REVIEW: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

  1. #16
    MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Olivine Lighthouse
    Posts
    5,112
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    I have placed my episode review in spoiler tags. Feel free to read it.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 25th October 2012 at 07:54 PM.

  2. #17
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,232
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    When she was calming Hydreigon down, she was quite obviously trying to imitate what she'd seen the Elder do to calm down Dragonite and Haxorus. I thought that bit was great, since she was actually learning and applying skills she'd observed instead of having them just come out of nowhere like in the past.
    Actually, Iris has done this before. Only once, but in the episode with the three Deino at the daycare, the way Iris got the timid Deino to warm up to her was explicitly shown to be a technique used by her village elder to calm down a Druddigon in a similar scenario.

    I'll admit this is a much better way for Iris to do her dragon-whispering than just coming up with solutions all on her own, but did we really need to see it again? :\ Regardless it all boils down to the same old shit we've seen a dozen times before and there's no real sense of progression in any of these. The way Iris solved this problem really does highlight how the writing of an episode literally bends to her will, since these practices did not fly at all back when Officer Jenny & co. were dealing with Dragonite not too long ago. This episode sure doesn't make me excited for the next one, but that's hardly a surprise...

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

  3. #18

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Just a very ordinary episode.. its shown Iris is having greater potential and is on the road of becoming dragon master.. its plausible but doing same thing again and again wil just frustrate the ppl watching the anime.. its all nicely done calming hydreigon after becoming confused/frightened of evolving. good to see tag of emolga and dragonite.. when emolga was riding on dragonite's head it reminds of the good old orange league in which pikachu was clinging to dragonite's head eventually winning.. there s no need of drayden to hide and show up just to call iris to gym battle. nevertheless better than other eps.. waiting for next one

  4. #19

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"


    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.

  5. #20
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.

  6. #21

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
    I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.

  7. #22
    Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Ireland.
    Posts
    947
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Firstly, I have a comment to make on the general interior design of the Village's homes, which usually I don't notice. Yes, the theme was fitting, but I felt they could have polished it a bit more, with a more dark rich brown wood, and perhaps noticeable wools and possibly large animal skins (fake I guess, since real may seem cruel to some, I don't know), and softer decor. I realise I'm fussing over nothing, and maybe due to the climate there, the typical cabin setting is unnecessary, however I still can't shake off the feeling they were lacking something.
    I kind of liked the placement in the CoTD for a single reason that it brings about Iris' homecoming in three different types of people; the old friend, the austere teacher and the maternal mentor (though I think some of the meet ups could've been done a bit better. Also I wish to hold opinions on her dialogue since I have no full comprehension of it yet, but her actions aren't the most fascinating, which is true. What Moe mentioned about her calming the Hydreigon down with Iris' assistance would be pleasant, and I would've thought at the very least she could have given Iris some advice on the Hydreigon, since she personally knows it, even if it has evolved, it wouldn't be altogether useless to give some background information and history about it instead of standing there. It would've been even nicer if Iris bothered to ask for her knowledge; I don't think it would've shown her as any weaker or incompetent to do so, just wise in the fact of relationships between people and Pokemon. (Unless she did ask, but I didn't see that, but apologies if she did).
    It's interesting that Iris' reverie is on the Matriarch's peaceful approach and she immediately uses an aggressive tactic by using Dragonite and Emolga, then both them and Axew with Excadrill. I can comprehend that it may be due to she recognises the Pokemon as a formidable force, but I think it would've been nicer if she tried to let the Hydreigon hear her out first, especially that she did that with Dragonite, an also out of control powerful Pokemon. It may be the possibility of that Iris wasn't near the Pokemon, but she could've flown up on Dragonite to console Hydreigon, and then changed tactics. I didn't mind her whole team coming out (the match ups of them are in addition another mark on it), though it was a weird mark on her team's general power, still it let out the lot of them for a nice photo finish with Iris. The dragon feeling was alright, too, would've been cool to have seen the wave effect on the body and its thoughts, but I suppose it wasn't vital to know what it was thinking (you could guess), but it could've helped.
    I did like Drayden lurking in the shadows (other than the fact that it looked hysterical, his face half hidden under that branch), as it conveys him reviewing her progress silently then challenging her.
    The last thing I'll comment on is the Matriarch's little shuffle run. Maybe it's just me, but I find that such a sly old lady run.

    Altogether, the episode was a bit eh. Not enthralling for me, but what I expected.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgement, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

  8. #23
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
    I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.
    What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?

  9. #24

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
    I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.
    What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?
    Uh, seriously? I'd say she is a lost sister of Hikari, despite the hair differences. o_@

  10. #25
    Cranky Curmudgeon Signas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I live
    Posts
    228
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Didn't watch, but have 3 questions:

    Did she get the Hydreigon?
    Was the elder disappointed Axew is still a weenie?
    Did the Excadrill/Drayden subplot instantly become about Dragonite?

    Still the Unova Champion in my book.

  11. #26
    Registered User PockyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,048
    Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
    I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.
    What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?
    Uh, seriously? I'd say she is a lost sister of Hikari, despite the hair differences. o_@
    You guys are talking about the eyes right? cause that's where I can see the only similarity.

  12. #27

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Signas View Post
    Didn't watch, but have 3 questions:

    Did she get the Hydreigon?
    Was the elder disappointed Axew is still a weenie?
    Did the Excadrill/Drayden subplot instantly become about Dragonite?
    Nope. The Hydreigon is Iris's friend's possession.
    She didn't show it to Iris and said Axew was fine. But IIRC she sighed after Iris left her room.
    The Dragonite started to battle a Haxorus similar to what Ash's Charizard did in Johto. It didn't beat Dragonite, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post

    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    I don't see why no one liked this character of the day. As I said before, she's a cutie. I wish more dragon girls would be more present in this show from now on.
    I also liked this CotD, but you have to agree her face lines and hair is similar to Hiraki's.
    What? Are we looking at the same photo? I don't see anything that is remotely close to Dawn in this picture. People just look to bring up old references don't they?
    Uh, seriously? I'd say she is a lost sister of Hikari, despite the hair differences. o_@
    You guys are talking about the eyes right? cause that's where I can see the only similarity.
    The face format and some parts of the hair are also similar in my eyes.

  13. #28
    This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Other
    Location
    California
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    Oh she doesn't look that... much...

    Hold on a second. *gets out MS Paint and one minute later...*



    Holy fruits! o_o
    Last edited by DynoStretch; 28th October 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

    - Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

  14. #29
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metan View Post
    Hey, Hikari! What a surprise! You are so... different.
    Oh she doesn't look that... much...

    Hold on a second. *gets out MS Paint and one minute later...*



    Holy fruits! o_o
    Yeah but if you could leave the colors alone, she really looks nothing like her. I don't see why she is getting such a bash. The reason why I believe some thought she was bland is because Iris is yet again helping another training with their dragon pokemon. I mean are they're any competent dragon users in this series?

  15. #30

    Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

    skip this eppy.

    This eppy almost made me sleep. Slight reunion-esque yes. But the eppy seemed to be put out there for the heck of it :(
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •