REVIEW: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Default BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Screenplay: Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
    Storyboard: Ken'ichi Nishida
    Assistant director: Ken'ichi Nishida
    Animation director: Izumi Shimura
    Last edited by Adyniz; 22nd November 2012 at 06:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Bel knocking Satoshi into the fountain=predictable.

Everyone getting Kenyan's name right=THANK GOD THAT STUPID GAG IS OVER.

Standard setup episode. Unfortunately with tournaments like this there's not much to say until the end.

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW103: The Isshu League Higaki Conference Gets Underway! Satoshi vs Shooty!!

Love love love love this time of the year!!!! love love love love the pokemon league!!!! Goooo Satoshi!!!!!!!
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Out of all the characters, why did Jenny have to be the one who gets to do the 'ceremonial torch' thingy?

Moe
    Blog Entries

Yay at how they resolved Stephan's name gag here, less yay at Kotetsu - if Ash loses to him, it would be like if Richie lost after waiting for Ash. Ash is too nice for his own good.

I liked the montage of the Gyms - though I'd have preferred Ash to have gone outside and actually had the Pokemon shown with him rather than just Pikachu as always. Is this the first league where Oak hasn't been there to cheer Ash on in person?

Stephan's battle is a good summation of why 1 vs 1 sucks for anything important - type advantage pure and simple won the day, and by how Ash and Trip's battle started, there was no requirement to pick Pokemon in advance, so the person going second gets the advantage - you'd be annoyed if you worked on getting 8 badges only to leave the league because someone got to pick a Pokemon weak to you with no redress. The random Crustle against Virgil was great.

From the little bit of Trip's battle it seemed like Ash forgot everything from the battle with Pignite.
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Events:
    * The gang signs up, including Bianca, Stephan, and Virgil.
    * See a tent outside, and of course, it's Kotetsu... Who forgot to sign up.
    * Ash drags him to Joy and asks to sign him up for the league.
    * Ash receives a Pokemon from Juniper via the transfer machine, Dinner, Sauna room/Shower, Night time, Gym leaders' flashbacks.
    * League time, Trip and all standing there... Freddy doing his commentator stuff.
    * Stephan goes first with his Zebstrika and as we already knew, he wins. Then Emboar VS Watchog, Crustle VS Vaporeon (knows Hydro Pump/Aurora Beam), Shibirudon VS Nutrey.
    * Ash and Trip begin their battle.

Blog Entries

Wait...Ash starts the league by going up against his main rival? I have a bad feeling about this...

Who wants to guess the odds that Ash's first Unova League battle will also be his last?
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

A few things I noticed. The guy battling Stephan was a look-a-like of Brandon's assistant, Samuel. I mean really anime? I know you recycle characters all the time but did it REALLY have to be one that appeared in multiple episodes in two different series that was the assistant of a Frontier Brain? Or do you just really like that design? Second, they took Lenora's apron off in Ash's flashback. Guess so they don't have to worry about it in the dub.

But yeah, I like this episode. I'm happy for Stephan. Everyone getting his name right now. I like how he didn't grasp it right away and was going to correct them out of reflex but then he realizes and is all "yay". I was hoping to see his Liepard but I guess I'll have to wait on that.

Too bad Kotetsu didn't get left out of the league, not that they would actually let him get left out because of his idiocy. I would like it so much more if he wasn't there. Oh well... can't have everything.
    Shinneth likes this.

Seems like the writers are sick of coming up with excuses why Okido can't make it to watch the league personally... he didn't even so much as call Satoshi this time around.

And although I was certain Satoshi wouldn't be using any of his pre-BW Pokemon other than Pikachu, did he actually state this during the episode?

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

*Creeped*

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kotetsu-kenyan.png  
    Kenji-girl and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

omfg

I love Kotetsu just for making Ash spazz out.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Normally, the first league episode would end on the opening ceremony. (After getting the ceremonial flame back from Team Rocket.) But Best Wishes just jumps straight into the start of Ash's battle with his main rival. The anime pacing has always been all over the place but I have to wonder why the anime is rushing to finish this region.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Bianca's first opponent was using a Watchog. Damn it, writers, you could have brought back Jimmy Ray for this one! Why did you settle for a generic no-name character?

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Where is Santa/Mr. Goodshow?!?!?!

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I get the feeling all these rivals will be written out of the show once this league ends. Feels like they're wrapping up all their storylines and gags.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 9th March 2013, 12:11 PM
  2. 22nd November 2012, 05:40 AM