Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

BW100 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Junki Takegami
    Storyboard - Shigeru Ueda
    Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
    Animation director - Atsushi Ogata

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons"

Meh. Just your average "calm down a rampaging Pokemon" episode.

Nothing to write home about.

The Hydreigon's voice was terrible.

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW100 "Iris Returns to the Village of Dragons!"

This episode is better then last week's episode by far.

However, I didn't care about Shobu at all.

Atleast Iris did a decent job and it was kind of funny Ash and Cilan didn't do anything special today. But I don't mind.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Loved seeing Kibago being used, Iris learning something from the Elder, apologizing to Shaga out of the blue like that, and learning about the Dragon Village.

Nothing super duper amazing, but a good episode and set-up for next week.

The most earsplitting moment, Sanzadora biting Iris' arms and her screaming.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

All in all a decent episode. Nothing incredibly standout in terms of its plot, but it was interesting to give Iris the spotlight for a change and show what she's capable of. Really looking forward to next week. :3

Moe
    Blog Entries

I don't get the progression for Iris in this episode - first she can't handle her own Dragonite getting in a fight, and needs the elder to step in, but by the end of the episode she's mastered calming Pokemon down to do it for someone else? Not to mention that her tactic for doing so is getting four Pokemon to gang up on one to stop it - you know, like what Officer Jenny was going to do to her Dragonite before she insisted that she could calm it down with words alone?

I did like the little bit of a battle between the Haxorus and Dragonite at the start, it's about as physical as we've seen a battle in a while, which is really what you want to see out of two powerful dragons. I'm also sure that the COTD was saying something interesting, seemed like a nice character - look forward to seeing that in the dub. Likewise I enjoyed how Axew responded to coming home and how Iris actually seemed genuinely happy at times - her personality in the early parts of this episode was the kind of Iris I'd want to see all the time, unfortunately in this episode like most it gets overridden by do-no-wrong expert Iris.

Evolving and becoming unresponsive is a really pained storyline at this point - but equally it's one that should be worked through with the trainer themselves, not a third party. Iris has her own problem to deal with - how many times did Cynthia have to help Iris with Dragonite? And now part way through this episode her dragon mastery suddenly shines through. Though it's just like Ash hugging it out with a flaming Monferno in the end - I don't think calming down a Pokemon is the same as being a master of dragon types - the techniques are more or less the same regardless of Pokemon type. Yet apparently this was recognised as her having dragon master potential.

The use of Drayden in that context is odd - the Drayden backstory, unless it's massively retconned next week, is about Excadrill, not Axew and not about her Dragon Master goal. I don't see why they were connected in the way that they were in this episode, though admittedly understanding what was said might have helped there.

Still, there's parts of this episode I enjoyed, though it's overshadowed as so many Iris episodes are by her always ending on top. Hopefully the last ditch attempt to save an Iris plotline will end next episode and we can have at least some of the league focus on Ash.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

A nice episode, unlike other typical Iris episodes.
    Although I didn't give a rat's ass about Shobu, but I did like the whole 'Dragon-feeling' during the entire episode.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I don't get the progression for Iris in this episode - first she can't handle her own Dragonite getting in a fight, and needs the elder to step in, but by the end of the episode she's mastered calming Pokemon down to do it for someone else?
    When she was calming Hydreigon down, she was quite obviously trying to imitate what she'd seen the Elder do to calm down Dragonite and Haxorus. I thought that bit was great, since she was actually learning and applying skills she'd observed instead of having them just come out of nowhere like in the past.

Other than that, this was a standard set-up episode, and Shaobu was pretty uninteresting.

Blog Entries

'kay... what Ash did say about the elder for Iris give him a mean look?
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    When she was calming Hydreigon down, she was quite obviously trying to imitate what she'd seen the Elder do to calm down Dragonite and Haxorus. I thought that bit was great, since she was actually learning and applying skills she'd observed instead of having them just come out of nowhere like in the past.
    Which really should have been the role of the trainer who owned the Pokemon, not Iris. I think Iris would get more development out of watching/encouraging the COTD overcome her obvious hesitancy for her own Pokemon using the tactics shown by the elder - so that the actual development for Iris would come by her working with Dragonite, not doing it for someone else. I fear the events of this episode mean that Iris has checked the 'ability to calm dragon types' box and will now be perfect with Dragonite, without ever actually getting to the root cause of that.

Again though, the elder more or less did what Cynthia did with Dragonite (and to be fair, basically what Iris did in Dragonite's first episode) - as well as the way Ash and other trainers have reacted to other rampaging Pokemon. Putting their body on the line isn't out of the ordinary and certainly not in my view a demonstration of anything specific to dragon types or the lesson the Elder gave as such.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Tell me I'm not the only one who finds it odd to see Shaga lurking in the bushes and watching everyone.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Tell me I'm not the only one who finds it odd to see Shaga lurking in the bushes and watching everyone.
    one image to describe this

Blog Entries

This episode is a 6.5 out of 10

Blog Entries

Admittedly, if it were not for Ash and Cilan, Iris would not have gotten this far, but it still seems empty. I have personally gone through my own revelation that Dragon types are no different than any other pokemon, and thus have come to accept using them in game. I will even say this saga has shown the real difficulty in training dragons: they learn things slowly. However, for being long touted as being difficult to control, this is not what I expected out of something like this at all. Dragonite is the closest we've come, and even that was BSed up the yin yang. If I were to believe this, then any trainer worth their salt would be able to train them, and that is not what I was led to believe. Only an exceptional trainer; the best.

I say all this because Iris's development seems to have ended. I don't know if she can defeat Drayden, I highly doubt it, but I don't see anything more that can be done other than to learn how to battle more effectively. All of Iris's development culminated in one thing, and that is the ability to listen, which was done long ago with Excadrill. After that, nothing else mattered, she was Dragon Jesus. As a dragon fan, I am disappointed. I've known about this for a while, but I guess now it has come together for me. It's far from over, anyone can see that, but after this, it might as well be over.
    Step into the Fairy circle

An entertaining, if somewhat predictable ep. Though I do question Iris's tactics for calming an enraged Dragon.

Step 1-Back it into a corner.
    Step 2-Jump on it.
    Step 3-Tell it's okay.

Still, nice to see Iris actually use all of her pokes for once. No one was left out, and Emolga clamping down on Dragonite's head was kinda cute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25th October 2012, 05:55 AM
  2. 25th October 2012, 05:50 AM