REVIEW: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKanimeExpert View Post
    ASH BETTER WIN HES WAS COMPLETELY TROLLED OUT OF A WIN LAST YEAR BY SOME RANDOM GUY WITH 2 FRICKING UBERS.
    Haha, yeah and who knew what his other 4 Pokemon were...

Blog Entries

Visit Grabbergirl's Youtube Channel

Default Re: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

So we get a sauna scene out of Stephan and Kotetsu sweating in there. Luckily their in boxer shorts. Nice Olympics reference too!!! The gym leader flashbacks were nice but it'd be better if Chili or Cress showed up in the league. What happened to them?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It does seem very similar to the Don battle tournaments oddly so far.
    Duque likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    It does seem very similar to the Don battle tournaments oddly so far.
    Agreed, it's like Don George is secretly the dictator of Unova, and controls the way all trainers have to battle. Okay, I went a little too far there.

Every tournament in BW has been the same thing so far, being all one on one tournaments that focus more on the character development of side characters, along with them being overpowered over the main characters. I mean, the gym battles have all been done properly and were usually 3 on 3, why can't the tournaments be 6 on 6.

I think they're just refusing to show the rest of Trips team, as they think "Serperior's the best Pokemon ever" apparently, and it's the only Pokemon Trip ever owns, or more rather, it's the only one of his Pokemon we ever see, I mean, are they THAT lazy to come up with the teams for the rivals, I mean really, here are everyones teams:

Trip: Serperior
    Stephan: Sawk, Zebstrika, Liepard
    Bianca: Pignite, Minccino, Shelmet
    Georgia: Bisharp, Beartic
    Kotetsu: Riolu, Samurott, Ferrothorn, Hydreigon
    Virgil: Eevee and it's evolutions
    Burgundy: Pretty much non-existent at this point

It's like they don't even want to bother giving them full teams of six, and have made it so that their signature Pokemon is their ONLY Pokemon, and with that, make that Pokemon as overpowered as possible, it's like they're not even trying anymore with their teams. It's like "*insert Pokemon here* is *insert rival here*'s strongest Pokemon, let's make it their ONLY Pokemon!"

The only ones that even have what is close to legitimate teams are Kotetsu and Virgil, and even then, the latter is nothing but the same evolution line, while Kotetsu, even with only four of his Pokemon known, is the only rival who has most of his team known.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Moe
    Blog Entries

The thing is, Trip does have a full set of 6, a very good variety of different types, as well as a lot of Pokemon rivalries - yet he's the only one who gets a 1 on 1 battle.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    The thing is, Trip does have a full set of 6, a very good variety of different types, as well as a lot of Pokemon rivalries - yet he's the only one who gets a 1 on 1 battle.
    Well its because nobody really cares. Trip was a poorly received rival from day one and these last 2 years didn't change that. He's being given an early exit for the same reason Kenny was dropped from the Sinnoh Grand Festival quickly.

They're getting the "dud" rival out of the way quickly to focus on the more interesting characters. Just be glad the writers have acknowledged which characters are received well and which aren't, it dates back to the days of Johto when Takeshi Shudo was unhappy with the tedious direction of the series back then.

All we really need to see is Pikachu get its revenge on Serperior for both its two prior losses, and Trip's Serperior dominating the Junior Cup, and then the whole Trip rivalry can be shelved. I also guarantee Trip will immediately leave after he loses rather than sticking around to watch the rest of the tournament.
    djulienr, Metan, Duque and 1 others like this.

The thing about 1 v 1's is the don't really show how good a trainer really is, just how good there pokemon of choice is for that battle. I don't like Trip at all, but its a poor way to end the rivalry. Beating one of his pokemon doesn't prove at all that Ash is better than him
    MonkeyBoy210 and Duque like this.

Blog Entries

ASH BETTER WIN HES WAS COMPLETELY TROLLED OUT OF A WIN LAST YEAR BY SOME RANDOM GUY WITH 2 FRICKING UBERS.
    Yeah...And back in Sinnoh Ash actually deserved to win because of all the hard work he did through the saga. He had a fairly developed team, he had motivation to do better, and he actually used strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash's Battle Coach View Post
    The thing about 1 v 1's is the don't really show how good a trainer really is, just how good there pokemon of choice is for that battle. I don't like Trip at all, but its a poor way to end the rivalry. Beating one of his pokemon doesn't prove at all that Ash is better than him
    Honestly I agree...Trip is Ash's "primary" rival for the series and he has lost to him 3 times and drawn with him once. They have the potential to give a decent battle with a full 6 on 6 but they choose to ignore that and give us JUST Serperior vs. Pikachu. The thing that bugs me the most is that Ash ALWAYS gets a 6 on 6 with his main league rival, but here....a 1 on 1 against a rival who was poorly written
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

Add lordbryan567 on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    Ah, we finally reach league time, and it's zipping by faster then a Ninjask after seven cups of coffee. Funny how they can do filler after filler (or Iris episode after Iris episode) and then act like they have to rush through the tournaments.

The League is shaping to look like just another 1-on-1 Don tournament. Thanks for killing any remaining optimism I had for this series writers.

AND GODDAMNIT DOES ANYONE AROUND HERE EVER STOP SMILING?!

Wait, an Officer Butc, erm, Jenny lit the torch? That's... random... ...did their character-of-the-day budget run out? That's like having the 2016 Olympic torch be lit by a Dairy Queen cashier.

And oh look, Pikachu is struggling one-sidedly against Serperior, can't wait to see what Deus ex Machina they pull out to help Ash win to make up for his complete inability to train his Pokemon. I'm guessing it'll involve the Static ability kicking in, which happens so infrequently I'm not surprised Ash forgets about it.

*sighs* Well that was a depressing post. Do I have anything to liven it up a bit?

Aw, that'll do. ^ ^
    well, ash has been very unlucky with his pokemon's ability kicking in or any side effects from moves. rememver the match vs roxie? like every of her atks 100% poison , when it should only be 10%/30% chance at max according to the game. and pikachu's iron tail has never caused any opponent to be paralysed before. furthermore, it takes a huge number of hits on pikachu to get the static to kick in. so the writers are like super unrealistic on move side effects and abilities. if i remember, pignite only managed to burn the enemy once in all its battles using fire type moves, unfair much
    LOL, that was totally unexpected, but i was kinda hoping for ash to take out at least 3 of tobias's pokemon. and i think the decision to go with torkoal was a bad one, swellow too. if he has chosen glalie, charizard or snorlax, he could have pulled off 1 more win at least imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Haha, yeah and who knew what his other 4 Pokemon were...
    my guess, entei, articuno, registeel and.... Mesprit? haha
    LIKE SERIOUSLY THAT SUPER EFFECTIVE STAB HORNDRILL FROM HARACROSS SHOULD HAVE ONE HIT THE DARKRAI. IT WAS JUST BLATENTLY UNFAIR TO LOYAL VIEWERS WHO FOLLOED HIM THROUGHOUT HIS DEVELOPMENT.
    it was mega horn, not horn drill, either way, focus punch+ megahorn from ash's heracross should be able to take down any darkrai... tis was the same heracross who beat gary mother******* oak 's magmar 2 series ago!

oh and back to UNOVA LEAGUE, ash vs trip 1 on 1 doesnt surprise me, but using sceptile vs seperior would have been soooo much cooler! my guess from the next ep preview's pikachu's sneaky smile,
    pikachu-sneaky-smile.png

ash and pikachu actually have a REAL STRATEGY this time, so im looking forward to that. we all know ash will inevitably win. but im quite happy trip loses so early, he deserves it. but im not happy cause trip deserves a thorough beating from ash like how alder beat him an pikachu wasn't the best pokemon of ash to deliver that. imaginve charizard, now that would satisfy me to my heart's content
    Last edited by lordbryan567; 23rd November 2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: inser photo for reference

Blog Entries

Trip's Serperior looked taller than previous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLord View Post
    LIKE SERIOUSLY THAT SUPER EFFECTIVE STAB HORNDRILL FROM HARACROSS SHOULD HAVE ONE HIT THE DARKRAI. IT WAS JUST BLATENTLY UNFAIR TO LOYAL VIEWERS WHO FOLLOED HIM THROUGHOUT HIS DEVELOPMENT.
    >Implying type advantages mean or have ever meant anything in the anime.
    Crysta Blade likes this.

Nice way to start off the league and please stop the lame jokes with Kotetsu.. He has been given a good team of pokes but has been considered as joker of Pokemon.. it sometimes tickles n some frustrate.. Ash vs Trip in round of 128(1vs1) seems weird ,, also other rivals have strong team compared to trip which may help in eliminating nd advancing Ash..
    Prof Oak, Delia Ketchum nd also Moltres flame missing from previous seasons..

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Wow, what a great episode, and a really fun way to start of the League. Seeing Satoshi and his friends and rivals bond together is always nice.

As for the battles, they were spectacular. I know they were all short, but they were really intense, and said a lot. You could tell just how confident and strategic Bel has become since we last saw her, and Kotetsu and Virgil had pretty interesting, even matches where they didn't just steamroll through everything. I only wish we could see the full matches.

Also, Pikachu had fat arms during its battle with Jalorda.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

You know what? This was a really decent first league episode.

The battles were quickly showcased, yes but I didn't mind this time because it felt...well...good.

The first part of Pikachu VS. Serperior was also nicely done.

And...Stephan's name gag is over? Yay.

And...Bianca isn't hyperactive for once...good lord.

I'm guessing the writers got sick of Cabernet and Langley, since neither of them have showed up. Cabernet was shown to be collecting badges, and Langley had a Pokedex so I had imagined they'd both be turning up...

...then again, Cabernet was about as failed a rival as you could get. She didn't get one win under her belt throughout the show, and eventually just became comic relief to be blasted off.

As for Langley... meh, guess since Iris defeated her the writers decided she'd run her course. Pity, at first I thought she was pretty interesting.
    Trainer Gabriel likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 9th March 2013, 12:11 PM
  2. 22nd November 2012, 05:40 AM