REVIEW: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!" - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 91 "Power Battle! Iris VS Hikari!!"

tsk tsk tsk... Where to start? Let's go with the positive and work our way down (three guesses which character I was utterly bored by in this episode and in my opinion, totally ruined it and this whole arc...)

Burgundy and Cabernet were just hilarious and I love the way these two interacted with one another and reacted to one another. Easily the most entertaining part of this episode. I also liked the bit between Shooti and Adeku. Maggyo's reaction to his first win was priceless and I liked that Iwaparesu lost. It wasn't a great battle, far from it, so I don't mind that it was the fall guy in the battle. Better him than Maggyo or Yanappu. Dent had his usual funny stuff too, so that side of the episode was good.

Pacing wise, this is just really uninteresting to see rounds fly by with just split second footage from the battle. I would have liked to see how Maggyo earns his win because both his battle against Luke and Fuuro were really original and well written. Speaking of well-written original battles, this episode was cruelly lacking in that department. Visually more interesting than last week's but based on the same format. Kairyu takes in a shit ton of attacks, have it all have no effect cause his level of power makes Arceus look weak, while the opponent repeatedly and mindlessly calls out attacks because they're apparently not good enough to think of any strategy. No strategy, no combinations, no nothing on Hikari's side and that was extremely underwhelming when her style has always been about combining both style and aggression when it came down to Mammoo.

What's really sad is that they really treated Hikari as Iris' puppet in this episode. I'm not even sure she interacted with another character than Iris, and promptly congratulated Iris and told her she was really great. Even Kairyu is starting to obey (why it disobeyed in the first place is a mystery, but...) and the storyline is pretty much Iris is once again exempt of any blame, any struggle, any conflict, and is right all along.

Yawn.

Man, there really rushing through these battles huh. Another poor episode. I just can't see why Dragonite joined Iris in the 1st place. And boy that was a boring battle. Did Dawn forget that she is a coordinator?

Yawn. On to next week. I like that Ash is switching up his pokes each match, instead of using his most powerful all the time (Trip and Iris)

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I liked the Dawn/Iris battle, it left a sour taste in my mouth that Dawn lost. Even Iris seemed angry at Dragonite for not obeying her, understanding that she wasn't in control of her win. I believe Georgia/Burundgly commented on it too.

Mamoswine really should have won here, and then we could have seen Ash beat Dawn with Krok evolving against it. Dragonite already got a big win against an ice type like Beatric, it didn't need another one.

I also know its been discussed already, but I dislike the fact that all the early matches were skipped and/or one-hit KO fests. Pretty dull and pointless IMO.
    Aura7541 likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is one word with which i can describe this episode: Awfully rushed.

This episode is typical example of writers cramming too many things in short period of time. We basically had all quarterfinal battles and one from semi-finals being covered in 20 to 25 minutes.

But overall i can say it was still fairly entertaining. Battle between Iris and Dawn was easily highlight of whole episode following clash of two titans(Mamoswine and Dragonite) battling each other. Even though Dragonite was awfully overpowered throwing Mamoswine like toy, i was glad to see that Dawn proved to be much tougher opponent than Langley was with ice attacks from giant tusk pokemon managing to actually hurt Dragonite leaving some effect on yellow beast.
    It was also cool i guess when Cynthia at start of episode managed to calm down Dragonite abit, and from champion i expected no less. You could see she radiates with certain aura which causes pokemon to respect her, knowing how to approach them.
    And its relieving to see how Dragonite still doesn't completely obey, so there perhaps exist still time to avoid this issue being resolved in terribly rushed manner(though i lost faith in this). But to be honest he is starting to grow on me with his expressions and personality.

Langley and Burgundy interactions in here really added humor and entertainment value and their arguing and sorrow made my day.

Oh i almost forgot. It was about time Cilan Stunfisk won battle for a change, making me VERY pleased. Though unfortunately Trip and his deux ex machina Serperior(reminds me of anaconda) were too much for poor Crustle. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

Surprising Dawn had no real reaction to her loss. It really does feel like she's just a background character in this tournament rather than being the star of her cameo arc. Even most of this tournament focuses on all the other characters over her.
    To be honest, in May cameo main star was more new girl at that time Dawn than anyone else too.

Besides why would loss in here leave any effect on Dawn?
    She grew as character since early and mid DP days being a lot more secure and confident in her abilities, learning to handle loss. Not to mention this defeat didn't affected career setting her backwards, to warrant to be upset about it.
    I don't know. I viewed this battle as clash between two friends with both girls enjoying in it , no matter what outcome would be.

I wouldn't say Dawn participating in there was pointless either because Dawn still had chance to enter tournament with strong competition gathering knowledge from first hand about strategy and way of battling trainers from Unova practice enriching her own abilities with both wins and defeats allowing that she learns what works and what doesn't.

Which can be noticed in battling adjusting her style and strategy which became more raw and straightforward, which was purpose behind journey in first place being aware how style she used in DP has to change, with Hoenn coordinators battling more like trainers, if May journey was anything to go by.
    She adapted herself to different methodology of battling. At least that's the way i see it.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 24th August 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    There were only a few good things about this episode. The greatest had to be all the Langley/Cabernet interaction. The other was Maggyo finally winning a battle. Too bad it was only for like one second... The rest I didn't much care for.
    The Mamoswine Vs. Dragonite battle was still fairly entertaining even with Dawn's loss. That Dragonite is an unstoppable beast. If I was 10 years old I'd probably think its the best thing ever, but as an adult it really is just poor writing to give a main character an overpowered pokemon that apparently can resist 4x ice attacks. OH WELL.

Surprising Dawn had no real reaction to her loss. It really does feel like she's just a background character in this tournament rather than being the star of her cameo arc. Even most of this tournament focuses on all the other characters over her.
    I rather love that Dragonite, is so full of personality, while showing the same range of emotions and never a shred of happiness.
    Although I have to say, more than Iris who not deserving it, quite the contrary is true. Well, ok Dragonite knows how to fight without the help of anyone, but it could also avoid snubbing her so much. Or is it something "I've let you catch me without effort, now earn my respect"?
    It seems to have a rancor toward the world, that Pkmn. Could it had a painful past? According to me it also had another Trainer.
    Maybe for Dawn was really a pleasant pastime that Tournament, certainly not on Trip's burning motivation.
    Surely Dragonite trained itself very well to become the wall it's now. And I still wondering: male or female? Iris has 2 male Pkmn and 1 female,so Dragonite could be a...girl.

Let me say,there is just too much nostalgia-comparison for the anime.
    Last edited by Snow Spade; 24th August 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Blog Entries

They should have given Dawn some accomplishment in this tournament before losing to Dragonite. Her only win being a 2 second battle with Piplup against a Stoutland was pathetic. If I were a major Dawn fan I'd be disappointed that she wasn't focused on much at all in this tournament, the entire focus was on Iris, Trip and the rest of the BW cast. Its almost as if Dawn herself was the random background character in this, when in reality she was the guest character.

Yes Mamoswine did a great deal of damage to Dragonite, but it wasn't really enough. It almost feels like the writers had a lack of enthusiasm regarding Dawn in the series as if she's only brought back just for traditions sake rather than if they really wanted to use her again.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Yes Mamoswine did a great deal of damage to Dragonite, but it wasn't really enough. It almost feels like the writers had a lack of enthusiasm regarding Dawn in the series as if she's only brought back just for traditions sake rather than if they really wanted to use her again.
    Season 2 feels like that in general imo. Dawn comes back and doesn't really do much of importance, they bring in Meloetta who just flits about in the background, Caitlin is around for a single episode. It all just feels so pointless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    Season 2 feels like that in general imo. Dawn comes back and doesn't really do much of importance, they bring in Meloetta who just flits about in the background, Caitlin is around for a single episode. It all just feels so pointless.
    And what they do force upon feels well..."forced." We HAD to see Dragonite strong in this tournament, so the writers have Iris beat her rival and Dawn...and against two ice types no less. We HAD to see Trip as a threat for the league, so he has to come back and get a revenge match on Cilan and beat Ash in the finals, all the while using his powerful starter to do so.

Its like the writers forgot how to do decent development, so they just glorify whoever is supposed to look good now with little reason. I think this is what's contributing to the negative reactions to Iris and Trip from the fandom, there's really no development for these characters.

Oh,for me it's like writers want a new way to do Pkmn animé. Old seasons were really good,as this. It's just people who were children in the Kanto/Jotho Sagas... become more exigent.

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

Oh hey, it's Cinccino, one of my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon. I'm sure it'll pack a-- well, then.

Sweet Reuniclus! I hope it goes down with a figh-- oh ok.

I guess some debuts are more equal than others! (Wait, I'm getting deja vu here...) Is it bad that I think they should've debuted in some filler episode?

Yeeesh, talk about a rushed episode. Like a few others, I'm having the feeling that Season 2 is just so...uninspired. It's like this episode could've been better, but it falls flat for some reason.

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Ok, so Trip actually wants to challenge and defeat Cynthia once he is finished with Alder? That really is biting off more than you can chew there considering that Cynthia has kicked Paul's ass, defeated 3 E4 members and tied with another because of a time limit...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trip may be annoying me enough already by suddenly being portrayed as a threat out of nowhere and getting very forced, hollow victories all because Alder is a thing in this tournament...

But dude. Cynthia is Paul's territory, bitch. >:| Trip can have his self-absorbed, self-entitled love-hatred destiny bond fuggawhatsits for Alder all he wants, but HANDS OFF of Cynthia. That is Paul's long-term goal and destiny-fudging bond and his unrequited schoolboy crush. Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mister McGregor's garden, Trip. You're pushing it as it is being an overpowered newb.

It really is no surprise how it's my two least favorite characters that are primarily responsible for ruining this tournament. Everyone else literally gets boned except them, though I guess we know why Burgundy was even in this arc to begin with: so Georgia could have someone to talk to during downtime to make at least a small percentage of the episode entertaining.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    It really is no surprise how it's my two least favorite characters that are primarily responsible for ruining this tournament. Everyone else literally gets boned except them, though I guess we know why Burgundy was even in this arc to begin with: so Georgia could have someone to talk to during downtime to make at least a small percentage of the episode entertaining.
    The fact that the writers have been treating this tournament as a demolition derby for Dragonite with Iris taking a front row seat is, in my opinion, really disrespectful to Georgia and Dawn. They have more experience and worked much harder to get to the point they are at as trainers while Iris is spamming a disobedient pseudo-legendary that just fell on her lap the episode before the tournament began. Also, the writers' decision to use Burgundy and Georgia for comedy relief rather than developing their characters is not cool at all and the fact that their interactions are the most entertaining parts of the tournament arc is sad.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

I guess they really likes Cabernet and Langley as commentators...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I guess they really likes Cabernet and Langley as commentators...
    I'm surprised more people don't ship the two, the writers seem to love them together.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 23rd August 2012, 05:26 AM