REVIEW: BW108 "Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS. Pikachu!!" - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: BW108 "Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS. Pikachu!!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW108 "Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS. Pikachu!!"

Let's be honest here. Did anyone expect Virgil not to win?

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Let's be honest here. Did anyone expect Virgil not to win?
    Virgil didn't bother me. Sure, it would have been better if it was Dino instead of Virgil, but that's still fine by me.
    However, I sure as hell did not expect Ash to lose against Kotetsu.
    Guy_Spy likes this.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    From where did Kotetsu's Watchog come from?
    Didn't he refer to Riolu as his last Pokemon in 107 and how he thought that a full battle means 5 VS 5, or did I misunderstand?
    No you didn't. He went in with just five then, thinking that full battles were 5v5. He had figured it out by the time he battled Virgil. Not that it helped much anyway...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

It annoys me slightly that the best possible team one could have come to the Unova League with was apparently... team Eeveelution. Should have given the win to someone with a more diverse team, like Dino.
    H.M likes this.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

That Watchog is just the cherry on the fucking cake of a terrific episode. BW's had a huge huge problem with showing us jack shit when it comes to rivals' teams. We've seen like 3 pokemon from pretty much everyone other than Shooti. They only gave us 5 from Cameron in his battle, sure cool whatever. He's an idiot, we get it. But then, when they're just showing his knocked out pokemon on the scoreboard, they could have given him absolutely any pokemon as his 6th. Anything. And they gave him the evolution of the rat. How clever and exciting. Give the kid something half decent. Sure it would have sucked to have not seen a pokemon of his battle if it was something cool, and I'm sure not many people care they missed out on seeing a Watchog fight a bit more, but it's just so lame. There are tons of cool pokemon in Unova, they could have given him something half decent even though we'd never see it.

Unless he only ever had 5 pokemon thinking that was a full team all along, and just went out the night before his battle with Virgil and caught the first shitty pokemon he could find.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

And so we finally draw to a close the Unova league arc.

And good effing riddance.

So they couldn't even give Ash the dignity to tie with Lucario? Someone give the writers an Emmy for the title of "Outstanding Failure in Writing for an Animated Series", assuming Captain N The Game Master doesn't win it every year by default.

I couldn't figure out what the heck everyone is saying, but does Ash ever acknowledge he only placed in the Top 8 this time? It's one thing to lose to a couple of legenderies or to a full team of six Pokemon used by an established skilled trainer. But this time, he and his six Pokemon lost to a spazzy, incompetent kid's five. And since it didn't end with a tie, the whole "Cameron only had five Pokemon" thing had no real significance to it. I was expecting the two of them to tie, then Ash forfeits because all six of his were knocked out. Yeah it would still suck, but at least it would give a reason for it. But nope, Lucario wins. I don't know if the writers were deliberately trying to make Ash look bad or if they were so busy trying to throw in jokes about Cameron's goldfish memory that they didn't realize it, but all it served was to show just how bad Ash did in this region and how much he's regressed. Ash and Pikachu started this league failures and came out of it failures.

Virgil continues to show just how much of a super-omnipotent Marty-Stu he is, then just hops into his jet as if to say "Oh I'm now the league champion of this tournament? Okay, well back to work!" then returns to his life of destroying underground Neo-Nazi groups, protecting endangered wildlife from Ross Allen, patching up holes in the O-Zone layer, and separating the glass recyclables from the plastics.

*sniff* Goodbye Bianca, you'll be missed by everyone who likes enjoyable characters.

On the plus side, I like that Lucario's personality didn't become super-duper-maxi-serious after evolving (hey Ash, take a hint), and it was well animated... ... ... yeah that's about it.

I can only hope the Plasma arc will make up for this.
    Last edited by DynoStretch; 10th January 2013 at 12:56 PM.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

I enjoyed the collage at the end quite a bit. It was nice to see Georgia and Burgundy in there too.

I really think the writers handled Ash's loss like they did to be unpredictable and honestly more logical. Everyone was thinking from 107 that Kotetsu would indeed be victor over Ash, but only by 1 Pokemon or so. The fact that he KOd both of Ash's was a little more unpredictable. Honestly, I think it makes more sense - of course someone who has been training long enough to fully evolve their team in Unova is going to have higher leveled Pokemon than someone like Ash who just pounded through the Gyms in a short amount of time without much training in between.

let's go on an adventure, friend!

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Now I just wish that Ash had left Cameron outside and miss the signing off point. He helped the guy who would defeat him sign up. Nice work Ash, really fucking nice...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

lol with all the hype behind Episode N and generation 6, I had forgot the Unova league was still going. Just watched it. Worst league ever. Can that even be denied? We get the closest thing to a 6 v 6 and it was a piece of shit. Then a bunch of montage battles where Cameron can only beat half of Virgil's team, which kinda makes Ash look even worse.

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

I loved Ash's regression, loved. It was only fair for him to finish in a lower position, since he barely trained his Pokémon in this saga.
    I'm also glad Riolu kept its personality after evolving. I was thinking it would become super serious like every other Lucario, so that was a nice surprise.
    Virgil's victory was expected. I'm totally fine with him winning, if only because it showed once again that someone can win the League with first stage Pokémon.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

THis upcoming N arc better be winning an Emmy award because this episode was probliy one of the worst. i have never felt this awful since GM quit making Saturns. JUST AWFUL. The battle made Ash's battle with elesa seem like a challenge....However Lucario was able to cheer me up especially with the ice cream. I did like little Eevee winning the leauge but it was bad tot he point that i will only say that Lucario won. not cameron. An awful finish to an awful leauge.

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

I've never liked Cameron at all. It's just his character I guess, And for him to beat Ash, makes me hate this whole BW saga. I would of rathered he lost to a trainer with higher calibur. Why couldn't Ash beat Cameron and lose to Virgil or have Ash and Virgil battle in the Final 8 while Cameron battles Dino. I hate Cameron, and I never want him to return again.

And honestly, Ash shouldn't of helped him out so many times! So really, Ash should blame himself for this defeat.

Thank Arceus the league is over. I wasn't expecting Satoshi to win the league, but I hated it for being so rushed. Well, I hope it snaps Satoshi back into good-battler mode (and yes, I know that's not gonna happen).

Anyway, I laughed at the ridiculously short and unnecessary clipshow.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    More importantly, why is this surprising? We've known Satoshi was going to lose the Isshu League for a while now.
    I really think the biggest problem they have with Ash losing is:

1. Only Pikachu and Pignite got wins equaling 4 Pokémon.
    2. Kotetsu only used 5 Pokémon
    3. Kotetsu did jack against Virgil. (This is important, because I hate how Ash lost to someone who wasn't going to win the league, especially as badly as Kotetsu did), if Ash has to lose top 8 it should always be to someone who's going to win the league, it should be the only thing that makes sense).
    --------------

My reasons no one probably cares about.

4. Kotetsu's Riolu evolved, just because it got hit by Snivy's attack. See with Ash's Pokémon at least they struggle before evolving, Kotetsu's Riolu didn't, and seemingly got hit by one or two attacks, and that was somehow enough to cause enough "danger-force" evolution, and then Lucario swept what was left of Ash's team. I don't recall any instance where a Pokémon of Ash's evolves and knocks out more than one of the opponent's Pokémon, excluding Kingler, which was a long time ago.

5. This whole league was messed up, the only battle that was remotely done well in comparison was Ash vs Stephan, because both sides went in, fairly equal, and Ash managed to come out on top and it was a decent battle over all. Everything else was just so unbearable to watch. Especially with Kotetsu sending out 2 of his Pokémon who have a 4x weakness against the Pokémon he sent them out against, at least Pignite is only 2 times weak against Samurott, and yet somehow Kotestu managed to beat Ash.

6. And thank you Axew filler episode, which did jack for the league and Axew (no development whatsoever), that also was a factor, this really was a bad league, overall. Outside of Ash vs Stephan, I can't think of anything that was redeemable about it. It just had way too much negative points rather than positives. It really feels that overall the writers didn't care although maybe that's because of Pokémon X and Y.

So Pikachu messed it up once again? Oh God...it's getting so damn old...Actually, I was about to start ranting about the writers' concept (Do they have any concept in the first place?) but then I decided that I'm going to spare you that.

Just one thing that I can't help saying:That pathetic loser Ash only made it to the quarter-finals / top 8? Hm, let's see, in the Sinnoh League he made it to the semi-finals / top 4, which means... OMG, there was absolutely NO improvement in Ash's development as a trainer. On the contrary, he even got worse!! I just can't believe it guys....A whole journey consisting of three seasons...What for? For nothing! Pointless!

We've reached a point where I have to ask myself: Why do we keep watching that loser's chaotic adventures in the first place? Tell me! Why?
    Let me be honest with you: It seems to me that the writers are not giving a shit about what we older fans who have been watching Pokemon since the very first episode think or feel. They're just playing around (or should I say messing around?) with their characters as they like, much to our regret.

So why should we even care about Episode N or Gen VI? Why? Because the title sounds so promising? God, no! We already know that Ash is never going to win any league and judging from the outcome today, it looks like he's now even getting worse from league to league.

Believe me, having to say this really hurts me badly but I would seriously think about whether I should continue watching Pokemon if it weren't for my wonderful angel Cynthia.
    OK, let's look at it from this perspective: The worst adventure ever has got a "worthy" conclusion that was equally bad. At least that fits. Oh well, may the rest of the Pokemon Anime go downhilll, I don't care as long as Cynthia is there.
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 10th January 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10th January 2013, 06:43 PM
  2. 10th January 2013, 06:21 AM