Blog Entries

Default BW051 "Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!" Review Thread

Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
    Storyboard - Shigeru Ueda
    Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
    Animation director - Tomohiro Koyama

Sightseeing after Satoshi's gym battle, Dent collects stamps to try and win a battle against the Subway Twins! Meanwhile, Satoshi and Iris find a stray Kibago...

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 050 "Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!" Review Thread

Wow, what a boring episode. The title was almost a misnomer.

They might as well have called it "Ash, Iris, and Cilan waste time trying to reunite a Trainer and her Pokemon and then Ash and Cilan lose a battle."

There wasn't even that much Ingo and Emmet....

Also, @Musashi this is episode 51, not 50.
    Last edited by Eitarou; 6th October 2011 at 05:34 AM.

Man, why was this episode called Ash and Cilan VS The Subway Masters?! It was mostly about that lost Axew... and that wasn't even a bad thing! Only thing I'll think was bad was how the title didn't match over half of the story xD

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Pretty unremarkable ep imo, though the little moments made it worthwhile, I thought. I personally found the sightseeing scenes with Ash and Iris surprisingly adorable, and kind of wish we could have got an entire episode dedicated to the group and their 'mons just having fun around the theme parks and what-not.
    Dent's unbridled enthusiasm was also quite humorous, as per usual.

Battle was mediocre at best, but seeing as that's become BW's trademark, I can't say I expected anything spectacular in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Wow, what a boring episode. The title was almost a misnomer.

They might as well have called it "Ash, Iris, and Cilan waste time trying to reunite a Trainer and her Pokemon and then Ash and Cilan lose a battle."

There wasn't even that much Ingo and Emmet....

Also, @Musashi this is episode 51, not 50.
    We knew the episode wasn't going to be like that, it was going to about sightseeing, helping the girl and ending in a battle, we knew it from the start, what sense doesn't it make to whine about something you knew about already?

We got a shitload of twins time already a 4 minute battle is more then enough, plus two more minutes of talking.

The figh itself was pretty nice.

They got appearances like in 5 or 6 episodes, I don't think they need more time at all.

Ok, my thoughts:

- I've gotta hand it to the writers, they certainly did a great job of showing off Raimon City. We got to see pretty much every single city landmark during its time on the show - the Ferris Wheel, the Sports Stadiums, the Musical Hall, the Subway... I wish other cities got this much exposure (although I understand most of them don't have as much notable about that).
    - Wow, what a misleading title. The show was more about the lost Kibago than the actual battle. The twins didn't actually appear that much.
    - Collecting stamps to win a battle with the twins... I can buy that. Makes more sense than having a bunch of people standing on the train waiting for a challenger.
    - The Musical appeared for less than a minute. Almost all of it was seen in the previews of this episode. Still, no wonder the writers didn't give it it's own episode. There's clearly not that much to do with it. Pokemon just dance about on stage.
    - Boo! We didn't get to see Iris and Dent in their costumes from the preview pics (yet strangely, Satoshi did wear his).
    - BTW, the preview pictures lied. Chillaccino did not appear in this episode. Actually, there were no debuts at all.
    - Iris's idea to find Kibago's trainer was to put its paw print onto a subway stamp sheet and draw a picture of the Ferris Wheel... seriously, she couldn't write down where she was going. In fact, why didn't she and Satoshi go straight to the twins to see if a lost Kibago had been reported... Dent was the one who saw sense and did then when he met the girl (did anyone catch her name).
    - The battle between Satoshi and Dent and the twins was all right. I liked how the subway's infrastructure was used by Yanappu.
    - When the Best Wishes music started, I actually started to believe Satoshi and Dent might actually get a win. I forgot this show hates Satoshi winning non-Gym Battles. Of course, the twins won.
    - I liked the final scene on the Ferris Wheel. Seemed like a nice way to bid farewell to Raimon City.
    - The music for the Live Caster changed. This week the featured Pokemon was Mooland. But come on, the Live Caster sucks! Same old animation of Okido-Hakase behind a desk talking. Bring back the lecture, please!
    - Next week: Satoshi battles Adeku. He probably loses again.

So there, this episode was ok. Nice setting, the lost Kibago plot was all right but man I wish the battle had been longer. Or at least ended differently. Satoshi has been made to look pretty weak lately.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

This was...alright. While I liked all the scenes by themselves, they didn't really combine well enough to make a coherent episode. It feels more like they tried to cram the plots of three separate episodes into one, and all three plots suffered because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark
    - Iris's idea to find Kibago's trainer was to put its paw print onto a subway stamp sheet and draw a picture of the Ferris Wheel... seriously, she couldn't write down where she was going.
    If this had been a Kanto episode, she would have written a note in plain Japanese. But since that was outlawed a long time ago, everyone is forced to communicate with each other using rebuses instead.

- When the Best Wishes music started, I actually started to believe Satoshi and Dent might actually get a win.
    I actually like it when the producers of the TV show does that because it makes the battle stand out more.
    Bubble Frog likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Well, this was a pointless and boring episode. It's like, why did this episode have to exist? Why did it have to touch my senses with its blandness?

But Pokabu was in it, so I liked the episode. Because I am just that shallow.

Also, it was nice to see Luke Elena again, even though he she didn't really do much.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post

If this had been a Kanto episode, she would have written a note in plain Japanese. But since that was outlawed a long time ago, everyone is forced to communicate with each other using rebuses instead.
    I'm surprised they didn't use the fakey made up language instead...

Blog Entries

A boring episode this week. While it did have some good moments like the musical part, the tittle really hyped up a battle that was really boring, imo. Oh well...

Blog Entries

Wow, what a misleading title! The Nobori/Kudari battle only lasted like 12 seconds. This is an example of why writers shouldn't cram two episode ideas into one.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I expected that the battle will only last 3-4 minutes of the episode.

Also as I expected, Cilan wasn't watching that Pokemon Musical.

I liked the part where Erina's Axew thought that her "trainer" replaced her with a Swadloon, causing Iris's Emolga to electrocute everybody on the train.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Sorely disappointed with this episode, though I was sure to keep my expectations low for this one. They even reused Dento's tasting time animation. It's a travesty.

The CotD plot wasn't really that intriguing. Maybe it would have been more so if either kibago or Erina had interesting personalities, but they were both very stock.

I will admit, I was really liking Dento's strategy of swinging on the railings to attack at random points, but it was short lived and unsuccessful :/
    Ferris Wheel scene at the end was beautiful, though I wish it was just the trio. The presence of CotD kinda sullied the moment for me, sorry XD

EDIT: On a positive note, we didn't get to see Iris and Dento in the musical together *phew* my shipping lives to see another day!

"seasons change, people change"

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    Wow, what a misleading title! The Nobori/Kudari battle only lasted like 12 seconds. This is an example of why writers shouldn't cram two episode ideas into one.
    4 minutes.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

THis episode had cute moments but it wasn't remarkable. I like that Ash and Iris were playing Tennis because Tennis is my favorite sport! XP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)