head on without breaking a sweat and also landed a straight hit Dragon tail making Dragonite injured(it was holding its hand at the end).. Animation looks more like Iron tail except its glowing blue..

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just find it amusing how many animations errors there were. Mixing up Pidgeotto with Pidgeot reminds me of all those dub errors 4kids made back in the first season. :p
    Yeah, I'm not denying 4Kids made plenty of stupid errors. It would take me a long time to make a list of them all. At least 7 pages worth of them. The thing people seem to ignore is that TPCi has also made plenty of errors in the dub. Are they as numerous as 4Kids were? Not even close, but definitely still very much present. My point being both dubs have had their share of mistakes.

(The mortifyingly obvious difference between the dubs in my case being the voice acting in late Battle Frontier until the end of Diamond and Pearl).

Quote Originally Posted by 투 애니원 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking View Post
    FYI, newer episodes are still hand-drawn. They're just digitally colored.
    Well, I think they did a pretty bad job animating it, regardless of that fact. Why did they use the Unova Joy for the older arcs Joy? Why does Misty look like a doll with no personality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The Nurse Joy in this episode healed the Charmander that got hurt during its performance in the Kanto Fair. The Kanto Nurse Joy was only seen from behind, looking just as she should.
    Yeah, I'm already aware of that. Dogasu already told me that Silktree mentioned this a few pages ago.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 10th March 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually didn't even realize how much Damian was changed till I saw an old-screen shot of him. Really, without purposefully comparing the screens, only Ash's new eyes really seem like a major change. And it ruins my theory that he simply got contacts between DP and Best Wishes. :(

These flashbacks may not be as good looking as the old episodes (the older style has its charm, especially with the lighting), but it's not like they didn't put any effort into them considering they could just as easily throw in decades old footage and call it a day.
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Duel Monsters Sengoku!

An original Yu-Gi-Oh Fanfic! Join Yuto Masamune and his Imperial Monster Patch-Eye Dragon as they take on Sengoku Academy!

Current Chapter -Turn 2: One-Eyed Duelist, One-Eyed Dragon! Impress Summon, [Patch-Eye Dragon]!

Yuto continues his Duel against Shisa, a delinquent who calls himself a "Chain Duelist!". Just then, as Shisa's strong offense and defense overwhelms Yuto, a new type of summon occurs!

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    I actually didn't even realize how much Damian was changed till I saw an old-screen shot of him. Really, without purposefully comparing the screens, only Ash's new eyes really seem like a major change. And it ruins my theory that he simply got contacts between DP and Best Wishes. :(

These flashbacks may not be as good looking as the old episodes (the older style has its charm, especially with the lighting), but it's not like they didn't put any effort into them considering they could just as easily throw in decades old footage and call it a day.
    True. We have to give credit where credit is due.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Something that is vaguely interesting is that the scene with the Kanto Nurse Joy doesn't reflect the original episode - the shot was from above instead of a pan in front.

Note how thin Pikachu fits through the bars on the bed...

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They couldn't use the old scenes without upscaling them to HD. I actually can't remember the last episode that used actual clips from old episodes instead of new still screens and such.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Speaking of older scenes i don't have much to object about Misty in there. I see some say she looks "too cute" or "lifeless", but objectively speaking she was always cute not being ugly last time i checked. Writers only upgraded older scenes to HD format showing previous characters in more clearer way with higher resolution to fit today standards.

Also regarding "lifeless" Misty acted exact same in flashbacks like she did in older scenes from such episodes. She wasn't emotionless, she simply wasn't center of attention at that exact moments with episode being focused on Charizard past and development he went through while writers displaying opponents he fought against, friends which stood on Ash side during his journey and challenges good old lizard went through.

Either way reanimated scenes and few changes such as way Charmander was caught didn't took away from enjoyment and nostalgia i experienced when diving into show history and simpler, more original(get the pun?) days.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast