REVIEW: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!" - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!"

Default Re: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!"

Hmm... The main attraction of today's ep felt pretty close to the previous (with the only difference being Cynthia and Dawn's respective pep talks to Iris and the follow-up that Iris was indeed rattled by the previous episodes results which was alright). Otherwise, what really caught my interest was honestly, Trip going full-on power-hungry bastard on us. Doesn't make seeing him and his informed threat status any more enjoyable to watch but I REALLY wish the writers ran with this sooner.

A bit off topic, but what really caught my eye was the pre-credits image. If you follow shounen pretty closely then you'll notice that a lot of characters (sans Adler and Trip) are given roles that aren't all that suiting given what we've seen of this arc (ex: Cynthia posing as if she's the puppet-master pulling the strings to a greater threat and Meloetta's serious heroine face). But it also reveals who more or less who has the battle won.

Because we all know that in these end stare down shots, the hero (usually) tends to be on the right and full of serious business while the major road block (be it big bad or serious rival) is opposite with an always confident smile on their face.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I guess they really likes Cabernet and Langley as commentators...
    I'm surprised more people don't ship the two, the writers seem to love them together.
    Surely,they can be best friends.

Blog Entries

Not gonna lie Dragonite looked pretty BA after knocking out Mamoswine. That Dragon Rush was amazing! Wish that my Dragonite was that powerful in the games.

It is a bit annoying seeing that it can just take 4x damage Ice attacks like nothing. Strange how this battle it actually is shown taking damage rather than just surviving the attacks from Beartic last week. I know in the game one Ice Shard can take Dragonite into less than half its HPs. Ice Fang is literally one hit knockout depending on the user's Attack power.

Trip, Cynthia is Paul and Ash territory so back off before the epic purple-haired rival returns and shows you how pathetic you really are!

Sad to see Crustle take a whopping like that. I was hoping for Shell Smash to be used to up its Speed for a chance of a hit.

But I will say I'm glad to see the anime showing the unpredictable movement of Seperior like a real snake. (Must be holding a Brightpowder...)

Seeing Frenzy Plant again just makes me want to see Blast Burn even more!!

A bit tired of the one second battles, its just not exciting to see so many Pokemon that could use more screentime lose it to Trip/Iris moments. It was good seeing Stunfisk win a match even though it was about 4 seconds...

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

bit late, but w/e

Well, this episode compelled me. I liked the battles, Crustle getting a loss to make his battling record be 8 wins - 2 loses because his portrayal of being an unstoppable beast got annoying and Dragonite, Stunfisk, Trip, Iris, Dawn, Cynthia, Alder, Burgundy, Georgia being their usual entertaining selves. The characterization was good as well.
    @The Fighting Misty;

If I was 10 years old I'd probably think its the best thing ever, but as an adult it really is just poor writing to give a main character an overpowered pokemon that apparently can resist 4x ice attacks. OH WELL.
    I know right? THAT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. I liked how Dawn made her Mamoswine get close to Dragonite so she could attack it in a vicinity with Ice Shard and Ice Fang. That was very clever of her.

Surprising Dawn had no real reaction to her loss.
    She got over being a crybaby in DP whenever she lost a lot. That's no surprise.

And what they do force upon feels well..."forced." We HAD to see Dragonite strong in this tournament, so the writers have Iris beat her rival and Dawn...and against two ice types no less. We HAD to see Trip as a threat for the league, so he has to come back and get a revenge match on Cilan and beat Ash in the finals, all the while using his powerful starter to do so.
    Eyup. Just like how we HAVE to see Ash get 8 badges so we could then HAVE to watch him in the League. We just HAD to see Stunfisk be happy. We just HAD to see Burgundy and Georgia interact. We just HAVE to watch what the writers write. I don't get your point.

Its like the writers forgot how to do decent development, so they just glorify whoever is supposed to look good now with little reason. I think this is what's contributing to the negative reactions to Iris and Trip from the fandom, there's really no development for these characters.
    I disagree. Trip has shown to be different in the way he acts in his battles with his anger. The characterization was good throughout.
    @Ampharos King;
    It's such a shame that Reuniclus and Cinccino had very underwhelming debuts in the anime, with neither of them being seen for more than a few seconds over these past two episodes.
    I'm so glad for that. Their prevolutions look very similar to each other.

was rather disappointed with Dawn and Mamoswine's battling performance in this episode. Although I acknowledge Dawn's decision in using Mamoswine to counter Iris's powerful Dragonite, I didn't see to see much of the coordinator's distinguished battling style here as I would have liked. In her previous battles, Dawn had her pokemon combine its attacks or utilize an opponent's attacking patterns to her advantage. This match hardly reflects or signifies her contest battling experience in DP, with most of Dawn's strategy in this battle just attacking head-on with full force.
    There weren't any of Mamoswine's attacks that could be combined or any attacks from Dragonite that could be deflected. It's extremely unrealistic for a coordinator to always be able to come up with a strategy. Besides, she still used strategy by making her Mamoswine get close to Dragonite and attacking it with Ice-type attacks.

I was astonished that the pokemon never used the Ice Shard armor combination that it used in so many of its previous contest battles.
    That combination was too dumb for words. I'm extremely glad that it didn't show up, or I'd have to bang my head on the wall because of how stupid it was in DP.

I didn't get the impression that Iris felt any fault or weakness in herself for being unable to control her Dragonite.
    Did she.... need to? If you want weakness, you have Iris being too afraid to get close to the Dragonite. I'm extremely happy that like every other sane person in this show, she didn't go into some depression because she was unable to do something.
    @Queen Cynthia;

Also, did anybody happen to understand the dialog between Cynthia and Trip?
    I know it will probably not come true but I'd love to hear something like that:

Cynthia: This icecream is delicious
    Trip: Hello, you are Cynthia, aren't you? It's a great honor to meet the best of all champions in person.
    Cynthia: Thank you, that's very nice of you. But your impressive Serperior deserves praise, too. You know, you do have a real chance of winning this tournament.
    Trip: You think so? I want to beat Alder at all costs!
    Cynthia: Don't worry about him. He used to be a formidable trainer, but now that he's forgotten how to battle, he's only a shadow of his former self.
    Oh gawd this is just hilarious. Uhh, it was Trip telling Cynthia that after he was done beating Alder, he'd go after her.
    @pokemon fan 132;
    Though unfortunately Trip and his deux ex machina Serperior(reminds me of anaconda)
    What was so deuxy about Serperior?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post

What was so deuxy about Serperior?
    Perhaps this wasn't right word to use, but strength of that Serpentior and Trip in general felt unbelievable and contrived to me. Prior to Junior Cup he was rather average dropping relatively early from Don George tournaments, just to come of in this tournament as some unstoppable force and full fledged trainer crashing everyone left and right.

Which can be noticed in his Serperior delivering OHKO hits playing around with Darmanitan and Heatmor like they were jokes, having relatively easy time with Crustle as well.

Whole purpose behind Trips role in Junior Cup is to portray him as dominant force and real threat for Unova league, regardless of events prior to that suggesting otherwise. Which is poor writing compared to treatment previous rivals like Paul got in my book.
    Mikuri, Isaac Gravity and Aura7541 like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Perhaps this wasn't right word to use, but strength of that Serpentior and Trip in general felt unbelievable and contrived to me. Prior to Junior Cup he was rather average dropping relatively early from Don George tournaments, just to come of in this tournament as some unstoppable force and full fledged trainer crashing everyone left and right.
    He came last place because the opponents he faced had Pokemon that had moves with strategies that could counter his. If he say, faced Scraggy or the Joltik, he'd surely beat them and advance. Ash could have made it last in the Donamite/Clubsplosion if he faced Montgomery's Throh first. Plus, it was the same Pokemon that made him get last place. Serperior is a different Pokemon with different power.

Which can be noticed in his Serperior delivering OHKO hits playing around with Darmanitan and Heatmor like they were jokes, having relatively easy time with Crustle as well.
    He first lowered their defences IIRC, then hit them. Not unrealistic if you ask me. Crustle didn't use Shell Smash, but I guess it was too risky with Serperior's speed. Frenzy Plant is an awfully strong move as well.

Whole purpose behind Trips role in Junior Cup is to portray him as dominant force and real threat for Unova league,
    Meh, I only feel like his Serperior is the only threat. If he used different Pokemon in the 4 other chances he was able to do so, I'd think of Trip as a whole a threat.

regardless of events prior to that suggesting otherwise. Which is poor writing compared to treatment previous rivals like Paul got in my book.
    Events prior had Trip be smart utilizing strategies and moves that Ash never saw before in his life. Trip getting last place was because of the opponents he faced. Paul was established to already have an entire team be a threat. Trip only has 1 Pokemon that is very strong. I actually like how everybody in this tournament is going to get only 1 loss. Alder is obviously going to beat Trip.(I think a summary confirmed that)

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He came last place because the opponents he faced had Pokemon that had moves with strategies that could counter his. If he say, faced Scraggy or the Joltik, he'd surely beat them and advance. Ash could have made it last in the Donamite/Clubsplosion if he faced Montgomery's Throh first. Plus, it was the same Pokemon that made him get last place. Serperior is a different Pokemon with different power.
    Which makes things all the worse. During whole BW series Trip wasn't showed like anything special with any opponent which put challenge to his battling style, easily overpowering him as we can see with Cilan and Bianca. None of his pokemon showed such speed, resistance and strength, including his starter until it evolved in Serperior.

Just to change that over night with Trip suddenly becoming unstoppable force mopping floor with everyone in this tournament.
    Different pokemon doesn't change trainer skills, and Trip never showed knowledge and ability to train his pokemon to such level of strength.

He first lowered their defences IIRC, then hit them. Not unrealistic if you ask me. Crustle didn't use Shell Smash, but I guess it was too risky with Serperior's speed. Frenzy Plant is an awfully strong move as well.
    Issue in here is that his opponents didn't even put up challenge making everyone seem like jokes and no match to Serperior strength and Trip skill(along with fact that he defeated two fire types which had big advantage like they were nothing) . And we saw frenzy plant being used before, with pokemon not being knocked down so fast like Crustle was.

When he was Snivy and Servine, he was never portrayed as something special with whole Serperior showdown being nothing more than plot device to try to make viewers start believing how Trip is reckoned force to deal with when he was in reality nothing outstanding during course of Unova series.

Fact that we never saw such strength from other of his pokemon, only confirms this even further being bad writing imo.

Events prior had Trip be smart utilizing strategies and moves that Ash never saw before in his life. Trip getting last place was because of the opponents he faced. Paul was established to already have an entire team be a threat. Trip only has 1 Pokemon that is very strong. I actually like how everybody in this tournament is going to get only 1 loss. Alder is obviously going to beat Trip.(I think a summary confirmed that)
    Same opponents which easily lost now. Well only Cilan, but still.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=pokemon fan 132;4300041]
    Which makes things all the worse. During whole BW series Trip wasn't showed like anything special with any opponent which put challenge to his battling style, easily overpowering him as we can see with Cilan and Bianca. None of his pokemon showed such speed, resistance and strength, including his starter until it evolved in Serperior.

Different Pokemon. Different level of speed, resistance and strength.

Just to change that over night with Trip suddenly becoming unstoppable force mopping floor with everyone in this tournament.
    Different pokemon doesn't change trainer skills, and Trip never showed knowledge and ability to train his pokemon to such level of strength.
    I really don't think that Trip is this unstoppable force for beating this many trainers so easily when don't know how strong their Pokemon really are. Serperior being a threat? Yes. Trip? Nope. He has never shown his training methods. Trip's compelling anger has made Serperior be more determined and have more reason to win. Basically, he's not having fun battling, which Alder wants Trip to feel.

Issue in here is that his opponents didn't even put up challenge making everyone seem like jokes and no match to Serperior strength and Trip skill(along with fact that he defeated two fire types which had big advantage like they were nothing) . And we saw frenzy plant being used before, with pokemon not being knocked down so fast like Crustle was.
    Yeah, I can see how you could feel that way. Beating the two Fire-types is making me think that he's copying Ash. I hope that it gets pointed out.

When he was Snivy and Servine, he was never portrayed as something special with whole Serperior showdown being nothing more than plot device to try to make viewers start believing how Trip is reckoned force to deal with when he was in reality nothing outstanding during course of Unova series.

Fact that we never saw such strength from other of his pokemon, only confirms this even further being bad writing imo.
    Well... We have to see such strength one way or another xD

If the writers think that they've succeeded in making me think that Trip is this threat, then they've horribly failed at that since only 1 of the 6 Pokemon he will inevitably use in his battle against Ash in the league have been established to be threats then.

Same opponents which easily lost now. Well only Cilan, but still.
    Cilan's Crustle has been portrayed to be strong, but so has Trip's Serperior.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    But dude. Cynthia is Paul's territory, bitch. >:| Trip can have his self-absorbed, self-entitled love-hatred destiny bond fuggawhatsits for Alder all he wants, but HANDS OFF of Cynthia. That is Paul's long-term goal and destiny-fudging bond and his unrequited schoolboy crush. Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mister McGregor's garden, Trip. You're pushing it as it is being an overpowered newb.
    Very very well said!
    I couldn't believe it when I first read this dull, arrogant, unlikable greenhorn Trip has the nerve to think he could actually beat Cynthia Dream on, you little idiot! But even more importantly, hands off of Cynthia, that's none of your business. You can wait until hell freezes over but you will never ever defeat her!
    I bet you Trip must have been a "victim" of ant-authoritarian education, that kind of philosophy where can do and have everything without restrictions. I hate those kids and I guess from now on I also hate that little brat Trip.

It was also cool i guess when Cynthia at start of episode managed to calm down Dragonite abit, and from champion i expected no less. You could see she radiates with certain aura which causes pokemon to respect her, knowing how to approach them.
    I always enjoy reading such nice things about Cynthia.
    (You should join our Cynthia Club if you want to :) )
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Very very well said!
    I couldn't believe it when I first read this dull, arrogant, unlikable greenhorn Trip has the nerve to think he could actually beat Cynthia Dream on, you little idiot! But even more importantly, hands off of Cynthia, that's none of your business. You can wait until hell freezes over but you will never ever defeat her!
    I bet you Trip must have been a "victim" of ant-authoritarian education, that kind of philosophy where can do and have everything without restrictions. I hate those kids and I guess from now on I also hate that little brat Trip.
    Um... What XD? EVERYBODY WANTS TO BATTLE AND BEAT CYNTHIA xD! I would too if I was in the pokeworld :3

He didn't exactly say that he thought that he was going to beat her if they ever battled. IIRC, he told her that after he beat Alder(because he thinks that he's weak and pathetic and wants him to be impressed and afraid of him), he told her that he will go after her. You could interpret it as Trip saying that Alder is not worthy, and that once he beats him he'll idolize/want to battle Cynthia.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 27th August 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Ignoring the incredibly biased and silly battle between Dragonite and Mamo, this ep was alright. It was nice to see Reuniclus and Cinccino (and Heatmor, but that had its showing in an earlier ep). I would have enjoyed it more if we saw a little more of the other battles, even if it was only an extra scene; it looked like Stunfisk one hit Cinccino at first which made me lol. I know they're only filler battles but they might aswell have not even bothered showing them at all and just told us that they had all advanced to the next round.

And as much as I think Trip isn't the greatest rival, his Serperior is amazing and I love it ;__; When it was battling Dent it was so quick. Plus, pro points for Frenzy Plant because that's a great move to see.

Oh and the banter between Cabernet and Langley never gets old so I enjoyed that (as always).
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

TV Tokyo ratings: 5.2%

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    No shock there, right?
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    No shock there, right?
    To be honest, I doubt that the ratings actually are based on the quality of the episode. If that was the case, then you'd think that the Ash Vs. Suwama episode would receive a much higher ranking than it did, as its rating was the worst one ever, and yet was an incredible episode.
    HumanDawn likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    No shock there, right?
    To be honest, I doubt that the ratings actually are based on the quality of the episode. If that was the case, then you'd think that the Ash Vs. Suwama episode would receive a much higher ranking than it did, as its rating was the worst one ever, and yet was an incredible episode.
    Plus, how could the viewers know that they wouldn't like it if they haven't watched it yet? 5.2% after 3 weeks of no new episode must have made people lose interest.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 23rd August 2012, 05:26 AM